Rejuvenate the Geocache Maps with NEW Caches Galore!

Wow, I've been thinking something along the line of original posters topic for a while now.I totally agree with him about a 'geocache cleaning/clearing out time frame, But totally disagree about the archiving for sake of 'age'. What I wanted to propose is we as a community make an effort to (AFTER CHECKING/FINDING) 'clean house' of all the 'needs maint.' caches that the CO's are NOT going out and fixing and the 1.5/1.5 caches with 10 'DNF' and no response from CO. We have a few around here that just sit around languish month after month,year after year with no action by CO,just a lot of 'DNF's and/or "All that's left of cache is XXXXXX" . Sooooo,maybe (AGAIN,AFTER CHECKING/FINDING said type caches) set some kind of timeframe ,say 1 month? 2 month of say 5 DNF's or 5 'needs maint.' (for 1.5/1.5 caches) with NO ACTION taken by CO....said caches would be archived. I'm going to post this now and wait for the backlash.

We have a few around here that just sit around languish month after month,year after year with no action by CO,just a lot of 'DNF's and/or "All that's left of cache is XXXXXX" . Sooooo,maybe (AGAIN,AFTER CHECKING/FINDING said type caches) set some kind of timeframe ,say 1 month? 2 month of say 5 DNF's or 5 'needs maint.' (for 1.5/1.5 caches) with NO ACTION taken by CO....said caches would be archived. I'm going to post this now and wait for the backlash.

A neglected cache that is missing will get archived by reviewers. I don't think anyone disputes that is a good thing.

If i've been to an interesting spot to find a cache I don't need a new cache to go back and enjoy the spot again. If I want to find a cache I'll go to one of the other 700+ caches within 25 miles of my house. I see no need to archive a cache just to place a new one and generate another GC number.

I have not seen all caches in the whole world, nor do I know all CO out there,

but so far I tottally agree with thread starter !!

too many caches are in a terrible shape, and it is the same bad shape all over where I have been,

offcurse there are alot of good ones out there too, but it is over 50% of them that really could need a service check.

I tried alot, also on this forum and in feature/rule suggestions

but see only resistance on all my moves !!

good luck I say, you are a one man army, fight for good caches all alone,

no one else care a bit.

oh I am sorry, at least we are now two :-)

good luck to you, my only friend.

Edited by OZ2CPU

In my area, though I cached it out, I would much rather see a small number of good quality caches that bring somewhere worth seeing than 100's of arbitrary caches. I like the older caches as well because it's fun to see the new people finding them.

I agree. I don't want to see caches placed for the sake of placing a cache. Many of the oldest caches around here are also the best ones around. I'd hate to see an old ammo box placed near a scenic waterfall replaced with a hide a key in the guardrail 500 feet away.

"I placed a cache here because this parking lot had none" :laughing:

Wow, I've been thinking something along the line of original posters topic for a while now.I totally agree with him about a 'geocache cleaning/clearing out time frame, But totally disagree about the archiving for sake of 'age'. What I wanted to propose is we as a community make an effort to (AFTER CHECKING/FINDING) 'clean house' of all the 'needs maint.' caches that the CO's are NOT going out and fixing and the 1.5/1.5 caches with 10 'DNF' and no response from CO. We have a few around here that just sit around languish month after month,year after year with no action by CO,just a lot of 'DNF's and/or "All that's left of cache is XXXXXX" . Sooooo,maybe (AGAIN,AFTER CHECKING/FINDING said type caches) set some kind of timeframe ,say 1 month? 2 month of say 5 DNF's or 5 'needs maint.' (for 1.5/1.5 caches) with NO ACTION taken by CO....said caches would be archived. I'm going to post this now and wait for the backlash.

This is a much better approach than just archiving for age, or replacing for the sake of replacing. This is just community encouraged cache maintenance and quality. I believe that is how the system should work.

PS, for those languishing, no-owner, many DNF caches, mark them as Needs Archived to move them along in the process.

Could we just rejuvenate them by having each cache searcher every so often going out with a cloth, water, duct tape and swag, fixing up a cache or two then adding a note to the cache that says "refurbished XX/XX/XXXX"? How cool would that be if you noticed a cache log that showed it need help in a log note and you just went out and fixed it up? (Kumbayahhhhhhh!) But seriously. Wouldn't that help?

Edited by Team Eccentric