Help me! I feel so stupid!

tardisluv

Help me! I have desparately been trying to find caches. I have downloaded the program on my android phone. I feel like I am going around is circles. I have only found one cache. Great joy! Any advice on whether or not the phone or a gps would be better for me.

Start by looking at the size of the cache you are looking for. Don't start with micros. Go for tupperware size, or ammo can to begin with. Attend the next local event and ask for tips. If there's anything cachers like talking about, it's caching. Search by state, and all your events coming up will be at the top of the list. Don't feel stupid. We've all been there. A dedicated GPS will sometimes be much more accurate than a phone, but the phone has been known to be spot on too. A smart phone is fun for finding them, but a GPS is better for hiding them, and taking readings.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

This was a brilliant reply. So helpful for newbies! :P

This was a brilliant reply. So helpful for newbies! :P

I wish it would be made a sticky for this forum.

To the OP...if you think you feel stupid now, wait until you've found 200 or more, and can't find the danged cache.

We give great joy to other cachers when we post our DNF logs, because they seem to delight if finding it after us, and posting logs like "quick and easy find", "no trouble finding this one", "didn't really need the gps for this one, it was so easy".

Yeah, right guys, rub salt in the wounds. :D

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

We're over 1000 finds, and still some of the 1/1 caches leave us wondering! It happens. When you get close to GZ, stop looking at your device, think where you may hide it and look for evidence of a cachers' trail. Use the hints, description, cache title and past logs. Sometimes there is a subtle hint there.

If you don't find the cache, log a DNF (Did Not Find) and put it on your watchlist. I bet you'll be like us and find it - don't give up!

Welcome to the fun and to the forums.

Sometimes even 1 or 2 star caches can be akward. When you pick a cache and get to near ground zero, start to say to yourself 'Where would I hide a cache round here?'. Look at the hint and try to think outside of the box, or look for what may be unusual, or if an area has been disturbed recently. We found a cache recently where there were lots of trampled nettles.

Also, find a route where there are 5 or so caches, maybe a nice walk, then you have more chance of finding something than if you look for 1 at a time. Even if you don't find anything, you can still use the caches to find great walks or new places.

Start by looking at the size of the cache you are looking for. Don't start with micros. Go for tupperware size, or ammo can to begin with. Attend the next local event and ask for tips. If there's anything cachers like talking about, it's caching. Search by state, and all your events coming up will be at the top of the list. Don't feel stupid. We've all been there. A dedicated GPS will sometimes be much more accurate than a phone, but the phone has been known to be spot on too. A smart phone is fun for finding them, but a GPS is better for hiding them, and taking readings.

I think the idea of geocaching is great, but it just doesn't work in practice. The gps is only good for what, a 30 meter radius? That means you are tramping around in tall bushes looking for something that is probably under the grass. Even if your gps is accurate to 3 feet you still won't find it because the previous person replaced it in the wrong location. Even if you find the right location it isn't there because the person who hid it is unwilling to maintain it. Even if the person is willing to maintain it, you can't find it because it has been stolen recently. Add to that the fun of picking up Lyme disease from ticks in the grass and picking up random pieces of garbage with your bare hands in hopes of finding something, and you have an activity that is frustrating, unhealthy and disgusting. What a way to spend your time - yuk.

I think the idea of geocaching is great, but it just doesn't work in practice. The gps is only good for what, a 30 meter radius? That means you are tramping around in tall bushes looking for something that is probably under the grass. Even if your gps is accurate to 3 feet you still won't find it because the previous person replaced it in the wrong location. Even if you find the right location it isn't there because the person who hid it is unwilling to maintain it. Even if the person is willing to maintain it, you can't find it because it has been stolen recently. Add to that the fun of picking up Lyme disease from ticks in the grass and picking up random pieces of garbage with your bare hands in hopes of finding something, and you have an activity that is frustrating, unhealthy and disgusting. What a way to spend your time - yuk.

Yep. You're right: The thousands of geocachers who are enjoying the game worldwide are just deluded.

Poor things. They should all take up yogurt weaving or something productive and useful.

MrsB

I had several hundred finds under my belt when I had trouble finding a specific 1/1 cache. I went and looked about 5 times before the owner finally emailed me a photo with Signal sitting on the cache and big red arrow pointing to the hiding spot.

Sometimes caches are just tricky to find!

Help me! I have desparately been trying to find caches. I have downloaded the program on my android phone. I feel like I am going around is circles. I have only found one cache. Great joy! Any advice on whether or not the phone or a gps would be better for me.

Thanks for the advice. Love that big ole fish in the picture.

Yep. You're right: The thousands of geocachers who are enjoying the game worldwide are just deluded.

Poor things. They should all take up yogurt weaving or something productive and useful.

MrsB

yogurt weaving? sounds tricky. 😉

MrsB

I dunno, yogurt weaving involves bacteria, and I think he might find bacteria to be disgusting and nasty too. He might have to stick to nice virtual reality video games where he won't actually be exposed to dirt or bugs.

What helped me starting out was reading all the hints and comments made by other cachers. Sure, it's basically giving it away when someone logs "man i hate looking for micro ones in pine trees," but you have to start somewhere, so honestly it's not just a cheap tactic, it's an easy tactic. After a few caches, and looking at hints and comments and such, you just start to get a sense of where things are hidden. Usually I have a pretty good idea where a cache is hidden from about 100 feet off, even without spotting it, and then finding it can be easy. Just look for small 'landmarks' - a telephone pole, a sign, a streetlight, a big weird tree, a giant rock, etc. Geocachers never choose to hide a cache in something that doesn't stand out in at least one way or another, so sometimes it's more useful to stare at the scene at ground zero, not search every last nook and cranny until you're exhausted and frustrated enough to give up.

Oh, and keep walking in circles, cause that helps.