Event Geocaches Approved and On Hold

DougDawn

Can we plan, locate and get event geocaches approved and put on hold months before the event date? This is for the purpose of securing the geographical locations for caches so that they cannot be claimed by someone else desiring to place caches too close to the event caches up to a year ahead of the event geocache release date. Where can I get an answer to this question? Thx

I am not trying to restrict placement of close proximity caches at all. I am simply asking if we can reserve the desired event cache locations for later publishing at the time of the event. So that someone won't register a cache closer than 0.1 miles from our event caches.

I think asking a reviewer to tie up locations for a year or more is stretching it a bit. Shucks, I could tie up a bunch of locations for a year or two because I think I might want to put a cache there. And you say event cache. Are these going to be placed, published and then after the event pulled down? If so you just violated the permanence guideline. Personally I think your being a bit selfish trying to tie up locations for over a year just so you can put cache out for an event. How about you put the caches out for the event and don't get them published then you don't have any proximity worries. Just hand out the cache info at the event.

One way to do it is to go ahead and published the caches and archived them once it get closer to the event dates and publish a new set of caches. If you are going to tie it up for a year, I would do it that way.

Now that is an interesting idea but I wonder how it would affect the relationship between the CO and his reviewer in the future.

One way to do it is to go ahead and published the caches and archived them once it get closer to the event dates and publish a new set of caches. If you are going to tie it up for a year, I would do it that way.

Now that is an interesting idea but I wonder how it would affect the relationship between the CO and his reviewer in the future.

I done it and got no problem. We got a guy here that do it every 3 months or so. He seems to be able to pull it off.

You certainly can create the cache page(s) for your event-related caches.

You don't need to get them published, but if someone else wants to put a cache nearby the reviewer will ask that you either place the cache or relinquish the location.

SwineFlew's example will apparently work if you can put out the 'placeholder' caches at least 3 months ahead of time. Not something I would do, since I place caches with the intent of having their lifespans measured in years, not months or weeks.

Whatever it takes to get people to attend your event, eh?

But, if they will only attend in order to get XX additional caches, perhaps something else is wrong?

lemmee ask a question that hasn't been presented....

Is this so you can place "temporary" caches, specifically for the event?

If so.... that word (temporary) kills the whole thing.

Now if you are indeed placing permanent caches, you gotta work out the time situation.

Work WITH your reviewer, you may be surprised on what they can and will do to help you.

Don't work WITH him/her, you get what you get.

But... I do agree that a year may be a stretch.

Best answer-contact your local reviewer. Only they can give you a definite answer.

Next best answer-I'd bet that most reviewers will let you submit cache listings to hold locations for delayed publication a month or two down the road to coincide with your event, but not for a full year.

YMMV

You certainly can create the cache page(s) for your event-related caches.

You don't need to get them published, but if someone else wants to put a cache nearby the reviewer will ask that you either place the cache or relinquish the location.

SwineFlew's example will apparently work if you can put out the 'placeholder' caches at least 3 months ahead of time. Not something I would do, since I place caches with the intent of having their lifespans measured in years, not months or weeks.

Whatever it takes to get people to attend your event, eh?

But, if they will only attend in order to get XX additional caches, perhaps something else is wrong?

Someone beat me to the answer.

Create a draft page for a cache with the cords of the event, but don't submit it for review. When someone goes to place a cacher there, it'll show up in the reviewer's proximity check.

As for events... I don't think you can reserve the area to keep out an event.

I have a special event page already created and sitting in draft because it's too early to publish it. I don't think I can keep another cacher from turning around and doing an event at the same location before or on the same day as my event if they manage to get theirs submitted ahead of me (within the 3 month limit).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you wanting to place the event so no caches will be published around it?

There is no limit to caches being published around events that I know of, so it won't work.

Try the flying pig's idea, put the cache pages on hold (which will hold the spot for a while) or talk to your reviewer.

I am not trying to restrict placement of close proximity caches at all. I am simply asking if we can reserve the desired event cache locations for later publishing at the time of the event. So that someone won't register a cache closer than 0.1 miles from our event caches.

You really need to define what you mean by "event caches" because you have people answering three different questions here.

1. Is your plan to hold a series of separate events at different locations and different times, dates?

2. Is your plan to hold a single event and place physical caches, listed on the website, in the area to help support the event?

3. is your plan to hold a single event and place temporary physical caches that are not listed on the website?

You really need to define what you mean by "event caches" because you have people answering three different questions here.

1. Is your plan to hold a series of separate events at different locations and different times, dates?

2. Is your plan to hold a single event and place physical caches, listed on the website, in the area to help support the event?

3. is your plan to hold a single event and place temporary physical caches that are not listed on the website?

Thanks for your help Don J. Our plan is to hold a single event and place PERMANENT physical caches, published the morning of the event and listed on the website, in the area to help support the event? Perhaps I wasn't being clear but all we want to do is avoid having someone place a cache closer than 0.1 miles to our event's PERMANENT caches. No one is trying to tie up land or be selfish. My goodness, some people sure get touchie on this forum.

No one is trying to tie up land or be selfish. My goodness, some people sure get touchie on this forum.

They're only touchy because some people do come to the forums asking how to do exactly that, and it wasn't clear that you weren't wanting to do that.

I'm curious why you want the caches published the day of the event. I would think this would do the opposite of what you want, because people would be going to find the new caches rather than spend time at your event. When such caches have been hidden for Mega events I've attended, the caches have been published several days or weeks beforehand. I've been at several events during which caches have been published, and I've found that that's an excellent way to get people to leave the event. :laughing:

Thanks for your help Don J. Our plan is to hold a single event and place PERMANENT physical caches, published the morning of the event and listed on the website, in the area to help support the event? Perhaps I wasn't being clear but all we want to do is avoid having someone place a cache closer than 0.1 miles to our event's PERMANENT caches. No one is trying to tie up land or be selfish. My goodness, some people sure get touchie on this forum.

What difference does it really make if someone places a cache near the event location before the event unless the *reason* for the permanent caches you want to place is to provide an incentive for people to attend the event?

There was an event in my area a couple of years ago and the person that created the event placed several caches as "new caches placed associated for the event". About a year later, the same person hosted another event at the same location. Just before the event they archived the caches placed the previous year and had new caches published in the same locations. I saw it an incentive of a few smilies for someone that might consider coming to our area to attend an event, and, to me, missing the whole point of having an event.

We shouldn't need any other incentive to attend an event other than the opportunities to socialize with other geocachers in the area.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

If your trying to hold an area for you caches for the event for a period of a year, then, yes you are tying up land and being selfish. Now maybe if you looked around a month or two before the event and asked to hold locations you would not be selfish tying up the area. In a place that has some cache density I would consider it to be rude and selfish to tie up the spots that long. Now if Billie Bob Nose Picker has a cache ready to go and it would conflict with one of yours then I think the reviewer should give you maybe a week to place and activate the cache or lose your spot. But why put the extra work on the reviewer?

No one is trying to tie up land or be selfish. My goodness, some people sure get touchie on this forum.

They're only touchy because some people do come to the forums asking how to do exactly that, and it wasn't clear that you weren't wanting to do that.

I'm curious why you want the caches published the day of the event. I would think this would do the opposite of what you want, because people would be going to find the new caches rather than spend time at your event. When such caches have been hidden for Mega events I've attended, the caches have been published several days or weeks beforehand. I've been at several events during which caches have been published, and I've found that that's an excellent way to get people to leave the event. :laughing:

A_Team - this is getting really interesting now. Around here an "event" consists almost entirely of geocaching yourself silly all day and night with the occasional break for food and FTF prizes :) Who would want to do anything else? WAIT - just kidding about "anything else"!!! :)

No one is trying to tie up land or be selfish.

But indeed that is what you want to do!

You have your eye on a particular area for your event, and you want to make sure no caches are placed within the next (approximately) year that would interfere with the caches you want to put out to entice/reward event attendees.

While it certainly is not uncommon in my area for new caches to be released specifically for an event, I don't think anyone has ever tried to (or probably felt the need to) reserve their cache locations in advance. By the same token, nobody has ever put out 'temporary' placeholder caches and archived them only to be re-listed the day of the event.

I guess this is the kind of thing that comes along with the 'power-trail' mentality.

When I put on an event, I wouldn't want cachers to zoom in only long enough to grab the 'new cache' co-ordinate sheet and blast out of there as fast as possible so they can claim their XX additional smilies. If you don't want to attend my event for it's own sake, I don't want you to attend. :mad::anitongue:

There is a group in this area who hold an annual almost mega-event.

For the event they place many permanent caches a few months before the event.

They ask the reviewer(s) to hold publication until the the conclusion of the event. This years caches were then published about 6:00 pm that day. Only the attendees had access to them on the event day. The reason being their events all have an associated 'game' for which clues must be gathered from each cache. So essentially all the cache locations are 'reserved'.

So answer the original question. Work with the reviewer.

They may want several weeks notice to get it together for you.

Funny...I was at the gym tonight and thought of this thread...honestly. I went to use a machine and some dude said he was using it. "That's cool", I said and went to the next one. Dude said, "Hey man, I was just getting ready to use that when I finish this rep". I said "C'mon dude, Really?" Dude said "It's a long story, but I got this system." He may have a system, but that doesn't mean he's not a pain in the a** to those around him. I know this sounds harsh, but some things are very obvious to everyone except the guy who sees himself as unique.

But indeed that is what you want to do!

You have your eye on a particular area for your event, and you want to make sure no caches are placed within the next (approximately) year that would interfere with the caches you want to put out to entice/reward event attendees.

While it certainly is not uncommon in my area for new caches to be released specifically for an event, I don't think anyone has ever tried to (or probably felt the need to) reserve their cache locations in advance. By the same token, nobody has ever put out 'temporary' placeholder caches and archived them only to be re-listed the day of the event.

I guess this is the kind of thing that comes along with the 'power-trail' mentality.

When I put on an event, I wouldn't want cachers to zoom in only long enough to grab the 'new cache' co-ordinate sheet and blast out of there as fast as possible so they can claim their XX additional smilies. If you don't want to attend my event for it's own sake, I don't want you to attend. :mad::anitongue:

Wow

There is a group in this area who hold an annual almost mega-event.

For the event they place many permanent caches a few months before the event.

They ask the reviewer(s) to hold publication until the the conclusion of the event. This years caches were then published about 6:00 pm that day. Only the attendees had access to them on the event day. The reason being their events all have an associated 'game' for which clues must be gathered from each cache. So essentially all the cache locations are 'reserved'.

So answer the original question. Work with the reviewer.

They may want several weeks notice to get it together for you.

Thank you for the refreshingly helpful reply.

A_Team - this is getting really interesting now. Around here an "event" consists almost entirely of geocaching yourself silly all day and night with the occasional break for food and FTF prizes :) Who would want to do anything else? WAIT - just kidding about "anything else"!!! :)

We have something like that here in the Northwest. We call it a Cache Machine, only we use the already placed caches in the area. The latest one was Yakima Valley Cache Machine Dinner, the actual cache hunt is discussed here. So the real reason for the caches placed on the day of the "event" is merely to stimulate a FTF race.

There was an event up by Bellingham last year when 94 caches were placed for the event. There was a meet up in the morning where the coordinate info was passed out and then a supper get together in the evening. The wrinkle was that if you were a premium member you got the list via email very early in the morning. I'm sure there were a few FTF races, but that was not the goal.

Too answer your question. You can reserve spots by creating cache listings and leaving them disabled. However, if someone else creates a listing within the proximity of your listing, the reviewer is going to ask you what your intentions are, and to get the cache up and running, or give up the spot. If someone else wants the spot, it is highly unlikely that a reviewer is going to hold it for you for a full year. While you may not think that this is selfish, turn it around. How would feel if the reviewer told you that you couldn't list your cache because someone else wants to a year from now?

As far as placing caches for an event. I've seen it done many times. Usually if someone is having a yearly event at a pizza place at 5PM on a Saturday, they'll have a bunch of caches published a few days early. This way people from out of town can spend the day finding new caches and then land at the event. Most people's egos are so great that they think that people will come from miles around just because they are the host. I'm surprised that you are getting so much criticism for this as it is very common around here.

These two sentences:

Perhaps I wasn't being clear but all we want to do is avoid having someone place a cache closer than 0.1 miles to our event's PERMANENT caches.

contradict each other. I understand the sentiment behind the request but it IS a selfish thing to do. Try expressing it like this and see how it sounds to yourself and your group: "We should tie up this entire area so noone else can place a cache here. After all, these are going to be EVENT caches. They're more important than just a regular cache by Joe Blow".

That may not be your intention, but honestly, that's what it sounds like to me. As previously mentioned, the best you can do is write up the pages but don't enable them for publication until you're ready for them to go live. There is a caveat, though. Someone else may have already submitted a cache for that location but not enabled the listing. If that is the case, they have first dibs on the location. If someone comes along after you write up the page and they submit a cache for the same location, you'll have to either publish your cache or give up the spot. That's the way it should be. You can't just "hold" locations if you're not ready to place a cache, especially if someone else has a cache in the same spot ready to go.