Pictures.....Ammo cans aren't indestructible

milhowzer

During the course of my geocaching career I have run into a few ammo cans that have been seriously damaged by various causes....I have taken pictures of a few of these ammo cans....if anyone else has similar pictures that they can post to this forum please do....

9993d666-7eab-48dd-b7f6-831f24b9dd83.jpg

this ammo can got run over by a bulldozer....I couldn't get it open so I signed my name on the outside

The ammo can from Ekabug & Riffster Sittin In A Tree. It was under a fallen tree for two years, and had a snake living inside. The contents were a little rusty, but the log book was in good shape. I found it by accident one day, and returned it all to the Cache Owner. And I didn't log a "find". :laughing:

Silly question, but why not log a find? You found it, right? :unsure:

I've wondered that myself :P. It was not in place (it was originally up in a tree), it was at the edge of the forest (someone else had found it and placed it there) 50 feet from its tree. And it was archived over a year before. I took the whole thing home, and therefore was Last To Find, nobody else can log a find on it. It seemed like a Note was more appropriate. Say I found a cache log book on the ground somewhere, would I log the cache Found It online? Meh, probably not. This is almost no different. :anibad: It just seemed like the thing to do, just this once. I don't recommend this plan to everyone else. Don't try this at home. Your mileage may vary.

AND I was scouting that exact spot to place a cache. That's how I stumbled upon the Archived one. It would be pretty obnoxious of me to say "Found It! I took it all away! Dibs on your cool cache spot!" :blink: To this day, I wonder if the Cache Owner believes I found it by accident. I don't know if I'd believe it.

So... yes, I could log Found It. If the CO had said, "While you're at it, why not log a Find?", I would. My story is in the log book, and on the cache page. I'd rather let it stay the way it is. I promise to "Find" all the rest of them! :cute:

Edited by kunarion

Different pieces of the same can (at least I think). Apparently got hit by some kind of industrial equipment. It was filled with legos :lol: - it took a while, but cachers eventually got all the errant legos rounded up.

AmmoCan-1.jpg

AmmoCan.jpg

Was that one of Legoboy's caches? He got one out there FULL of pennies. Havent got muggled yet. And its very heavy!! :laughing::blink:

Edited by SwineFlew

Different pieces of the same can (at least I think). Apparently got hit by some kind of industrial equipment. It was filled with legos :lol: - it took a while, but cachers eventually got all the errant legos rounded up.

Was that one of Legoboy's caches? He got one out there FULL of pennies. Havent got muggled yet. And its very heavy!! :laughing::blink:

Yes, it was. I took my kids there a couple of times just for the fun of hunting legos - they were flung far and wide. I was hiking out there recently and found the second chunk of ammo can (which I took and used on one of my hides, with the CO's permission). Didn't find any more legos though. :D

Yes, it was. I took my kids there a couple of times just for the fun of hunting legos - they were flung far and wide. I was hiking out there recently and found the second chunk of ammo can (which I took and used on one of my hides, with the CO's permission). Didn't find any more legos though. :D

Did you trade even or trade up? :P