First to Find Record

This is probably not a record but, Susan and I submitted a new cache for approval (GC3MD7W) yesterday. It was submitted, approved, and found within 24 minutes. We are stunned at the how quickly this happened. We hid this cache in honor of our nephew, who is visiting from Kentucky. Timmy is enjoying his new found activity. :lol:B):lol:

Edited by SammyandStone

While a find 15 min and 2 min after PUBLICATION is very quick, SammyandStone is pointing out theirs was found 24 min after SUBMISSION (which means it also includes Review time). Enthusiastic posts about quick find times are great, but so far the comparisons have been Apples and Oranges.

I think I did one in 15 minutes. The cache was about a mile away and I was bored. So I got the FTF, and it wasn't an LPC.

I got to a cache about 15 minutes after I received the notification and not only was I second to find but the FTF was nowhere in sight and by the time I got back to my office about 7 minutes later it had already been logged online (not using a smartphone). I did find one 13 minutes after it had been published. I think it's been at least a couple of years since I actually tried to be FTF on a cache.

When I started a couple years ago, I was kinda surprised that FTFs were so quick, always within a day unless they were in the back country, in which case it would sometimes take a day and a half. But caching popularity has grown so much, technology developed so much, and the competition has heated up so much that I don't expect a traditional cache to take more than an hour from publication to FTF these days. I was never too big on grabbing FTFs, but actually this quick turn around time has made the FTF game more fun because, with a window of only an hour, it's dollars to donuts you're going to meet someone else at GZ if you go. So I'm actually more likely to run out if it's on the way to work just to see who shows up. A few months ago, exactly that happened, and I met 3 other cachers at GZ. And the FTFer had come and gone 15 minutes before we got there.

This year I had people over to watch the Superbowl, including a few cachers. I hid a cache on my front lawn but didn't tell anyone. I had it published just before the game started. Within seconds of it being published I watched several cachers pull out their phones, look at them and head right out the door. FTF was probably within 2 minutes of publication.

CJ used to tell me to stop/turn around,pull over for a cache that just came out and nearby. Her record so far is six minutes (I stayed in the car.)

She had the bug so bad at one time that she noticed no one hit a two-day old hide over 400 miles away (visiting relatives in NC). Our log said, "Couldn't stand seeing a new cache sitting this long without being found. Drove down from Pennsylvania to get it." :laughing:

- Thankfully, she's calmed down considerably. But every so often...

This year I had people over to watch the Superbowl, including a few cachers. I hid a cache on my front lawn but didn't tell anyone. I had it published just before the game started. Within seconds of it being published I watched several cachers pull out their phones, look at them and head right out the door. FTF was probably within 2 minutes of publication.

Might have been more fun to have it published just before the game ended.

This is probably not a record but, Susan and I submitted a new cache for approval (GC3MD7W) yesterday. It was submitted, approved, and found within 24 minutes. We are stunned at the how quickly this happened. We hid this cache in honor of our nephew, who is visiting from Kentucky. Timmy is enjoying his new found activity. :lol:B):lol:

That is quick. I have seen some fast ones, but I don't know how long they took to review.

We found two before they were published. Three COs were filling up a nearby rail trail with tricky hides, and so we headed over to get some FTF on the newest section published. But every now and then in the trail we would travel 528 feet and there would be a gap in caches. Using our mantracker skills, we were able to follow the CO's footprints to two of the caches, and came darn close to finding two more.

I was recently at a geo event where we were competing working puzzles. Suddenly, just about every phone in the room went off - new cache alert. Everyone looked at their phones, and kind of joked about whether anyone was going to go for it, then went back to the puzzles. Minutes later, another alert, then another. All together, six new caches were posted in the half hour we were there, and you could see people in the room getting more and more antsy. Finally, one went off, and a cacher said 'that's too close' and she jumped up and was gone! We all laughed, but she did get the FTF!