Container or Location which to log?

captnemo

Went caching today for 3 caches all within 0.3 miles of each other.

Cache #1 is listed as an ammo can.

Cache #2 is listed as a Decon container.

Cache #3 is listed as a Regular, but as a micro in the writeup and is part of a series that are listed and are micros.

Got to location #1 and found the Decon container from #2 (verifed by the log). Signed the log. :blink:

Got to location #2 and found nothing. :(

Got to location #3 and found an ammo box with no ID on box or in log. Signed log.

OK, so what caches do I claim as finds? I did find two containers, one out of place and one maybe out of place! :blink:

I am inclined to claim #2 and #3 as finds as these are the logs I found and signed, DNF #1 and post NM on all three! :o The problem with this is it will show #2 as a find but it's not where it's susposed to be and could confuse future cachers? :blink:

I left all where I found them.

Edited by captnemo

I would log finds and DNFs based on the locations, and state what I found as well as my suspicion as to where the containers really belong.

After all, Geocaching is about location, location, location...not trying to unravel what happened when some n00b (who didn't understand that you don't move the containers) came through.

Of course it could be some sort of pirate (or maggot) trying to create his own game, or just wanting to mess with the locals.

I'd log based on container, so FI on #1 & #2 (with location where you found it), DNF # 3 and email to co + NM on all 3. This is messy enough though that you wouldn't be wrong to log based on location either. Either way seems arguably correct to me.

#2 should probably get a NA log too so it can be disabled since nothing is findable there. (It is arguable that all 3 could be logged NA because this is such a mess, that way a reviewer could disable them until it is sorted out.)

What a mess!

Are these caches, stand alone caches in the middle of a power trail full of micros? Your description of things sounds like someone is moving the caches along the trail.

At any rate, I'd log the listings where I found a cache at their coordinates. I have found many caches that did not match the descriptions. Many cache owners don't even realize that they can edit their listings after they do maintenance and change containers.

Several other similar hide and seek games exist.

so they can offcourse locate them at the very same spot, this is seen several times.

a GEOCACHE (the game we play here) must have a LOGBOOK

and written GEOCACHE on/in the container if its size permit it,

on smaller containers it is normally ok to write geocache in the logbook.

it is also a general recommendation to put in a stash note !

and also write the geocache NAME and its GC code in the log book !

if what you found can not be identified while you are on the site, it is a DNF !

contact CO, make him check and correct his cache so it can be identified and found and logged.

if this dont happen, log a NA.

Edited by OZ2CPU

:blink:

OK, since you asked, I think you can log a find on cache#2 as you did find the container and verified the cache by the log (wrong location, though!)

For cache#3, it's a DNF because there was no way of identifying which cache you found. For all you know, it may not be a geocaching.com cache. If it was a micro without identification, I would log it as this fit the description. However, seeming as it's an ammo can, something is far wrong.

:blink:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I reread the listing for cache #3 and the size at the top lists it as a regular however the discription lists it as a micro. :blink: As it is the end of a power trail I believe that the discription is a copy and paste. So I loged it as a find and noted that I was surprised to find a ammo can there and not the micros I've found at others on this trail.

I am leaning to loging #1 as a find and #2 as a DNF. I did sign a log at location #1 but it is the container and log for #2 :blink: so if I go back and find a cache at location #2 I will log #2 as a find then at least thats my leaning at this time.

Are these caches, stand alone caches in the middle of a power trail full of micros? Your description of things sounds like someone is moving the caches along the trail.

At any rate, I'd log the listings where I found a cache at their coordinates. I have found many caches that did not match the descriptions. Many cache owners don't even realize that they can edit their listings after they do maintenance and change containers.

I'd have to agree that they have been moved, they are part of a power trail I did it back in Feb.

Edited by vagabond

I'd have to agree that they have been moved, they are part of a power trail I did it back in Feb.

The owner of one of the series up there states that his caches are NOT to be moved. I was talking to another cacher that has had a regular sized cache in place along the way, predating the power trail by a couple of years. He started getting strange logs so he went and checked. Sure enough, his container had been moved up the road about 15 spots on the power trail.

Ok I have logged by location. #1 & #3 as finds and #2 as a DNF. I also logged NM on #1 & #2. Going to interesting if #2 gets replaced, either with a new container or moved back from #1 and I go to log it. :blink:

Edited by captnemo

also you find alot of caches with minor errors

like wrong size, forgot cache name in the log,

hint dont really match at all,

this way identifying what you found is very hard,

log as found, explain what you found,

if CO delete your log, you found some other game piece or random trash looking like cache.

The owner of one of the series up there states that his caches are NOT to be moved. I was talking to another cacher that has had a regular sized cache in place along the way, predating the power trail by a couple of years. He started getting strange logs so he went and checked. Sure enough, his container had been moved up the road about 15 spots on the power trail.
[insert standard rant about people treating non-fungible caches as though they were fungible.]