We should be able to have FTF points just to show off.

Wombatnumber1

What about groups of people. or 2 cachers finding it at the same time? who gets it? or what about the cache where I climbed up retrieved the cache handed it to *****cachers who signed the log, the I signed the log I was the one who got the cache, but the other person signed it first, but then again person #3 who came 30minutes after us logged it online first. Just saying too many variables to account for and it seems people can't even log trackables properly, or even know what kind of caches they can or can't-virtuals come to mind-place. If we have this much trouble as it is,what's it gonna be like with people arguing about FTF?

Cool idea. Counterpoint: on average, doesn't the person who is FTF generally get the best SWAG from the CO who initially hid it? If I hide a cache, I cant see the reason why I would not put something good in there as long as Im relatively confident it is in a muggle-free area. What Im saying is, the FTF should be getting the better treasure and therefore bragging rights. Post the treasure online and gloat that way.

For every FTF we get we should get an FTF point to show off on the Geocaching.com website

I am not a fan of FTF, for all the reasons everyone has mentioned here.

But the thing that really bothers me about this suggestion is the reason for the suggestion, "To show off".

We cache for the pleasure, not to brag about our accomplishments

Edited by Ma & Pa

I don't think it will work. FTF is not always the First To Log it online. Who is going to do the cross checking?

It is worse than that, every time I'm STF I rip the page out of the logbook and sign my name and claim the FTF. Now were are you?

:ph34r:

There are statistic tools counting the FTFs (no idea how).

Most of them use pattern recognition in your online log, which means that if your log is "FTF. TFTC" or "Tried to get FTF on this one but when I found the cache there were already seven signatures in the log book."

GSAK uses a field which allows you to check a box which can be uses to produce a list of FTFs.

There are lots of reasons that this suggestion is a bad idea but the reason that stands out the most to me is that if GS gave "credit" for a FTF they'd also be the singular authority for arbitrating disputes between one or more cachers that try to claim FTF.

A really common dispute is when a cache owner places a cache, shares the coordinates with a friend that goes out and finds it before it's published, then someone else gets a notification of the new cache and finds the cache 10 minutes after it's published only to discover that someone has already put their name on the log sheet several days earlier.

I don't think it will work. FTF is not always the First To Log it online. Who is going to do the cross checking?

It is worse than that, every time I'm STF I rip the page out of the logbook and sign my name and claim the FTF. Now were are you? :ph34r:

Every time I am FTF I sign a page near the back of the log book. Then wait a few days to make my online log entry. That way when you come along you think you have the FTF because the FTF spot hasn't been filled in yet but you are really STF. Then the TTF comes along and rips out the first and claims FTF while calling your FTF claim invalid. I then make my online log entry claiming FTF and calling both of your FTFs invalid. Or maybe I was really the TTF, signed a page near the back of the log book and my FTF was invalid. Either way, it doesn't matter, I just created enough doubt that I get the FTF credit. :ph34r:

I guess I'll have to sign ALL front and back pages of the logbook in my next FTFs, so no STF or TTF guys rips off my FTFs logs... :ph34r:

That's why I have spare log books with my signature already in the FTF spot. I just slip my log book in the cache next to the original and claim that the log book signed was some rouge log book so your FTF doesn't count and mine does. :ph34r:

Hi,

it could be verified by a code, generated by GS and printed out by the CO. The first finder then enters the code and got the FTF in a nice fancy box with glitter and glamour...

But as long as GS does not recognize FTFs, the public list will do fine.

By the way: I don't think we need this feature.

Regards

M / Team Exxodos

it could be verified by a code, generated by GS and printed out by the CO. The first finder then enters the code and got the FTF in a nice fancy box with glitter and glamour...

There is another cache listing website that does exactly that. That system isn't perfect. Sometimes the code gets lost. Some people email the cache owner and lie to see if they can get the code with actually visiting the cache. Some people don't know the code is there. Some people can't read the code due to poor penmanship. Some people can't find where the co wrote the code (is it taped to the lid? no. written on front of the log book? no. back page? no. a scrap of paper floating around in the cache? grrrrrrrr, where is it...). Sometimes the cache owner forgets to put the code in the cache. Owner selected codes can have typos making verification impossible.

While this would solve the FTF "problem" it would introduce some cache admin issues.

The obvious choice would be the CO's, but if not all of them join in, it's not really going to work. Since Groundspeak doesn't recognize FTFs, I doubt this will happen any time soon...

The CO's don't get any recognition for the number of cache set as it is but need to be burdened with all this extra work? Geez