A PEN ?

chuckcolvin50

I am new and have found a PEN ? never paid attention to the pens before, this one wouldn't work. Read it and found that it is a souvenir trackable ? from PWCinPC it has a TB# , i tried to log that i had it and it will not log ????? so how do i log a pen ????

thank you for helping

chuckcolvin50

Do you mean this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1765294

If that's the one, I have no idea how a trackable can be for "discovery only" yet be moved from cache to cache.

Perhaps you should contact the trackable owner PWCinPC

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=64d4b732-2c05-4ce1-b018-3401e442cd1d

B.

Reading the logs, it becomes apparent that the TO has put one travel bug number on many pens. These are probably being used as a signature item left in caches. Since there is only one number for all of the pens, anyone "grabbing" the pen interferes with what the TO is trying to do, which is track who has found his signature item. Surely using a TB number in this way is against the "rules".

Edited by fbingha

Looks like bunches of promo ink pens. Is there a tracking # (the same one?) on each and every pen?

Yes! I was given one of these pens by the TO at an event (funny that as I read the OP, I expected it was this same pen!).

I wouldn't advise everyone make such Trackables, but if only one pen is traveling, and the rest don't get "discovered" in many odd places, maybe it's no big deal. Just a little confusing.

Here is another travel bug spammer. One travel bug number is being put on signature tokens.

How many "wrong logs" does it take to cause a Trackable to get locked? Just asking, because cachers make pages and pages of "Auto-Visits", long after losing the Trackable (due to some forgotten automatic setting in some App), TPTB don't seem all that concerned when that happens (more often than you'd expect). AND anyone can log a Trackable from anywhere on the planet, using the "Note Log" function, and that seems to also be of no concern...

What if the Trackable specifies to make log "Notes" only? Do that via the "Reference Number", maybe.

AND anyone can log a Trackable from anywhere on the planet, using the "Note Log" function, and that seems to also be of no concern...

I don't see what the problem is with this. It doesn't add the trackable to the list of trackables you've interacted with or increment your trackable count, so I can't conceive of it being abused. If a trackable is missing and you want to say so on its page, a note is the only way to do so, because the other log types all require the tracking code. Can you explain why you see notes as being a problem?

AND anyone can log a Trackable from anywhere on the planet, using the "Note Log" function, and that seems to also be of no concern...

I don't see what the problem is with this. It doesn't add the trackable to the list of trackables you've interacted with or increment your trackable count, so I can't conceive of it being abused. If a trackable is missing and you want to say so on its page, a note is the only way to do so, because the other log types all require the tracking code. Can you explain why you see notes as being a problem?

I only asked in the context of other logs being a problem (that quoted sentence was only a part of a lucid train of thought). What I meant to say is "If you can log a bazillion Notes from everywhere in the world just fine, why lock a Trackable after a few rogue 'Discover logs', if the TO doesn't mind?"

I'm really liking my "Reference Number" idea for a Sig Pen like the one in the OP. Hand them out, they get Note logs only, if any. In practice, the OP pen hardly gets logged at all. It's like most any Sig Item in a cache, it evaporates without trace.

Edited by kunarion

The OP and the Token maker that I listed above are not using reference numbers, they are using the tracking code. Otherwise, the items wouldn't be constantly moving and being discovered.

That's true. I have one of those pens. I didn't log mine (not even a Note), due to the possibility if the Trackable being locked (and not wanting to be the one the causes that, not knowing when the lock might occur).

You know what might be a good Feature Suggesstion: The ability of a TO to shut off "getting an icon" or "getting a Trackable count" (or have GS do that rather than "locking" all logs). Then, when a Trackable is being logged in odd ways (Facebook-Posted Number, bunch of Sig Items with the same number, whatever), it's no big deal. All logs would then be the same thing as Note Logs.

Edited by kunarion

Umm this is a problem and abuse of the rules? Really? Come to the Florida panhandle and you will likely find one of these or other pens marked with a TB number. If you are at a event I know you will be give one. And yes it likely will not work as they have been made awhile ago. 8-)

If having fun like this is abuse of the rules then are families with home crafted t-shirts in trouble? Same number on several shirts there.

Just log a Discovered It log with were you got it. Take the credit. If might give the owner a smile. Which is kind of the point.

Steven

Reading the logs, it becomes apparent that the TO has put one travel bug number on many pens. These are probably being used as a signature item left in caches. Since there is only one number for all of the pens, anyone "grabbing" the pen interferes with what the TO is trying to do, which is track who has found his signature item. Surely using a TB number in this way is against the "rules".

Yes it is and if someone got annoyed enough to report it to the froggie it would be locked immediately.