Setting a private cache

SkipMorrow

There must be a dozen or so posts here requesting information on setting up private caches. Most (maybe all) of them suggest instead just manually entering the GPS coordinates into the GPS receiver. While that is possible, I still want to be able to set up a private cache so I can train my daughter how to find the caches using the geocaching app on my phone, since that is how we will find real caches. I guess this just isn't possible. Or is it? Or maybe the answer is "don't use the geocaching.com app and get a real GPS instead". Then do the training as suggested.

Well, we have done that (she is barely 8), and she loves it, but I think she would learn faster if there were four or six caches in my back yard. The repetition and proximity would aid in the learning process.

I think the bottom line is there is a need/desire for private caches. I'm not the only one that has asked for this. I think geocaching.com should seriously consider adding it as a benefit for membership. Just a suggestion. The reality is, after a few more caches, she will have the hang of it and I won't need the private caches.

Is going out to either Western Branch park or Bennetts creek park possible, they both have 5 or so caches in close proximity away from busy streets. I just had a look on the map close to where you got your first few caches and these were the first two patches of green. Caches in parks / countryside are easier to learn on (unless there is a lot of tree cover), but to be honest, the best way to learn is to find an area with quite a high saturation of caches, take some sandwiches and a drink and go for it.

Good luck

Well, we have done that (she is barely 8), and she loves it, but I think she would learn faster if there were four or six caches in my back yard. The repetition and proximity would aid in the learning process.

I think the bottom line is there is a need/desire for private caches. I'm not the only one that has asked for this. I think geocaching.com should seriously consider adding it as a benefit for membership. Just a suggestion. The reality is, after a few more caches, she will have the hang of it and I won't need the private caches.

I'm confused. What is stopping you from just creating a Word document that looks like a cache page, and populating the information with your own coords for caches in your yard?

You could always go to a park with a couple caches in it. However it is Groundspeaks opinion-and they own the website so they can do what they want-that all caches listed on the site be available to everyone. Even Premium Member Only caches are allowed to be logged by basic members through a "backdoor" method that they know about.

You could make a cache near your house with a couple waypoints around the block. That

way you could still navigate to the waypoints-could even put a fake cache there-through your phone app.

Add me to the list here of those who don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Can you not take waypoints with your app and save them, thus creating the "cache" for your daughter to find? Are you looking for a cache write up? Create a cache page, do the write up, print it out. Modify the coordinates, print it out and repeat as necessary for however many waypoints you want to try. Just don't submit the cache for review.

Most backyards aren't that big so I would be a little concerned about proximity issues. Your waypoints might overlap given typical GPS error.

Here's the way I do it now. I use an Android phone for gps and I use the official geocaching.com app. I pre-scout where I want to look for a cache (like a park or specific area) from the actual website from my computer and I mentally select a few caches that look interesting. I drive the the park/general location and open the geocaching app on my phone and have it search for nearby caches. Since I am in the area, the caches I want will be at the top. Tap on the cache I selected earlier, choose navigate, bada bing, bada boom, I'm geocaching. Now, if I had pre-placed a few of my own private caches, they would show up on the website as part of the planning process (but only visible to me, and notated as "private"). Then when I get to the area where I placed the caches (like my backyard), I would open the app and search for nearby caches. Again, my private caches would show up at the top. Then I could choose navigate and go find the private caches.

What's more, having private caches would even give people practice placing caches before placing official ones. They could place the private caches and let a friend know about it. Maybe have a system where you could allow certain people to have access to the private caches. They could then review the description, hints, whatever, and then look for the cache, and provide feedback to the person who placed it. I think some people might be a little nervous about placing a cache that is open for other people to find because they might think they have done something wrong.

Anyway, having private caches allows people to experience and train in the entire process, from beginning to end, without having to set up a real, public cache, or simulating one or more steps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely give those a look. They are actually both pretty close to where I live.

Is going out to either Western Branch park or Bennetts creek park possible, they both have 5 or so caches in close proximity away from busy streets. I just had a look on the map close to where you got your first few caches and these were the first two patches of green. Caches in parks / countryside are easier to learn on (unless there is a lot of tree cover), but to be honest, the best way to learn is to find an area with quite a high saturation of caches, take some sandwiches and a drink and go for it.

Good luck

<snip>

.. They could place the private caches and let a friend know about it. Maybe have a system where you could allow certain people to have access to the private caches. They could then review the description, hints, whatever, and then look for the cache, and provide feedback to the person who placed it. I think some people might be a little nervous about placing a cache that is open for other people to find because they might think they have done something wrong.

<snip>

This is what I was afraid you were going to be leading up to. It sounds great, until you multiply this by all the millions of others who geocache. Then, instead of getting a worldwide game, you have people only sharing their caches with their friends an family, and since they 'aren't getting published' and don't go through a reviewer, you will also get every cache turned down at review level being privately published, people pulling their previously published caches and only letting their friends and family see them. So fulfilling this simple request would change the face of geocaching completely. Then the serious accidents start happening because caches are placed in dangerous places, and the thousands of lawsuits spring up and close the whole thing down. bada bing.

I do like the idea, but I don't think it would work on a worldwide scale using geocaching.com. Perhaps, as someone said, there is a side game which could mean people could do this using a different website or phone app.

Alternatively, hide the caches where you want, add the waypoints and have your daughter find the cache using your waypoints. (That is how most people use the available technology to hide caches and test out the coordinates, sending the waypoint to a friend or family member, before sending the cache page for review and publication.)

That's a legitimate concern, for sure, and I hadn't thought of that. I don't think it would be as bad as you suggest, but who knows?

Well, I have rambled on this long enough. Maybe the folks at gc.com will see this and implement it, or not. The bottom line is I am teaching my daughter by using real caches. She'll get it quick enough, I'm sure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Skip

Another abuse just occurred to me, with private caches, whats to stop people creating hundreds of private caches on a sock account, then driving up their numbers and stats then archiving the cache so the same location could be reused over and over. The best way to learn is find some nice easy 1/1 caches and get out there. Also you could find an experienced local geocacher and go out with them for the first couple of caches.

Another abuse just occurred to me, with private caches, whats to stop people creating hundreds of private caches on a sock account, then driving up their numbers and stats then archiving the cache so the same location could be reused over and over. The best way to learn is find some nice easy 1/1 caches and get out there. Also you could find an experienced local geocacher and go out with them for the first couple of caches.

Good point. I also think that a youngster the age of the OP's daughter is thrilled to just be out with dad (or mom, or both) and that the "learning" part will come naturally. And the look of genuine surprise on each other's face upon discovering a never-before-found cache will be priceless.

hide the caches where you want, add the waypoints and have your daughter find the cache using your waypoints

This is exactly what I am doing. I hide a cache and make a waypoint with my phone. Take it inside and give it to her. She usually figures out where they are before she even gets to the waypoint. For a five year old; she has some seriously good Geosense. In fact she told me the other day that, compared to her; my Geosense was laughable. Her words.

*GeoPunx*