Enable Corrected Coords on ALL Cache Types

Semper Questio

Currently this feature is only available on selected types, most notably puzzles. However, this feature would also be very helpful on all cache types as there are many occasions when better coordinates are provided by cache finders but the owner never changes them. Being able to correct them would be very handy. This ability would also be useful for those occasions when a CO moves their cache put does not use the proper new coordinates log to indicate the move.

It would be nice. It's only happened once where the CO listed new coords in a note. It was quite a few logs back, so I never saw it. The GPS uploaded the old coords and I was 200ft off. I went back that night and scrolled through the logs, and found the coords.

In this particular case, the "Corrected Coords" wouldn't have helped me.

2 1/2 years later...... This Feature still isn't implemented :-(

It's only been 2.5 years, give them a chance....

There have been so many much more pressing and universally requested ("shiny") things that the development team hasn't had the bandwidth to work on this one.

Like the message centre. And HTML emails. And other user interface pessimisations.....

I recently had cause to wish for this feature. We've been working on the series of "play anywhere" Wherigo hangman caches - with 4 different caches in each of 18 states. As we solve each one, it sure would be nice to be able to correct the co-ords, (visible only to us - just like a puzzle), so we'd know about where they are for whenever/if we visit that particular state.

I think it would also be handy for long multi's. We have some within an hour's drive of us that are quite excellent and cover quite a bit of ground, so we work on them off and on. It sure would be easier to be able to update the co-ords to whatever stage we left off at.

Since the logic already exists for puzzle caches, surely it wouldn't take much development time to add it to at least some of the other cache types, if not all? Please? :)

Mrs. Car54

I recently had cause to wish for this feature. We've been working on the series of "play anywhere" Wherigo hangman caches - with 4 different caches in each of 18 states. As we solve each one, it sure would be nice to be able to correct the co-ords, (visible only to us - just like a puzzle), so we'd know about where they are for whenever/if we visit that particular state.

I think it would also be handy for long multi's. We have some within an hour's drive of us that are quite excellent and cover quite a bit of ground, so we work on them off and on. It sure would be easier to be able to update the co-ords to whatever stage we left off at.

That's what I like about software like GSAK. I almost never use the corrected coordinates on the website but use them in GSAK for mysteries. On multi's I just add waypoints myself. When exporting the caches to the GPS I then have all WPs as POI's. Since I also put all found info into the notes section of GSAK I also have them on the GPS exported as the first log.

That's what I like about software like GSAK. I almost never use the corrected coordinates on the website but use them in GSAK for mysteries. On multi's I just add waypoints myself. When exporting the caches to the GPS I then have all WPs as POI's. Since I also put all found info into the notes section of GSAK I also have them on the GPS exported as the first log.

I like GSAK. I use it all the time. However, I don't think it should be cited as a substitute for functionality that geocaching.com users have requested frequently. First, it's not free. I paid for it in 2007 but didn't upgrade when the 8.x version came out because I don't cache enough to justify paying for it again. I, have, however paid for the GS premium membership since 2007 and would like see my money go towards features it's users ask for. The fact that some other commercial piece of software can be used as a work around doesn't reduce my dissatisfaction with what I'm getting for the money I pay to GS.

Somewhat related to having corrected coordinates on all cache types is the inability to search for caches with corrected coordinates *and* be able to download a list of those caches in bulk. I've been working on solving puzzle caches located in a place where I'll be traveling to in a couple of months. As that area has a *lot* of puzzles I want to create a PQ which excludes puzzle caches and one which only includes puzzle caches that I have solved (and have entered corrected coordinates). The new search allows me to select caches with corrected coordinates, but to create a list of those caches I have to visit each listing one by one to download to waypoint or add it to a PQ.

IMHO, the ability to search for cache listings based on a specific criteria and download those way points in order to go out and find geocache is the essence of what the geocaching.com site should provide. Instead, what we have is a hodgepodge of old and new search engines, a map page which *sometimes* will show the cache listing when clicking on an icon, and a shiney new message center.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I like GSAK. I use it all the time. However, I don't think it should be cited as a substitute for functionality that geocaching.com users have requested frequently. First, it's not free. I paid for it in 2007 but didn't upgrade when the 8.x version came out because I don't cache enough to justify paying for it again. I, have, however paid for the GS premium membership since 2007 and would like see my money go towards features it's users ask for. The fact that some other commercial piece of software can be used as a work around doesn't reduce my dissatisfaction with what I'm getting for the money I pay to GS.

I'll refrain from helping from now on. As it's about something that's been asked for for 2.5 years I just offer an alternative, it does what people ask for and as for the cost.. for us, one day caching costs more than GSAK. Fuel + a stop for iceream or pancakes is about the price of GSAK until the version number goes up.

It's not only for corrected coordinates that I use GSAK but for the many things the website can't do. I have no problem with that. It's like my ISP, I need internet access from them, not mailboxes, webspace... From GS I expect access to caches (PQ and the lot) but of course, YMMV.

I'll refrain from helping from now on. As it's about something that's been asked for for 2.5 years I just offer an alternative, it does what people ask for and as for the cost.. for us, one day caching costs more than GSAK. Fuel + a stop for iceream or pancakes is about the price of GSAK until the version number goes up.

It's not only for corrected coordinates that I use GSAK but for the many things the website can't do. I have no problem with that. It's like my ISP, I need internet access from them, not mailboxes, webspace... From GS I expect access to caches (PQ and the lot) but of course, YMMV.

GSAK is $30 USD. You must get really bad gas mileage. Stopping for ice cream or pancakes has nothing to do with geocaching (unless there's a cache in the parking lot). In addition to the cost, there is also the fact that Mac users have to jump through hoops in order to get it to run on their computer.

The new search engine *does* handle corrected coordinates, but it's only half baked because one can not bulk download the results. That's my point. It's entirely reasonable to expect GS to provide access to cache based on the search criteria supported in the search engine. Maybe if people didn't respond, "use GSAK" every time someone asks for something that the GS site *should* do, GS would be more motivated to provide those features on their web site.

GSAK is $30 USD. You must get really bad gas mileage. Stopping for ice cream or pancakes has nothing to do with geocaching (unless there's a cache in the parking lot). In addition to the cost, there is also the fact that Mac users have to jump through hoops in order to get it to run on their computer.

The new search engine *does* handle corrected coordinates, but it's only half baked because one can not bulk download the results. That's my point. It's entirely reasonable to expect GS to provide access to cache based on the search criteria supported in the search engine. Maybe if people didn't respond, "use GSAK" every time someone asks for something that the GS site *should* do, GS would be more motivated to provide those features on their web site.

Last time (GSAK 8) $30 was about €21. Fuel is about €5.5/Gallon at the moment (it has been more). Cachetrips are >100 Km a lot of the time (don't care about these micro under a stone type of caches and "quality caches" are getting harder to find). We stop for "afternoon tea" or better icecream/coffee/Coke on almost every trip as we leave in the morning and get back early evening, so it's nice to have something to "eat" in between)So 1 cacheday is 1 GSAK version :ph34r:

Now back on topic: If corrected coordinates would be available from all cachetypes it wouldn"t suit my needs (if I would care to keep all info on the website). For multi's, where to add found WPs and WP info like codes or answers?

We cache 99.99% paperless and take notes along the way. I keep all WP and final coordinates in ... (well you know) and also all relevant info. I don't think this will ever be possible on the website even if it was considered.

Last time (GSAK 8) $30 was about €21. Fuel is about €5.5/Gallon at the moment (it has been more). Cachetrips are >100 Km a lot of the time (don't care about these micro under a stone type of caches and "quality caches" are getting harder to find). We stop for "afternoon tea" or better icecream/coffee/Coke on almost every trip as we leave in the morning and get back early evening, so it's nice to have something to "eat" in between)So 1 cacheday is 1 GSAK version :ph34r:

If you took at 100km day trip and stopped for lunch in the afternoon the cost would be the same even if you weren't geocaching. The old "this will only cost the same as a cup of coffee a day" is a frequently used marketing tool to try and sell people something they don't really need.

Now back on topic: If corrected coordinates would be available from all cachetypes it wouldn"t suit my needs (if I would care to keep all info on the website). For multi's, where to add found WPs and WP info like codes or answers?

We cache 99.99% paperless and take notes along the way. I keep all WP and final coordinates in ... (well you know) and also all relevant info. I don't think this will ever be possible on the website even if it was considered.

The web site and mobile apps have a personal note feature that can be used to jot down waypoints. So how are you doing this in the field with GSAK? Do you take along a laptop so that you have access to GSAK?

A few years ago GS made a change to their site, for performance reasons, such that we could no longer search for caches with a specific string in the title and changed it so that we could only search for caches where the title started with a specific string. Soon after some suggested that one could use google and limit the results to the geocaching.com domain and get much better results than a GS search. While that is true, the point is that we shouldn't *have to* use third party software to perform a basic search.

Maybe because it's I've been a software developer at a major research library for the past 18 years, but for a site that hosts a very large database of items, I think that the ability to do a string search on records in the DB and then do something useful with the results is a fundamental feature. With the new search we can now search for strings anywhere in the title, but without the ability to turn those results into a PQ or bulk download the waypoints, we can't easily do anything useful with the results. That's basic functionality that the GS should provide, and while we *can* use third party tools to get that functionality, we shouldn't have to.

If you took at 100km day trip and stopped for lunch in the afternoon the cost would be the same even if you weren't geocaching. The old "this will only cost the same as a cup of coffee a day" is a frequently used marketing tool to try and sell people something they don't really need.

If not for caching we would just make a bikeride or hike a lot closer to home (as we did before went started geocaching). Most of the time we wouldn't stop anywhere as we'd only be gone a few hours and not the whole day as we do now.

The web site and mobile apps have a personal note feature that can be used to jot down waypoints. So how are you doing this in the field with GSAK? Do you take along a laptop so that you have access to GSAK?

I use my GPS to enter all WPs (not in the cachepage as "next stage" but as real WP. When we get home I connect the GPS to the PC, "publish logs" via API with GSAK, download tracks and WP's in Basecamp and enter all WPs as "child WP" in GSAK. Values and other found info goes to a note.We use a small notebook (only paper we carry) to take notes in the field. The website or app is of no use while in the field anyway as I'm off the grid at that time anyway.

Should I want to do that in the field I could always use my tablet (with complete GSAK database) I can but don't want to spend the time to do so. Weekends are for caching, administration is done during the week.

A few years ago GS made a change to their site, for performance reasons, such that we could no longer search for caches with a specific string in the title and changed it so that we could only search for caches where the title started with a specific string. Soon after some suggested that one could use google and limit the results to the geocaching.com domain and get much better results than a GS search. While that is true, the point is that we shouldn't *have to* use third party software to perform a basic search.

Maybe because it's I've been a software developer at a major research library for the past 18 years, but for a site that hosts a very large database of items, I think that the ability to do a string search on records in the DB and then do something useful with the results is a fundamental feature. With the new search we can now search for strings anywhere in the title, but without the ability to turn those results into a PQ or bulk download the waypoints, we can't easily do anything useful with the results. That's basic functionality that the GS should provide, and while we *can* use third party tools to get that functionality, we shouldn't have to.

While your view may be right, the fact remains that even after several years many things don't work as users want. You can then wait for all this functionality (or die from old age waiting) or use third party tools. Well, I don't have time to wait for extra functions. As I have all local (Belgium and the Netherlands) caches available offline where I can search, filter on just about anything, export to GPS the way I want... no way I'm going to restrict myself to the very limited functionality of the website.

Quite interesting is the fact, that it is possible using a small greasemonkeyscript. I am no JS-freak, but I assume that the feature is out there ... but not available.

The script can be found here: Update all cache coordinates

Very interesting, st3phan! I'd long suspected this was possible, and there was merely an artificial restriction within the webpage itself, but my lame attempts at hacking the Javascript (I don't speak it, either) had not been able to prove it.

I can confirm, with that script, coords of (at least) Traditionals can be updated, and the updated coords even flow through to API consumers.

This really suggests that it would cost Groundspeak even less effort to implement this request -- just remove the code that is artificially blocking it now!

Hey, HQ -- any chance you could allocate a few minutes of dev time to fix this one up?

Given that Wherigo's are a type of puzzle normally, I have never understood why they don't have the corrected coordinate option. As for the rest, not sure I want to be able to correct traditionals. If the owner isn't maintaining their caches, I'd rather see them archived.

Corrected coordinates are only for YOUR OWN use. They show when you display the cache page, but no one else sees them. Many people will add a Note Log with updated coordinates. If you plug those in where possible, your PQs will show the update. Don't know how it works in Apps.

I would like open this topic. Really is it problem for Groundspeak to enable save corrected coordinates for all type geocaches?

I cannot for the life of me understand why this has not been done.

* There is demonstrated demand (for a very long time)

* There is no drawback to being able to do this as far as I can see

* There are Greasemonkey scripts out there which do it already

* No functionality needs to be added (in fact code just needs to be removed -- the fact that you can't update coords for most cache types is purely the result of some Javascript that tells your browser not to do it. Overriding this decision is how the Greasemonkey scripts deal with the problem.)

And again...

There are lots of Letterbox and Wherigo cache types out there (at least here) having a puzzle to be solved to get the starting coordinates. It's very annoying to add them manually to then GPSr as a waypoint because the link to the listing gets lost.

Why not enabling "corrected coordinates" for these (or even all) cache types?

There are lots of Letterbox and Wherigo cache types out there (at least here) having a puzzle to be solved to get the starting coordinates.

I've never seen a Letterbox or Wherigo where you had to solve anything to get the starting coordinates. I did 40 Letterboxes and 16 Wherigos so far and have some on my "to do" list.

I do all correcting in GSAK BTW.

Edited by on4bam

There are lots of Letterbox and Wherigo cache types out there (at least here) having a puzzle to be solved to get the starting coordinates.

I've never seen a Letterbox or Wherigo where you had to solve anything to get the starting coordinates. I did 40 Letterboxes and 16 Wherigos so far and have some on my "to do" list.

I do all correcting in GSAK BTW.

I just checked the latest ten Letterboxes I've found and four of them had a puzzle to get the starting coodinates:

GC5JN3A

GC5B1BJ

GC4RXF0

GC4QP12

...and so on...

And yes... GSAK is an option but I'm not requesting an entirely new function - just remove the silly selection on cache types...

Edited by RCH65

I just checked the latest ten Letterboxes I've found and four of them had a puzzle to get the starting coodinates:

And yes... GSAK is an option but I'm not requesting an entirely new function - just remove the silly selection on cache types...

Must be a regional thing (same CO?).

Not saying you must use GSAK, just mentioning it as it makes life a lot easier than using the website with all it's shortcomings.