How to solve this puzzle?

Can somebody teach me how to get started here? I am getting frustrated with the mystery caches that I am finding. They are all over, but some are so pathetically simple that they aren't worth it [i.e. direct rip off of the HOWTO pages Google brings up], or so insanely cryptic that I can't seem to make heads or tails of it. While I would love to do this one myself, I have to ask for a hand with methodology. I don't want to ask the cache owner for a nudge, at least, not yet...I guess I feel that I shouldn't have too. So, given this cache, can anybody point me to a resource, or point out an obvious pattern?

[GC Code / link to cache removed by moderator]

I see that there are two lines with 7 words indicating they will probably convert to coordinates by digit. I suspect these words are part of a list which I haven't been able to locate. I don't know any ten year old boys and nobody I know who I have asked recognizes the words as belonging to a cartoon, game, etc. The first letters don't seem to match anything. Even reordering doesn't give me a pattern such that the coordinates start with 44 and 93 respectively. I am stumped about where to head with this.

Thank you.

*** I was notified that these may be Yu-Gi-Oh cards. In fact, I had thought this too, but could find no pattern what-so-ever that lead me to coordinates. I tried to narrow down to spells, find an ordered list, etc. While I believe this may be where the ultimate solution lies, I was not able to find any notable pattern. ***

Edited by Keystone

Can somebody teach me how to get started here? I am getting frustrated with the mystery caches that I am finding. They are all over, but some are so pathetically simple that they aren't worth it [i.e. direct rip off of the HOWTO pages Google brings up], or so insanely cryptic that I can't seem to make heads or tails of it. While I would love to do this one myself, I have to ask for a hand with methodology. I don't want to ask the cache owner for a nudge, at least, not yet...I guess I feel that I shouldn't have too. So, given this cache, can anybody point me to a resource, or point out an obvious pattern?

[GC Code / link to cache removed by moderator]

I see that there are two lines with 7 words indicating they will probably convert to coordinates by digit. I suspect these words are part of a list which I haven't been able to locate. I don't know any ten year old boys and nobody I know who I have asked recognizes the words as belonging to a cartoon, game, etc. The first letters don't seem to match anything. Even reordering doesn't give me a pattern such that the coordinates start with 44 and 93 respectively. I am stumped about where to head with this.

Thank you.

MinnBrewer

You'll get 2 styles of answers here. The first being, don't ask for help from the public - ask the CO. This is great advice for many reasons which I'm sure others will elaborate upon. The second being, pointers to URLs to learn how to solve puzzles.

I solved it really quickly and did so just by putting all of those terms in Bing (better than google). I very quickly found a resource that solves this.

Edited by Keystone

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes' jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you're interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona's ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

Thank you. I have read all of these however, with the exception of Venona's. I was not able to solve this puzzle with these suggestions although, as I indicated in my original post, I do have some clue how to proceed, but it just has gone to a dead end for me. I guess I will have to ask the cache owner, since I am clearly missing something [that presumably IS available in the puzzle].

I realize that you are fairly new around here, but it is generally considered to be bad form, especially for a specific cache as opposed to just asking for general suggestions.

Please reach out to the CO, I'm sure they will be happy to help. After all they did hide the cache to be found didn't they?

I realize that you are fairly new around here, but it is generally considered to be bad form, especially for a specific cache as opposed to just asking for general suggestions.

Please reach out to the CO, I'm sure they will be happy to help. After all they did hide the cache to be found didn't they?

Wrong, I did once and he gave me smart aleck remark, so I went to a friend and he gave me the final coordinates.

MinnBrewer, I have yet to run into a puzzle CO in the Twin Cities metro that wasn't friendly and willing to provide hints (after the FTF is gone, of course).

Obviously, the ones that are no longer playing are not likely to lend help. In those cases, usually a previous finder will help you out.

Edited by JJnTJ

MinnBrewer, I have yet to run into a puzzle CO in the Twin Cities metro that wasn't friendly and willing to provide hints (after the FTF is gone, of course).

Obviously, the ones that are no longer playing are not likely to lend help. In those cases, usually a previous finder will help you out.

I know that the CO will almost certainly give a tip for this particular cache. What I am really looking for is how to solve these types of puzzles without the need for a hint...the methodology is what I need, not a specific hint for a specific puzzle. How do I spot what is missing? It is like finding a first cache of a given type...it can be very difficult until first found and then easy forever more. Granted, I have found every cache without a mentor, but apparently I need a little mentoring to learn the ropes for puzzle caches. The cache I am looking at is a difficulty three which is supposed to be "typical".

There was a request in there somewhere :)

Thank you.

What I am really looking for is how to solve these types of puzzles without the need for a hint...the methodology is what I need, not a specific hint for a specific puzzle. How do I spot what is missing? It is like finding a first cache of a given type...it can be very difficult until first found and then easy forever more. Granted, I have found every cache without a mentor, but apparently I need a little mentoring to learn the ropes for puzzle caches. The cache I am looking at is a difficulty three which is supposed to be "typical".

Thank you.

NiraD's post and those links are about as complete of an answer as is possible. There are so many types of puzzles there is no one methodology.

They do get easier the more you do, as multiple puzzles will have some similarity. Though I'm still not very good. There is one near me that I've been looking at regularly for months now and I still have no idea. With some puzzles they are fairly clear what you need to do, but the doing it can be complex and/or time consuming (deciphering text, doing mathematical calculations). With others the difficulty is in "seeing it" - it is not at all clear what to do or where to start, but once you "get it" the solution comes easily. And some are hard to see AND require complex/detailed steps to decode.

MinnBrewer

you only found 131 traditionals so far, ok fine,

no puzzles at all.

and then your first puzzle is a VERY hard one..

why not start with a few more simple first ?

I am sure you are smart, you are listed as Software Engineer Consultant

and will be able learn fast,

all puzzles are different.

you can learn to solve many, but newer all of them.

some are made to be hard, almost impossible simply made to drive people mad, not to be solved or found.

my advice is this:

find a near by puzzle, spend very little time on your own,

if still no clue how to solve, stop forget it,

go for another one, and so on..

after 10-20 puzzles, now re start from the beginning,

and you find it amazingly easy to solve the ones you skipped first.

Good luck, and please dont put links to puzzle caches in a forum,

only talk in GENERAL, and dont copy paste from cache pages too,

since search engines are very smart..

What I am really looking for is how to solve these types of puzzles without the need for a hint...the methodology is what I need, not a specific hint for a specific puzzle. How do I spot what is missing? It is like finding a first cache of a given type...it can be very difficult until first found and then easy forever more. Granted, I have found every cache without a mentor, but apparently I need a little mentoring to learn the ropes for puzzle caches. The cache I am looking at is a difficulty three which is supposed to be "typical".

Thank you.

NiraD's post and those links are about as complete of an answer as is possible. There are so many types of puzzles there is no one methodology.

I'll add that a couple people *have* suggested a methodology and that is; Put words you find on the cache page into a search engine. The results that you get might not always be obvious and sometimes it won't help at all, but it's something that I try doing for a lot of puzzles I've worked on. It's just one piece of a methodology you can build for general puzzle solving. The more puzzles you solve, the more you can add to a checklist of things to try when approaching any puzzle.

To the OP: When I first started caching, i filtered out all puzzles and only did traditionals. I was happy. Now I have a few puzzle caches that I have solved and entered the coordinates into my GPS, will find eventually. When I decide to solve a puzzle or 2 I bring up the cache map near my home coordinates, and read the entire cache page,including viewing it in HTML. If something jumps out at me I will work it through and solve it. If nothing jumnps out at me and I am completely stumped I put it aside and move on. I am much happier now that I realize that I will never find all the caches in the world. Sometimes 6 or 12 months life experience will make an impossible puzzle an easy solve. Its meant to be fun. When it stops being fun and starts being work I go do something else.

Edited by ras_oscar
I'll add that a couple people *have* suggested a methodology and that is; Put words you find on the cache page into a search engine. The results that you get might not always be obvious and sometimes it won't help at all, but it's something that I try doing for a lot of puzzles I've worked on.
I've often found an appropriate Google search helpful. Of course, figuring out which search terms are appropriate can be a challenge in itself, but it's good to use the cache title, the "placed by" name if it's different from the actual cache owner, and unusual phrases from the cache description.

And the search results may not give you the solution. They may only give you the theme, by showing a hidden meaning to some phrase. But once you've got the theme, it will be easier to find the resources you need to solve the puzzle.

Agreed.

One reason that it is frowned on to ask for help here, is that the help (and possibly spoilers) will be available here for everybody, forever. It may also spoil puzzles of a similar nature elsewhere in the world. I know who the owner is of the cache that you are trying to solve, and I'm sure he'd be more than glad to help, if you'd only ask.

(Edit: I see now that you say that it isn't necessarily this particular puzzle that you are asking about, but that your question is more general than that. )

Edited by knowschad

Do what I do, if you can't solve the puzzle. Look for traditional caches. And go to events to discuss puzzles with the locals.

Puzzles are too frustrating for me. It's like being made to do my math homework before I can go out and play, and I haven't been in school since 1975. Talk about a late detention!