Some one has been smitten

"I downloaded a bunch of pocket queries last night. Why the heck does geocahing.com limit the number? Well, gotta go download the 5 from tonight, cuz 3000 unfound cachces on my GPS just isn’t enough." author to remain un-named.

I found a link to someone's blog in these forums, and took a peek. The above quote caught my eye, particularly the part about the 3k caches. This person is really getting into the game! Thanks for the laugh.

"I downloaded a bunch of pocket queries last night. Why the heck does geocahing.com limit the number? Well, gotta go download the 5 from tonight, cuz 3000 unfound cachces on my GPS just isn’t enough." author to remain un-named.

I found a link to someone's blog in these forums, and took a peek. The above quote caught my eye, particularly the part about the 3k caches. This person is really getting into the game! Thanks for the laugh.

I guess it depends where you are. I the greater San Diego area I can load 5,000 caches in the GPS and not even begin to cover the areas I might be visiting within the county. Will I ever need ALL 5000 caches in one or two days? No, but if I am in a nearby with some spare time I like to be able to see if there is a nearby cache or two.

YMMV (pun intended!) <_<

I have over 8000 loaded on mine and I am no where near a rabbid cacher with my 80 some odd finds. If I go somewhere for the day I want to be ready as I can be 70 miles form home in no time.

Inevidebly with 8000 caches when I do go for one I always seam to pick one that hasn't been dissabled or appears missing.

My standard download is all unfound caches within 11 miles of my house. My goal is to get the count below 600, but no matter what I do, new ones keep popping up to keep it above that number. Yeah, not much of a hardship. Anyway, I'm not a fanatic at finding them, but am keeping it close to 600. On the other hand, I have about 20 PQs set in various local areas that I run if I plan to go beyond the 11 miles. Works for me!

I guess it depends where you are. I the greater San Diego area I can load 5,000 caches in the GPS and not even begin to cover the areas I might be visiting within the county. Will I ever need ALL 5000 caches in one or two days? No, but if I am in a nearby with some spare time I like to be able to see if there is a nearby cache or two.

YMMV (pun intended!) <_<

I'd definitely agree that it depends on where you live. There are only 20 or so countries in the world that have move than 5000 caches. That means that there are about 228 countries in the world that have fewer caches than San Diego.

Hmm... My PQs are for all of New Jersey... and anything I have not found within 65 miles. That's about 18000 caches. (Up from 10000 a few years ago.) But I decide where I'm going caching for the weekend, and load the Gupy with 7000 caches, and the nuvi with 3000 caches. Keeps me happy. That's about 25 miles on the nuvi.

What I need to figure out how to do is to eliminate Long Island from my search radius. About $15 in tolls to get there. Used to have an ophthalmologist there, but no longer. Still search for caches in Orange, Rockland, and New York counties. Might visit The Bronx, Queens, Kings and Richmond counties. (But I thinks those are out of our range now.) Never going back to Nassau County.

Anyone know how to sort by counties?

Hmm... My PQs are for all of New Jersey... and anything I have not found within 65 miles. That's about 18000 caches. (Up from 10000 a few years ago.) But I decide where I'm going caching for the weekend, and load the Gupy with 7000 caches, and the nuvi with 3000 caches. Keeps me happy. That's about 25 miles on the nuvi.

What I need to figure out how to do is to eliminate Long Island from my search radius. About $15 in tolls to get there. Used to have an ophthalmologist there, but no longer. Still search for caches in Orange, Rockland, and New York counties. Might visit The Bronx, Queens, Kings and Richmond counties. (But I thinks those are out of our range now.) Never going back to Nassau County.

Anyone know how to sort by counties?

GSAK does have a column for county, so you can sort by it. It can also help you get caches on your ignore list so caches in those counties don't show in your PQ's.

I have over 8000 loaded on mine and I am no where near a rabbid cacher with my 80 some odd finds. If I go somewhere for the day I want to be ready as I can be 70 miles form home in no time.

Inevidebly with 8000 caches when I do go for one I always seam to pick one that hasn't been dissabled or appears missing.

What gps do you have that holds 8000 geocaches?

What gps do you have that holds 8000 geocaches?

Most Garmin's can hold many thousand of caches when loaded as POI (other brand's may too, I don't have experience with them).

The only limit to the number of caches in a garmin is the size of the expansion memory card. Mine is 4GB. It holds routable street maps and topo maps for the northeast quarter of the country, plus the default PQs. I routinely maintain 4,000, althoug I've had 7,000. No idea what the upper limit is,I've never gotten a data exceeded message.

Our new (and inexpensive) Garmin Explorist GC holds 10,000 caches, as do many other Garmin handhelds. It's probably less if you download the pictures to go with the caches, but it's still pretty good. We only have about 2,000 loaded on it at the current time, which includes our hometown and an area west of town. But we'll load it up with more PQs when we go on trips this summer, and I can bet we'll have it filled up by the time we get out to Seattle on vacation because we'll not know exactly where we'll end up.