Is there a spell checker?

redants

Just wondering-

When reading an average cache description, it is usually well written. But sometimes, there are caches with spelling mistakes. True, these may be typos, but when writing a cache description recently I spelt a word wrong, and I knew something was wrong. It took me days to find it (the error). Is there a spell check on the website [cache placement form]? It frustrates me while proofreading, as the misspelt words are not easily spotted.

Just wondering-

When reading an average cache description, it is usually well written. But sometimes, there are caches with spelling mistakes. True, these may be typos, but when writing a cache description recently I spelt a word wrong, and I knew something was wrong. It took me days to find it (the error). Is there a spell check on the website [cache placement form]? It frustrates me while proofreading, as the misspelt words are not easily spotted.

It will depend on your browser but you should be able to find a spellchecker plug-in that will check text boxes for spelling.

Internet Explorer has IEspell and Firefox has several

Unfortunately, spellcheckers only go so far.

Glaringly bad grammar won't phase a spellchecker.

Homophones are the worst, spelled correctly but make no sense in the context of the sentence.

Some folks seem to be blessed (cursed) with the ability to spot these on the first pass.

Probably your best option is to have a trusted friend proof-read your text for you...after letting your spellchecker have a go at it.

Just wondering-

Not that I'm aware of, but using any word processor available you can type the text, and use the spellchecker etc. on it and then cut and paste the text into your cache page.

Problem with spellcheckers is that many times you have to make sure they are for the correct language.

I'm sure you will run into the problem that many default to United Statesian (US'n for short). They like to remove all the 'u's we spent so many years getting into words, for example. :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

I use FireFox which spell-checks everything I write. It immediately underlines misspelled words. My spelling has improved dramatically since I've been using it.

It doesn't require that you turn it on or activate a checker. It's always working.

I'm glad I switched from internet explorer.

Of course you've got to know the difference between two, to and too, and things like that.

Badly misspelled cache pages bother me too.

Just wondering-

There is a spell checker available in any of the text entry boxes in Geocaching pages.

This includes all text boxes on the cache submission form as well as logs.

Even in this text entry box I am using now !!!

Just Right Click anywhere in the box - it's at the bottom of the menu.

Right click on an underlined word, and it can give you some rather imaginative suggestions !!!

Edited by Olddffart

I'm not sure the problem is as specific as a spell checker. Some descriptions are so bad it's obvious the CO didn't even read them over, just clicked submit and has never looked back.

"Never looked back" says it well - if they did, they'd see the typos in their cache listing. Everyone knows they can edit the text even after publication, right?