The BEST deal EVER for a geocache... Sooo cheap!

I've got you beat. I made my weekly trip to the local transfer station (dump). Someone had tossed these away. The rubber seals look to be in good shape.

I grabbed them quick. Total cost $0.00

yG7ia.jpg

b2M4t.jpg

Awesome find, is that a 30. Cal? Those are getting rare at least in my neck of the woods.

I've got you beat. I made my weekly trip to the local transfer station (dump). Someone had tossed these away. The rubber seals look to be in good shape.

I grabbed them quick. Total cost $0.00

yG7ia.jpg

b2M4t.jpg

How in the world are you going to hide those big ole things on a guard rail? :anitongue:

Edited by Bolivar Bill

Update: The key holders are actually pretty nice. Really strong magnet, stronger than the brand name. My only gripe, they didn't use much glue to attach the magnet to the holder, so I'm going to be taking the magnet out using a small flathead. Then I will be supergluing them back on with a generous amount. It's a good thing I dissected these things!

Yes, they will be guardrails, however. Nice ones. My first one is going to be a guardrail with an amazing view of the Trenton Makes bridge. With the suggestion people do it at night to see the beautiful fluorescent light-sign over the Delaware river.

Second one? A cache named, "Lame NJ guard rail cache" just to annoy briansnat. :P

Yes, although I see the irony and humor of naming a lame cache after a multi cacher of the year, the rest I just dislike.

Mind you the rest is obviously just my opinion.....

If you are asking a person to see a cache you created is a soggy key holder the best you have to offer? I understand money is a factor but I have seen caches that cost nearly the same possibly less but a lot more interesting..when gas goes up again after the election I will be extremely particular about caches I find I would probably ignore all 20 of yours, unless I am wasting time in a parking lot while my wife shops. I recommend emailing some cachers on here that have earned tons of fav points and asking for advice on building a unique cache...What do you want your reputation to be a guy who puts out awesome interesting hides or a guy who places soggy key holders soon to be archived?

Again this is all my only opinion and I am relatively new so please take no offense.

I only really hide good caches... So far I have hidden an ammo box amongst old world war 2 ruins. A paddle only cache. A fake birdhouse. A fake book cache inside Philadelphia free library. Trust me. Location is the important part of my Trenton Makes bridge cache. No larger cache will fit on the guardrail. The view is located alongside a trail between te river and the road. No tree or anything to hide on but the guardrail...

I trust that it will be cool. Caches can be cool for a number of different reasons. A great location is one of them. One little detail that would make it a touch above the usual keyholder on a guardrail... can you spray it with some silver paint to at least give it a bit of natural camouflage? Maybe even glue a fake bolt head or four cut off screw heads (one in each corner) to give the effect that it is attached. Won't really fool anybody, but it would show that extra effort.

My husband and I own four magnet keyholder caches. Two of them are guardrails (although one was moved by a cacher to a sign and I've kept it there), and two are under benches. All four are in nice locations and/or fun. Three of the four caches have favourite points, and all get great comments and pictures. It's all in the location, when it comes to these containers. One of the keyholders is painted silver. :P

Many years ago, we could find a four pack of small, thin magnetic keyholders at the dollar store. I wish they still carried them, they were the smallest holders and had the best quality that I've ever been able to find.

I've found preforms at about that price. I like them for lots of reasons as micros:

1) They stay dry, and don't require a o-ring gasket.

2) The lids can usually be replaced from liter bottle if the are damaged or lost

3) the are very strong

4) Logs slide in and out easily.

5) very cheap (even cheaper than the Walmart $0.89 matchsticks)

Obviously larger caches are better (IMO) than small caches, but when you just gotta hid a micro, preforms are my favorite.

Are you trying to make sense out of this?

Update: The key holders are actually pretty nice. Really strong magnet, stronger than the brand name. My only gripe, they didn't use much glue to attach the magnet to the holder, so I'm going to be taking the magnet out using a small flathead. Then I will be supergluing them back on with a generous amount. It's a good thing I dissected these things!

Yes, they will be guardrails, however. Nice ones. My first one is going to be a guardrail with an amazing view of the Trenton Makes bridge. With the suggestion people do it at night to see the beautiful fluorescent light-sign over the Delaware river.

Second one? A cache named, "Lame NJ guard rail cache" just to annoy briansnat. :P

I would suggest not using Superglue. Superglue works best on porous materials and probably would be even worse on the flat plastic and magnets than the original adhesive did. I would suggest getting some epoxy to hold the magnets on, you will need to wait overnight for it to dry, but the hold will be far better.

You could also try QuickSteel http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Magic-QuikSteel-Epoxy-Putty-2-oz/17134766 It will set fairly quickly. Overnight is still recommended, but it could be great for fast repairs should a magnet fall off in the field.

I tried using epoxy to hold a magnet to a piece of metal one time for a cache and it broke free after about a month. I then used JB Weld on it and it's been out in the field for about a year and is still holding strong.

Don't tell anyone...

but...

JBweld IS an epoxy! :D (A very good one)

Haha, now that's funny! I guess there are different types of epoxies. What I meant to say was don't use whatever type of epoxy I used first, because it doesn't work very well. Instead use JB weld, which is a much better epoxy! Lol

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Than I notice something... Omg, Magnetic key holders... TWO OF THEM! FOR .89 CENTS!

So ... lemme get this straight. Each key holder set cost 0.89 cent, but you paid $4.45 for the lot? Looks you've been royally ripped off, unless you paid the store owner with a $4.5 bill and he somehow managed to fumble the change.

:P

Better re read the OP... two for 89 cents... 44.5 each. x 10 = 4.45 :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

This is awesome

You think this is awesome? Looks like ColdGears is running out of places to hides all those good deals fast enough. :ph34r:

Not saying its a lame place to hide them, its just that some people think so.

My fault for such a vague comment, this topic is great, interesting to read. I have been off of the forums for a while

. Very entertaining, and I will add, I wouldn't say it's a lame place to hide, but maybe not the best of ideas??

Than I notice something... Omg, Magnetic key holders... TWO OF THEM! FOR .89 CENTS!

So ... lemme get this straight. Each key holder set cost 0.89 cent, but you paid $4.45 for the lot? Looks you've been royally ripped off, unless you paid the store owner with a $4.5 bill and he somehow managed to fumble the change.

Doug 7rxc

He wrote two for .89 cents.

Spot the decimal point and win a prize :P

Doug 7rxc

He wrote two for .89 cents.

Spot the decimal point and win a prize :P

Nice deal on the ammo cans- I can't find any! And the key holders tho I find they rust are too hard to open and too small.