What should I do?

I live on a large farm in ky and I am currently working on putting out several caches in the area that's basically cache free, each of my caches are superhero themed, both the cache themselves and how to find them/solve them. I mean I am putting in several hours on each cache (for instance an ammo can painted in a batman style, with a wordlock that I will give a hint in the description but have a riddle to solve once you are actually at the cache, the inside is also going to be decorated.) Anyways my issue is on my farm someone hid a micro cache back in 2009 taking up some prime real estate, I know I could get it archived then place my own, but should I? The c/o seems to have only played in 2009 and compared to what I would be willing to do its pretty lackluster only hit 40 times since 09.

So should I be a "jerk" and move a simple micro tube for a more elaborate cache or leave the four year old cache alone?

Edited by Dan2099

Well, if you want to be a bit assertive, to the point of almost being what some would call a jerk, you could revoke the permission for that cache. Caches need permission to be hidden, and since it's your private property, presumably you can grant & revoke permission.

Or maybe you should have thought about that cache before spending so much time on all these caches, since you apparently knew about it ahead of time.

If it's truly a "large" farm then an area of 20 acres or less (depending on boundaries, buildings, etc.) shouldn't be too large of a loss, can't you work around it?

Well, if you want to be a bit assertive, to the point of almost being what some would call a jerk, you could revoke the permission for that cache. Caches need permission to be hidden, and since it's your private property, presumably you can grant & revoke permission.

Or maybe you should have thought about that cache before spending so much time on all these caches, since you apparently knew about it ahead of time.

If it's truly a "large" farm then an area of 20 acres or less (depending on boundaries, buildings, etc.) shouldn't be too large of a loss, can't you work around it?

Well I never gave the c/o permission to begin with it was just placed there. For the caches I am building I have places for them but I could always add one more being that I have more ideas. Some areas were I could place a cache has no parking near and I don't want people parking in the middle of the road for obvious safety issues it's a small town and the roads are narrow and very curvy if you have never been on a backwoods road in ky (again my caches will be placed with a lot of thought too the cacher)

Your caches sound wonderful with lots of thought, and that is great.

Is that other micro cache still there and in good shape? When was the last time it was actually found?

I wouldn't advocate harming the existing cache or forcing archival, but if there is an issue with it then perhaps it has run its time.

When yours get put in the area, seekers will likely find yours, and the other one as well. Their logs will reflect that yours was the better experience, and you can take pride in that.

Well I never gave the c/o permission to begin with it was just placed there.

If it was placed on your private property with no permission requested/granted, you shouldn't even give a second thought to having it archived. The CO broke the rules, whether he knew it or not. Be assertive - if he's done it on your farm, he's probably done it elsewhere and he needs to learn that it's not OK.

Your caches sound wonderful with lots of thought, and that is great.

Is that other micro cache still there and in good shape? When was the last time it was actually found?

I wouldn't advocate harming the existing cache or forcing archival, but if there is an issue with it then perhaps it has run its time.

When yours get put in the area, seekers will likely find yours, and the other one as well. Their logs will reflect that yours was the better experience, and you can take pride in that.

It's a small plastic test tube wrapped in duct tape, it used to get wet until I moved it a couple feet. It's not in horrible shape but not the greatest ever.

what is the problem, read the forums, all people yell lound and clear,

lets see more cool new good quality caches,

lets archive stuff that is bad, not cool, not visited, not maintained.

you get a favorite point from here :-)

your caches sounds like cool and great, good quality

one old lame cache in your area will maybe trick people to vitit it ?

while people seek your cool series ?

then they get a shock, and will be even more happy about your style of higher quality.

Edited by OZ2CPU

On your property without anyone ever asking your permission??? I would have a Reviewer archive that in a heartbeat. We had one placed by someone else outside the edge of our property and ended up having our landscape lighting destroyed by people hunting it. I sent a note to the Reviewer who archived it immediately. I think if I were in your shoes I would do the same.

Also, reading some previous posts about the existing cache, I think cachers might mistakenly attribute the "lesser" cache to you as a CO. Some may wonder why you put out a micro in the middle of what sounds like a cool series . Sure... the info is on the cache page, but lots of cachers don't pay attention. It was clearly in the description of the cache that I had archived that you did not need to come onto our property.

Sounds like a great plan you have for your hides!! Good luck with them!!:)

So should I be a "jerk" and move a simple micro tube for a more elaborate cache or leave the four year old cache alone?

I have to ask: How long have you known that other cache was there?

If you've known about it for a while, but you haven't done anything about it, I'd say you've given implicit permission. Changing your mind now just to place your own seems slightly "jerkish", though totally within your rights.

If you've only just realized it's there, then by all means, get a reviewer to archive it post-haste.

baloo&bd's question is a good one. Is it actually on your property, or just near it? If it's just near it, there's nothing you can do.

Without knowing the cache, difficult at best to comment. Is it on your property or the road in front of or easement in front of?

It's not a property issue it's clearly on my property and people often park in front of our gate we put up in order to search for it, I honestly do not care it's been there since 2009 and no one has bothered or damaged anything I know just as a land owner I could get it archived, the question is it worth replacing an established yet common micro with 40 finds in 4 years for something more elaborate and interesting.

I emailed the c/o several days ago and no response again he hasn't cached since 09' and the log has gotten wet several times according to the logs from cachers, I moved it a couple feet and seems to have fixed the issue though.

I would have recommended trying to contact the CO. You've already done that so give it two weeks and try again. After another two weeks contact the reviewer. But it's your property so you should not feel bad doing as you wish. If you want to use the location for your own hide then remove the other cache. Attempting to contact the other CO is a nice gesture, but shouldn't be required for you to enjoy your own property as you see fit.

the question is it worth replacing an established yet common micro with 40 finds in 4 years for something more elaborate and interesting.
Perhaps a better question is why are people not coming out to search for that cache in the first place? And would those factors result in people not coming to find your caches? For what sounds like a basic roadside micro, 10 finds/year seems pretty low to me, unless you're well off the beaten path & far from other caches.

I emailed the c/o several days ago and no response again he hasn't cached since 09' and the log has gotten wet several times according to the logs from cachers, I moved it a couple feet and seems to have fixed the issue though.
COs have an obligation under the guidelines to maintain their caches and listing pages. If he hasn't been active in the past 3 years and is unresponsive to email (give him some more time, though), he might not even care if his cache gets archived.

Without knowing the cache, difficult at best to comment. Is it on your property or the road in front of or easement in front of?

This sort of response always make me scratch my head. Just because the road has a ROW through someones property doesn't give the public carte blanche to do as they wish. If it's a public road you have the right to drive on it. If it's a public sidewalk you have the right to walk on it. Hiding a cache on it would be no different than planting tulips on it. Both should not be done without permission.

Based on all the clues in this thread, it wasn't hard to track down the cache in question. Judging by how succinct most of the logs are, and how the owner did not get permission for the hide, I wouldn't hesitate in having it archived. Then you can set up your own caches in the best areas.

If this is truly the cache;

1. I cant tell from the trees how close it is to the road.

2. This cacher logged in as recently as 7APR12, so saying they "haven't cached since '09" is assuming a lot. There are cachers who no longer log their caches. We have a cacher near us that is probably sitting in the 4 to 5K rang and only logged his first 1000 or so.

3. Another nearby cache hidden only a few months after only has 78 finds, GC2397D.

Since this hasn't been an issue since 09, and it appears you even condoned it by moving it to keep it from getting wet, and now only becomes one because you want to hide a cache there, I think it would be somewhat petty to now want it archived. You keep stating it is "just a micro", however far more people filter out puzzles than micros. I suspect that the low find count is due to the remote locale. If so, a puzzle may garner even fewer finds unless it were super simple or, to use your terminology, "just a puzzle".

Since the cacher is still active, I would leave it sit. There looks like plenty of places to have it placed.

Edited by baloo&bd

This sort of response always make me scratch my head. Just because the road has a ROW through someones property doesn't give the public carte blanche to do as they wish. If it's a public road you have the right to drive on it. If it's a public sidewalk you have the right to walk on it. Hiding a cache on it would be no different than planting tulips on it. Both should not be done without permission.

You are correct, however the statement was made that it was on "their" property. If it was on something more public, like an easement, they are not the ones to be granting the permission. While permission may not have been granted by the proper authority, let's face it, if all were held to that standard, probably 2/3's or better of that existing traditional caches would be archived.

If the question was asked about an more obvious location like a park or guardrail, the majority of your responses would probably be much different.

to me...the cache is on your property and you want to use the spot for something else whether your new Spiderman cache or an outhouse, you should do so. You even tried to email the CO to be considerate. I would have no qualms at all given there was no agreement on your part to allow the cache even if you took no action on it before.

All this talk seems irrelevant.

It's his property. He wants to use it for something else, be it a cache or something else. It's fully in his right to say "get this off of my property," whether permission was granted or not. That he helped maintain it as a nice thing isn't permission. It's that he tolerated it. Now he wants something else for the property and no longer wants this there.

Get it archived.

"Dear Administrator. This cache is on my property and I'd like to request it be archived. I've tolerated it for a few years, but the cache owner doesn't take care of it nor does the owner respond to e-mails. Though the owner has been online, he or she has not logged any finds since 2009. I have other plans for this area and I'd like to request this cache be archived so I can do what I'd like on my property. Thank you."

Simple, cordial and to the point.

And if some cachers think you are a jerk because you had a cache that isn't taken care of on your property (without permission) to put in a well-thought out series, well, who cares? Their loss if they don't find it.

Get it archived and have no second thoughts about it.

I think everyone's covered the ground pretty well, but I just wanted to mention that these aren't your only two choices. You aren't being a jerk to tell the CO that you have a much better plan for the area and asking them to archive for you. That's done from time to time. You don't say exactly what you said to him, but since you sound like a nice guy, I'm guessing your note to him was along those lines. You haven't gotten an answer yet and may never, but try to keep it friendly in any case.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if you did something more drastic if you don't hear or he doesn't want to give you the area, since, as has been said, it's within your rights, the cache isn't anything stellar anyway, and you're basically already maintaining it. But, for the same reasons, I'd expect the CO to cooperate with you without you having to do anything unilateral.

Based on all the clues in this thread, it wasn't hard to track down the cache in question. Judging by how succinct most of the logs are, and how the owner did not get permission for the hide, I wouldn't hesitate in having it archived. Then you can set up your own caches in the best areas.

If that is truly the cache, from the title, I would guess it is on a guard rail, which, if that is true, would tell me that it is not on private property.

What should I have done? and now What should I do?

Pretty simple bait, but it seems to be working.

Yes, you'd think after the last thread that the OP would either not ask that question or that he actually enjoys the almost guaranteed dissension it is sure to cause.

Well honestly I like seeing people's views on things, and for what is supposed to be a family friendly game I keep being naive and thinking people will be cordial and polite (which most are), but some people get to freaking serious with it.

Alternatively, if the original cache owner is no longer active or responding to messages, you could unofficially adopt the cache and use it as an additional waypoint for your new caches. Maybe write a hint or a set of coordinates on the cap of the micro that will help solving one of your puzzles.

But if it is in the way of what you are trying to do with your caches, feel free to ask for archival.

Edited by the3gmen

If that is truly the cache, from the title, I would guess it is on a guard rail, which, if that is true, would tell me that it is not on private property.

I see guardrails placed on private property, by the property owner, all the time. It's not so black & white.

"Dear Administrator. This cache is on my property and I'd like to request it be archived. I've tolerated it for a few years, but the cache owner doesn't take care of it nor does the owner respond to e-mails. Though the owner has been online, he or she has not logged any finds since 2009. I have other plans for this area and I'd like to request this cache be archived so I can do what I'd like on my property. Thank you."

I was going to type this until I saw softball29 already had. So +1. If you want to be really nice to the CO, you could send him this email first:

"Dear CO, I'd like to talk to you about the cache you have on my property. Please get in contact with me within [FILL IN THE BLANK] days so we can talk about it. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll be asking for it to be archived and will replace it with my own."

I doubt you'll hear back from the CO, and you've given him a chance to get in touch with him/her and work it out. But in the end, it's your property, and there's no ongoing "implied permission" which ties your hands now.

My only thought in favor of keeping the cache was that you indicate there aren't many where you live, and it might be nice to have the existing cache - as mundane as it is - available as a "bonus" to those folks coming out to get yours and others in the series you're planning.

Interesting what you wrote about this "simple micro tube", if this really is the cache in question. "Very fun, didnt sign the log because its soaking wet. But really fun find."

I naturally thought the same, until reading through some of the logs and finding this entry:

Found this one on a rainy day. The log was soaked and it was farther out than we thought. Muggles passing us by seemed confused as to why we were pulled over and looking around a fence. What a laugh we had about that! TFTC

Interesting what you wrote about this "simple micro tube", if this really is the cache in question. "Very fun, didnt sign the log because its soaking wet. But really fun find."

It was my second find ever if I recall, a light pole skirt was still new and different, way to take things out of context. But also note the poor quality I found it in.

It was my second find ever if I recall, a light pole skirt was still new and different, way to take things out of context. But also note the poor quality I found it in.

Fair enough. That makes sense.