awards for finds on all seven continents

WildRice2

HI International Cachers, I am wondering why there are not any awards, recognition or souvenirs from Groundspeak for "finds on all seven continents". Yes, I realize that there would few who would be able to make the claim but then so is finding 5,000, or 10,000 etc. caches.

It does seem to me that finds on all seven continents is really in the true spirit of what Geocaching is all about.

Yes, we have done it. On September 27, 2012 we found a cache in Tasmania Australia for our seventh continent concurrent with our 1,000 find.

Having said that, I still think that ANYONE who can reach this goal should get some kind of acknowledgment.

What do other think?

Wildrice2

HI International Cachers, I am wondering why there are not any awards, recognition or souvenirs from Groundspeak for "finds on all seven continents". Yes, I realize that there would few who would be able to make the claim but then so is finding 5,000, or 10,000 etc. caches.

It does seem to me that finds on all seven continents is really in the true spirit of what Geocaching is all about.

Yes, we have done it. On September 27, 2012 we found a cache in Tasmania Australia for our seventh continent concurrent with our 1,000 find.

Having said that, I still think that ANYONE who can reach this goal should get some kind of acknowledgment.

What do other think?

Why don't you create a Challenge Cache, like the Challenge Caches that recognize geocachers who make 5,000 and 10,000 finds?

What do other think?

Why don't you create a Challenge Cache, like the Challenge Caches that recognize geocachers who make 5,000 and 10,000 finds?

+1. That was my immediate thought, as well.

I think an award would be better than a challenge cache, so few people would probably be able to claim a find, then to ACTUALLY find it as well? small chance. I know some may like that, but I think a reward would be awesome. I know I'll probably never accomplish it, myself. :P

A 7 continent souvenir would be cool although I'm sure I would never get one but for what it's worth kudos, that is an achievement to brag about.

I think an award would be better than a challenge cache, so few people would probably be able to claim a find, then to ACTUALLY find it as well? small chance. I know some may like that, but I think a reward would be awesome. I know I'll probably never accomplish it, myself. :P

Great point, and I like the souvenir idea - good solution.

What do other think?

Wildrice2

Edited by Great Scott!

Just curious: which cache did you find on Antarctica?

If you click through on their caching name on the forum you can see the caches they have found.

They have two finds in Antarctica, both Earthcaches. Perhaps the two easiest Geocaches on the continent, and the two most accessible to tourists.

Deception Island

Antarctic Peninsula

There should be a souvenir for all 7 continents. Time to lobby Groundspeak !

Yes, we have done it. On September 27, 2012 we found a cache in Tasmania Australia for our seventh continent concurrent with our 1,000 find. (OPs original quote)

Tasmania is not part of continental Australia, but a separate island.

They also got a cache at Uluru. That counts :blink:

And I think the "continent" definition one is a Groundspeak geocaching definition rather than a literal geographic one.

Yes, we have done it. On September 27, 2012 we found a cache in Tasmania Australia for our seventh continent concurrent with our 1,000 find. (OPs original quote)

And I think the "continent" definition one is a Groundspeak geocaching definition rather than a literal geographic one.

Pretty much. For example, all my finds in Turkey were on the European side of the Bosporus, yet I get another country in Asia for that. <_<

I did a bit of research about Costa Rica when I found a few caches there a couple of years ago to see if it was considered to be on North America or South America. Some sources included central america and Caribbean islands as part of the North American continent while others indicated that it was not part of any continent.

Groundspeak's idea of a souvenir is something that is broadly awarded. There is time involved to develop the artwork, review it, and programming required to go through stats and award it to those that qualify. I doubt that they would want to spend the resources to do something for a very small percentage of people that qualify. Compare that to all the other souvenirs that have many thousands of people that qualify.

Groundspeak's idea of a souvenir is something that is broadly awarded. There is time involved to develop the artwork, review it, and programming required to go through stats and award it to those that qualify. I doubt that they would want to spend the resources to do something for a very small percentage of people that qualify. Compare that to all the other souvenirs that have many thousands of people that qualify.

ON the other hand, they have created souvenir artwork (which can be seen here) for less visited places, including one for Ethiopia, which currently only has 11 active geocaches. The code for awarding souvenirs has already been written and can be used for any geographic region. Personally, I like the idea of souvenir that are more difficult to acquire. I see it like coin/stamp/etc. collection whee the rarest collectable item is the most desired.

ON the other hand, they have created souvenir artwork (which can be seen here) for less visited places, including one for Ethiopia, which currently only has 11 active geocaches. The code for awarding souvenirs has already been written and can be used for any geographic region. Personally, I like the idea of souvenir that are more difficult to acquire. I see it like coin/stamp/etc. collection whee the rarest collectable item is the most desired.

I think this idea is great, and the OP--and others who have done so--should be recognized. However, wouldn't this just be another incentive for armchair logging?

I do think recognition for this is a great idea. To that end, Congrats! Glad you came here for some kudos!

Now, aside from that, souvenirs can provide motivation instead of reward. I'm not sure that's the way it was intended. What happened to simply editing your profile page to celebrate "Current News", etc?