ATVRider GeoCASHing contest

Navi-Gatr

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.atvrideronline.com/features/1208_atvp_geocashing_with_atv_rider_magazine/index.html

Is it sanctioned by the Frog?

It looks like not only will the ATV's be digging up the landscape but the riders themselves will be doing it too!

"Eli Madero buried some exceptional swag while he was enjoying this issue's coverage of the Eastern Sierra ATV Jamboree"

http://www.atvrideronline.com/features/1208_atvp_geocashing_with_atv_rider_magazine/index.html

It looks like not only will the ATV's be digging up the landscape but the riders themselves will be doing it too!

"Eli Madero buried some exceptional swag while he was enjoying this issue's coverage of the Eastern Sierra ATV Jamboree"

What makes you assume that ATV's will be digging up the landscape? Most ATV trails are already dedicated Forest Service roads, and some are closed part time, especially during hunting. Me personally, I'll take a few hours to go 10-20 miles one way on an ATV on a Forest Service road in back country Idaho over taking a weekend to hike and camp for the goal of one geocache. We (most offroaders/ATVers and I) either a members or follow the principles of a program called "Tread Lightly", advocating being responsible off roaders, like staying on trails only, pack it in, pack it out.

http://treadlightly.org/

There's even a link about "responsible geocaching" on Treadlightly.org.

http://treadlightly.org/tread-lightlys-tips-for-responsible-geocaching/

How many times have you hiked off trail 200ft to retrieve a geocache? I'm sure these ATVers (and most off road clubs) are doing MUCH LESS damage than you think. I'm pretty sure they would leave the ATV parked on the trail and walk the 200' to the "geocash".

As for them burying the containers, I'm not a fan of that much.

Actually, this is what got me into geocaching in the first place. A 4WD magazine posted coords at the bottom of a page and a High Lift jack was hidden at those coords. I never partook in the contests, but it sparked my interest.

Edited by gustav129

remember that "geocaching" is not synonomous with "Groundspeak."

Any person or company can hide their own geocaches for whatever purpose they want to.

If they want it listed on the Groundspeak website, they have to follow certain rules.

I don't especially like ATV's, but these folks seem to be minding their own business.

remember that "geocaching" is not synonomous with "Groundspeak."

Any person or company can hide their own geocaches for whatever purpose they want to.

If they want it listed on the Groundspeak website, they have to follow certain rules.

I don't especially like ATV's, but these folks seem to be minding their own business.

I'll bet, though, that there have been times when Groundspeak wishes they had registered that as a trademark! I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading once that that was a deliberate decision by the founders.

What makes you assume that ATV's will be digging up the landscape? Most ATV trails are already dedicated Forest Service roads, and some are closed part time, especially during hunting. Me personally, I'll take a few hours to go 10-20 miles one way on an ATV on a Forest Service road in back country Idaho over taking a weekend to hike and camp for the goal of one geocache. We (most offroaders/ATVers and I) either a members or follow the principles of a program called "Tread Lightly", advocating being responsible off roaders, like staying on trails only, pack it in, pack it out.

http://treadlightly.org/

There's even a link about "responsible geocaching" on Treadlightly.org.

http://treadlightly.org/tread-lightlys-tips-for-responsible-geocaching/

How many times have you hiked off trail 200ft to retrieve a geocache? I'm sure these ATVers (and most off road clubs) are doing MUCH LESS damage than you think. I'm pretty sure they would leave the ATV parked on the trail and walk the 200' to the "geocash".

As for them burying the containers, I'm not a fan of that much.

Actually, this is what got me into geocaching in the first place. A 4WD magazine posted coords at the bottom of a page and a High Lift jack was hidden at those coords. I never partook in the contests, but it sparked my interest.

I'm a member of the Harlin County Ridge Runners ATV Club and we maintain yearly permits for the Black Mountain ATV Park in Evarts, Ky. I love to watch the rock crawlers, the only things I see getting torn up are vehicles. Build them, Break them, Fix them is their motto. Not mine, mine is keep the rubber side down and don't fall off. :) About all of my ATV friends own a GPS unit of some type or a phone app, but none are geocachers. :(

Now I take offense to that. I have never been on an ATV but I have met several RESPONSIBLE riders, a lot who use them for work as well. You're just assuming they are all bad people because of a few who actually hard. These people work hard to get rid of their negative image, maintaining dedicated trails and even helping local search and rescue groups and having charity events. It's just like a land owner assuming us geocachers are looking for something buried and won't allow a geocache because he thinks we will dig up the land-even though the guidelines prohibit anything buried.

Now I take offense to that. I have never been on an ATV but I have met several RESPONSIBLE riders, a lot who use them for work as well. You're just assuming they are all bad people because of a few who actually hard. These people work hard to get rid of their negative image, maintaining dedicated trails and even helping local search and rescue groups and having charity events. It's just like a land owner assuming us geocachers are looking for something buried and won't allow a geocache because he thinks we will dig up the land-even though the guidelines prohibit anything buried.

That's just it. That's why I posted Tread Lightly. We in the offroad world try VERY hard to show that we all aren't like the stupid few.

My wife and I are responsable avid 4 wheelers, put on a great event in the Tillamook State Forest with the help of the Oregon department of Forestry (that the procedes went to The CandleLighters for families children with cancer), and are members of TreadLightly!. I just had to help with the sidetrack of this thread :D , just because we are in a gas powered vehicle off the pavement, does not mean we are 'tearing up the landscape' B) .

It's the stereotype thing, "You ATVers", "You 4Wheelers"...well, "Some Geocachers" do things that may give the 'other' cachers a bad name. We have designated OHV parks and trail systems that are legal to wheel, you can't just go anywhere. The state monitors them closely, if too much errosion is going to happen they will close a trail, for instance a trail may be closed in the winter months. If we see someone on the trail that is tearing up the woods, we try to inform them that we don't need more trails closed. It's not only the Forestry dept doing the policing, we police it ourselves to a point.

Sorry, just venting a bit. It's just something we feel passionate about, we have been doing it together as a family for over ten years and our lives pretty much revolve around it.

Edited by Pontoffel Pock

ATV riding is what got us into geocaching more than 10 years ago. We went riding in the Long Ridge section of the Wayne National Forest (southeast Ohio) and promptly got temporarily bewildered (some call it "lost") on the switchback trails there. After finally figuring our way out, I vowed that we would not be getting ourselves into that situation again. A Meridian Gold GPS and a RAM handlebar mount were added to our equipment. Did a little research, and found out about this geocaching hobby.

Many public ATV riding areas, at least in the eastern USA, are on established ATV trails. Permits are usually required, licenses required, insurance required, safety equipment required, noise limits established, and so on. Trails are sometimes closed off or re-routed, and after a year you usually cannot even tell there had been a trail there. ATV riders are not the anti-nature earth-destroying boogeymen that some people try to stereotype. Blending ATV riding and geocaching can often be rewarding without ill effects to anything (except your wallet, and sometimes your hide).

My wife and I are responsable avid 4 wheelers, put on a great event in the Tillamook State Forest with the help of the Oregon department of Forestry (that the procedes went to The CandleLighters for families children with cancer), and are members of TreadLightly!. I just had to help with the sidetrack of this thread :D , just because we are in a gas powered vehicle off the pavement, does not mean we are 'tearing up the landscape' B) .

It's the stereotype thing, "You ATVers", "You 4Wheelers"...well, "Some Geocachers" do things that may give the 'other' cachers a bad name. We have designated OHV parks and trail systems that are legal to wheel, you can't just go anywhere. The state monitors them closely, if too much errosion is going to happen they will close a trail, for instance a trail may be closed in the winter months. If we see someone on the trail that is tearing up the woods, we try to inform them that we don't need more trails closed. It's not only the Forestry dept doing the policing, we police it ourselves to a point.

Sorry, just venting a bit. It's just something we feel passionate about, we have been doing it together as a family for over ten years and our lives pretty much revolve around it.

It's a fine of upwards to $10,000 if caught with a vehicle on a closed trail, off the trail, or straight up destroying public lands. A few fines like that issued in this area took care of most of the unresponsible offroaders around here.

Edited by gustav129