Etiquette when placing Multi Cache

Hi,

I am pretty new to the hobby but think I am experienced enough to start giving back and place some of my own caches.

I have the plans for a multi and already found the sites to put each stage plus ideas to mix it up but I am unsure of the correct multi cache etiquette.

What I would like to do is have an item at each stage that is required to progress the next stage.

My question is; is it reasonable to have a multi like this that requires the cacher to retrace their steps and replace items after completing the cache?

I don't want to annoy anyone but also want to make each stage as interesting as I can and something different for any cacher, who attempt it.

Opinions and advice appreciated.

Gary

I've seen caches where this was necessary. Just make sure it's made clear on the description page that you expect people to replace everything and help them avoid the temptation of leaving without doing so by NOT having the route circle back to the starting point. That way you have to retrace your steps if you want to get back to, for example, your car.

I don't think such a cache design is unreasonable, but as stijnhommes indicated, you should take human nature into account when you create the stages. Make it easy for people to replace items correctly. Choose the route so they'll pass the earlier stages on their way back. Label all the items so it's clear where they belong.

Also, items will still break and disappear, so be prepared to replace them. Stocking each stage with multiple copies of each item will help deal with this, and will also help in those situations where one group arrives shortly after another, and either needs their own copy of the item, or needs to wait for the first group to return and replace the lone copy of the item.

My question is; is it reasonable to have a multi like this that requires the cacher to retrace their steps and replace items after completing the cache?

The chances of this decrease as the distances increase.

If the only reasonable way back to the beginning (where the car is parked) is along the same route, then the odds are somewhat improved.

If people can forget to bring a pen on a cache hunt, they will forget to replace the item you provided.

You should be prepared with plenty of spares.

We also have seen that type of multi. You had to retrieve a key from the first stage in order to open the second stage. Really was not a fan of it.

I am in agreement here:

However, if the "retrace your steps" notification is prominently placed at the beginning of the cache page it would mute criticisms.

Go for it, just ensure the instructions are clear and not buried in fine print somewhere in the cache description.

I think it's a great idea. I've never done one like that but it sounds like fun. Like others have said, you'll have to have duplicates available in case multiple teams are out. And make the items sturdy. Expect things to go missing. Like any complex cache, probably a good idea to make this one close enough to home so the inevitable maintenance is easier.

we did a few like this, but they where very special and not that many stages,

it was cool.

but again some people hate walking back to replace stuff if it is not directly on the way back to car,

so be sure you mark a parking spot and start area, and make the route so it go that way back.

another way to create same result, but with nothing phycical to be moved and replaced.

is to give numbers to where next stage is hidden,

this way you need to follow the correct route out, find them all, get final position

find final box with logbook, but now people can find other caches on their way back

or cycle another way back, whatever..

it is often I find my self inside a long multi, and grap a few traditionals on the way

and I might also do this on the way back, and maybe there is no way back, say I am on a bike or by foot

and dont care where next adventure lead me, let the caches lead the way,

surely I dont like a goback and replace items sort of thing, to delay new adventures.

by the way: if a multi is very long and got alot of stages

I prefer it to me made with a lot of puzzle types instead,

this way the reward is bigger = match the efford = more smilies,

a lot of people care about this too, but dont want to admit it.

Thanks for the replys.

The caches will be in a line from the car park so will have to be passed on the way down the hill again.

I will take the advice and leave more than one 'tool' in each cache just incase more than one person doing it at a time.

There will be less than a mile from start to finish and each stage will contain a number as well as a tool, these numbers will be the code for the lock on the final cache.

Suppose it will be a bit of trial and error and the logs will let me know what I am doing right/wrong but it is the type of cache I would enjoy doing so hopefully others will :)

by the way: if a multi is very long and got alot of stages

I prefer it to me made with a lot of puzzle types instead,

this way the reward is bigger = match the efford = more smilies,

a lot of people care about this too, but dont want to admit it.

For me it is the other way round. I do not like it at all if instead of a multi cache

a series of traditionals or mystery caches is hidden. In the case of the multi I can write one unique log

describing all my experiences and do not need to remember when happened what and what I encountered where.

It is also way more reader-friendly for those who enjoy reading logs.

As the reward is regarded, it is higher for me when having found a long multi cache which does not

get many finds than getting many finds for caches with much more visits.

My preferred type of multi cache is however one with virtual stages (question to answer) as I do not like

to be interrupted on my way with having to search for containers.

As the original question is regarded, I would not mind bringing back items to the start after having completed the cache,

but I would not want to have to go back and forth to bring back each item to its predecessor stage. If this happen once and the distance is

not large, it would be ok for me.

What might cause issues with a setup as described in the first post is if several cachers were trying to do the cache in parallel and only one item of each kind is available.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. But for me, multicaches have to be short and sweet. If that involves a key or some field puzzle, that's great. But luring me unknowingly into a super long hike, unless it's been disclosed on the cache listing, is not something I enjoy.

A two or three stage multicache placed in less than a half mile is top drawer in my book.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. But for me, multicaches have to be short and sweet. If that involves a key or some field puzzle, that's great. But luring me unknowingly into a super long hike, unless it's been disclosed on the cache listing, is not something I enjoy.

A two or three stage multicache placed in less than a half mile is top drawer in my book.

Very good point made...if it is long, be sure to state that in the description. Most multi-caches I have experienced at 2 or 3 stages...and I guess (naively) I go into new ones expecting about the same...