Changes in Difficulty & Terrain Ratings

Hi,

I searched the forums but didn't quite spot an answer to this.

I just participated in a group effort and logged in our first 5/5! Woot!

So, this particular cache is in a tree that is slowly deteriorating and there was talk that, if it gets too bad, the cache may need to be hidden lower (which would precipitate the lowering of the D/T).

So, my question is: if the Difficulty and/or Terrain is lowered on a cache, is it retroactive? Are the Stats chart based on the D/T at the time of logging or the current state of the cache?

My concern is (and forgive me if it's a stupid question or if you feel it's a petty concern).... could I check my Stats one day and my 5/5 disappear because the cache D/T has been changed?

I'm just curious since this will probably be my only 5/5 in my life :)

Hi,

I searched the forums but didn't quite spot an answer to this.

I just participated in a group effort and logged in our first 5/5! Woot!

So, this particular cache is in a tree that is slowly deteriorating and there was talk that, if it gets too bad, the cache may need to be hidden lower (which would precipitate the lowering of the D/T).

So, my question is: if the Difficulty and/or Terrain is lowered on a cache, is it retroactive? Are the Stats chart based on the D/T at the time of logging or the current state of the cache?

My concern is (and forgive me if it's a stupid question or if you feel it's a petty concern).... could I check my Stats one day and my 5/5 disappear because the cache D/T has been changed?

I'm just curious since this will probably be my only 5/5 in my life :)

Yes this will change your stats. You may be able to change this stat using GSAK though. I must admit though, I am curious what tree climbing cache is a 5/5? Nearly every cache like that I have heard of has been a 3.5 at most.

would agree unless its very high up, its not a 5 terrain. I even see some past finders on that cache just used a regular ladder. However, one will never find consistency on these things. I have seen water pipe caches up here in WA routinely 2 or 2.5 difficulty but in other areas, 5 stars.

It will change on geocaching.com. If you use GSAK, you can lock the listing so it will show up on your stats, if you so chose, at 5/5, but on the official stats here, it will change.

Edited by lamoracke

but on the official stats here, it will change.

That's right. And for that reason if conditions change that much, the owner should archive it and then list a new cache at the same location with the appropriate D/T ratings. You can continue the debate about whether or not it's "really" a 5/5, but at least you'll get to keep what you thought you were buying. B)

As others have mentioned, save the gpx file of the cache as you found it in your own software. That way, you can see it as it was rated when you found it - whether that rating is correct or not is a whole other issue ;-)

I've lost my terrain 1 difficulty 4.5 a couple of times. Once the cache owner got some feedback re the terrain and difficulty and corrected - slightly higher terrain, lower difficulty. The other changed the T 1 (wheelchair accessible) to T 1.5 after some changes at GZ. Those rating changes seem fine to me. No reason to archive the listing over that kind of thing.

Your example, where potentially a climb that sane people would use equipment for becomes walk up and grab it from the fallen tree - that I can see archiving and creating a new listing. Or just archiving....

Edited by Isonzo Karst

That's right. And for that reason if conditions change that much, the owner should archive it and then list a new cache at the same location with the appropriate D/T ratings. You can continue the debate about whether or not it's "really" a 5/5, but at least you'll get to keep what you thought you were buying. B)

My thoughts exactly

Locking the values in GSAK is a possibility, also there's a flag for not allowing prior finds to be overwritten, IIRC. It would be a good practice for cache owners to post a note when they change D/T. I have a couple caches which have D/T changes, one has become more Difficult to get as the underbrush was once knee high is now chest high and dense. Another I reduced Difficulty on as the original hide was too tricky for people so I replaced it with a larger container (sorry, but I really did get fed up with all the whiny DNFs about how the cache needed maintenance, only to go out and find it right were it was.)

These are my thoughts exactly. I visited a 4.5 star difficulty cache 4 times before I finally found it, and was very proud of my effort. After enough people complained about the cache, the CO changed it to a guard rail magnet and lowered the difficulty to a 1.

I think this is really poor form. I emailed the CO to tell them they should archive the cache, then re-publish a new one in the same spot with different ratings. They never responded.