Trackable Book?

Corked

So I'm about to get into caching and had an interesting idea. Could I use the code from a new Travel Bug to make a novel trackable? Ideally, someone would pick up the book, read it, and put it into a different cache and send it on its way - hopefully making it from coast to coast. Is my understanding of the travel code accurate?

Also, were you to find a book (if you already have share the story) in a cache would you read it before passing it along? Would you leave it there if you didn't have any intention of reading it?

Yes, I believe you could use that code for a book. I may or may not read it, but I would move it along to a new cache regardless.

Whether or not I read the book would depend on what type of book it is, how long it is, and how much it interests me.

It might be a challenge to identify a book in a cache as a trackable, though. Is there anyway to attach the dog tag to the book? I realize you can write the code ON the book, but I still think it might be difficult for anyone looking at the cache to realize the book is a trackable, not SWAG.

It's an interesting idea you have!

I love trackables and pick up almost every one I come across, but I probably wouldn't pick up a book; not that I don't like books (I do!) but that I wouldn't want to be carrying it around until I find another cache large enough to hold it without dumping out any swag that might be in it.

There are a few caches around here that are 'libraries', where the idea is that it is a place to swap books (they are the swag). I've picked one up occasionally, and dropped one off occasionally. If it was trackable, I would log it -- but if the number is inside the book, I might not notice that it is trackable.

I would definitely make it pretty clear that the book was trackable. That BookCrossing website is a pretty interesting idea but I kind of like the idea of setting a goal for it and passing it from cacher to cacher (group of people I think would like the book). Time wouldn't be a huge issue as I'd prefer if people actually read it anyway.

The size thing is a bit of a concern.

I would definitely make it pretty clear that the book was trackable.

One way to do that is to write it on the page edges (with the book closed, opposite the binding). It would be very difficult to remove, and losing a page would not loose the tracking number.

Austin