Needs Archived? Contact Reviewer, or ?

I recently found out about an awesome location where I might like to hide a cache. There's a giant map of Scotland in the grounds of a hotel in the Scottish Borders. It was built in the 1970's by some Polish workers to celebrate their Scottish connections. And it is huge. You can easily see it in the Google satellite view.

Anyway, I checked the geocaching.com map and found that there was already a cache there: GC2GNMC. But it appears to have been hidden by someone no longer active. In fact they have not logged in for almost two years. The cache seems to have gone missing in May last year but been replaced recently by a kind hearted cacher. However, the replacement cache looks like its gone missing too.

Would you post a NA, even without looking for the replacement cache? Or would you contact the reviewer and have it terminated? Or maybe even replace the cache?

Post an NA and mention that you stand ready to hide and maintain the successor. eusty suggests looking for the replacement cache first, and while I don't consider that technically necessary, I would think that if you're preparing to hide a new cache there, you'd have no problem visiting the area to look for the replacement before you take any action.

By the way, if the place is so big, why isn't there room for more than one cache?

Without looking at the link, I know the place HGKF is talking about, and in fact was involved in trying to help a cacher who couldn't find the original one last year before it did get replaced. By the time I went to find it this year, the replacement had gone too.

Anyhow, I think it's reasonable to put a NA on it because the cacher who contacted me also contacted the CO and never got a reply at that point. As it's close to some caches I own, I'll be happy to return and find the new cache if as and when you get round to placing it!

:)

Edited by Original A1

Its a shame its not being maintained as its a cracking place for more than one cache. Im very surprised it got muggled with where the cache was.I would go back to find more as its a really nice area. I was really happy i was the FTF on this as didnt know it was there. There was a TV prog about a group going to renovate the map that was very interesting.

Mrplenty

Would you post a NA, even without looking for the replacement cache? Or would you contact the reviewer and have it terminated? Or maybe even replace the cache?

No, I'd go and have a good look for it first and check that it's definitely not there (it might have been put back but not in the original spot). Obviously if you're thinking of replacing it with a new cache of your own, then it must be an easy place for you to get to so that should be no problem.

Then if it's gone for sure log the NA, and contact the reviewer to let him know that you're keen to place a new cache there (hopefully not a nano!). In the meantime you could be in touch with the landowner and get permission ready. In this case I wouldn't replace it; it's been muggled too often, so the new one needs a better hiding place.

Going off at a slight tangent, but if you want to hide a cache there then create your own cache page at the co-ordinates NOW, but don't submit it for review just yet. You don't need to provide any details just get - the important thing is to have the co-ordinates right and stop someone else sneaking in before you dry.gif

That way if/when the old cache is archived the location is yours and you can write your cache page and submit it for review.

I recently found out about an awesome location where I might like to hide a cache. There's a giant map of Scotland in the grounds of a hotel in the Scottish Borders. It was built in the 1970's by some Polish workers to celebrate their Scottish connections. And it is huge. You can easily see it in the Google satellite view.

Anyway, I checked the geocaching.com map and found that there was already a cache there: GC2GNMC. But it appears to have been hidden by someone no longer active. In fact they have not logged in for almost two years. The cache seems to have gone missing in May last year but been replaced recently by a kind hearted cacher. However, the replacement cache looks like its gone missing too.

If it looks like it's gone missing and already has multiple dated Needs Maintenance logs on it I'd be minded to post a note against it to see if anything is going to happen and if there's no action for a month or two I'd post a Needs Archived log.

If the cache is clearly still there then I'd leave it until it goes missing (which most do, sooner or later) but if it seems more than likely it's not there it doesn't hurt to speed up the archiving process especially if the CO has been inactive for so long.

SHE has spotted it

and I see it's now disabled :o

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like MTH's idea of pre-reserving the location. It is a little outside my normal territory, but still only 30minutes from home. At least if I hide a cache there it will be a decent sized box.

Watch this that space!

Just out of interest, how does that work if there's already a cache (albeit disabled) at the same or very close co-ords? I would have thought you'd get a message telling you you couldn't place one there?

SHE has spotted it

and I see it's now disabled :o

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like MTH's idea of pre-reserving the location. It is a little outside my normal territory, but still only 30minutes from home. At least if I hide a cache there it will be a decent sized box.

Watch this that space!

Just out of interest, how does that work if there's already a cache (albeit disabled) at the same or very close co-ords? I would have thought you'd get a message telling you you couldn't place one there?

If the page and coordinates are filled in, but not submitted, you can get away with it.

There is no message, a reviewer has to tell you once the cache is submitted for review.

(If there was an Auto-message, it would be possible to 'Battleship' all those hard to solve Unknown/Puzzles and Multi-caches!)