Oldest active caches?

How about a list.

(I'll make a bookmark if there isn't one already)

The Oldest Active:

Traditional - Mingo - GC30

Multi - Tour of Stone Mountain - GC1E

Mystery/Puzzle - Octopus Garden - GC70

Virtual - Lane Cove - GC3E

Webcam -

Letterbox -

Earthcache -

Wherigo -

Ape -

Micro -

Small -

Regular -

Large -

.... and for the heck of it :rolleyes:

LPC -

Edited by Totem Clan

I have this bookmark list.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=4ef60473-96d9-4f21-9266-3b45890a601e

it will show traditional (GC12 given GC30 is not active technically), puzzle (GC70), multi (GC1E), and virtual (GC3E)

obviously oldest active ape cache is a silly (ish) question as there is only one active ape cache

Thanks.

Yeah but if I didn't put Ape somebody would have blown a gasket. :rolleyes:

In the year 2000 there was no listing of Micros. Just virtual, Large, Regular, small, not chosen and other.

Here is oldest Multi.

http://coord.info/GC1E

I guess your list would be called a Trivia list

I checked out that link and it doesnt look like its the oldest multi since it started out as a traditional.

Ok we'll add the (*) as they are now listed. How 'bout that?

In the year 2000 there was no listing of Micros. Just virtual, Large, Regular, small, not chosen and other.

Here is oldest Multi.

I checked out that link and it doesnt look like its the oldest multi since it started out as a traditional.

Thats fine.

When did GS added multi to the list? Anyone knows?

I believe http://coord.info/GC62 is the oldest multi that started out as a multi. Correct me if I am wrong.

Wrong.

I remember when small was added (in 2003 or 2004 I think). Something in between micro and regular.

He means listed size

First small is GC43 Traditional Cache Europe's First

C192 Letterbox HybridOpen Space Letterbox 7A, 1/4 section cornor

1/15/2001 NM also the oldest active cache in New Mexico

GC2585 Webcam CacheSun n' Surf "Cache-cam"

10/30/2001 NC oldest active US webcam cache

GC18CR7 Wherigo CacheTreasure Island III

1/19/2008 CA USA first Wherigo

Don't know about the other countries

Edited by jellis

The Oldest Active:

Webcam - Leeds Web-Cam Cache - GC24CD

Letterbox -

Earthcache -

Wherigo -

Ape -

Micro -

Small -

Regular -

Large -

LPC -

Edited by Totem Clan

Here is oldest Multi.

Thats fine.

I believe http://coord.info/GC62 is the oldest multi that started out as a multi. Correct me if I am wrong.

wrong

Tour of Stone Mountain

A cache by LostNfound Hidden : 06/11/2000

Wrong.

I remember when small was added (in 2003 or 2004 I think). Something in between micro and regular.

He means listed size

I am a bit confused....

what are you defining as "listed" size??

I assure you that the official size known as "small" did not exist in 2000, 2001 or 2002.

Here is oldest Multi.

Thats fine.

wrong

Tour of Stone Mountain

A cache by LostNfound Hidden : 06/11/2000

It didnt start out as a multi. We are trying to find the "true" oldest multi.

Wrong.

He means listed size

I am a bit confused....

I assure you that the official size known as "small" did not exist in 2000, 2001 or 2002.

Unless they changed it later did you look at the cache I listed as being the first?

I see 4 2000 caches listed as small

Edited by jellis

Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Let me pull a few bookmark into GSAK and I should have the list quickly.

Good minds think alike! I just pulled in lamoracke's bookmark list.

Large: GC1D (06/03/2000)

Regular: GC30 (05/11/2000) (This might change :laughing: )

Small: GC43 (06/03/2000) (Obviously not originally listed as a small)

None of the year 2000 caches have been made into micros.

Wrong.

He means listed size

I am a bit confused....

Unless they changed it later did you look at the cache I listed as being the first?

I see 4 2000 caches listed as small

When small was added - we were allowed to go back and change our older caches listed size (as you can still do today). I remember changing about a dozen of mine the day that "small" was added as an option. Changed a few largish micros to small and some smallish regulars.

It would be VERY difficult to determine the first "new" cache that used that listing size.

This is what I have so far.

The Oldest Active:

Letterbox - Open Space Letterbox 7A, 1/4 section corner - GC192

Earthcache -

Wherigo -

Ape - Mission 4: Southern Bowl - GCC67

Micro - Amsterdam Urban 1 - GC198

Small - Europe's First - GC43

Regular - Mingo - GC30

Large - Beaver Cache (the beavers have moved on) - GC1D

LPC -

Edited by Totem Clan

Sorry, That virtual didnt start out as one so it isnt really the oldest one. There been a few debates about that virtual.

Hard to say, Like GC12 is actually a Large but is listed as Not Chosen it is listed as that as the oldest active.

So when did they change Lane cove to Virtual icon? That is the question or as it is listed now.

The Oldest Active: (* as they are listed now)

Earthcache - NC Geology #1: Paleo Pavement Earthcache - GC6D8B

Wherigo - Where I went, Hugo - GC18FP7

Regular - Mingo - GC30

LPC -

Regular - Mingo - GC30

LPC -

Note: He says "* as they are listed now"

Edit to quote his quote

Edited by jellis

Sorry, That virtual didnt start out as one so it isnt really the oldest one. There been a few debates about that virtual.

Hard to say, Like GC12 is actually a Large but is listed as Not Chosen it is listed as that as the oldest active.

So when did they change Lane cove to Virtual icon? That is the question or as it is listed now.

Around this time when it was changed over to a virtual. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3bff82b4-b941-4606-84a6-49d509d3fbeb

Regular - Mingo - GC30

LPC -

If you do or don't I thank you for letting us help you put this together and just waiting for your bookmark list on it.

I've seen claims that Rift Valley in Kenya is the first Virtual. Looking at the logs, the first "find" was on 2/27/2002, eight months before the log on Lane Cove which suggest that it should be changed to a virtual. From the Lane Cove logs it appears that the physical cache was removed in August 2001 by park authorities but there aren't any logs between the August 2001 logs and then a log in October 2012. While Lane Cove may be an older cache listing, Rift Valley may actually be the first cache listed as a virtual.

I have no time, right now, to do that kind of homework, but I can share my oldest active cache, which was placed on 12/1/2002. It probably won't help your list, at all, but I love my first cache hide so much! :D

It has been written about in the book Treasures: Geocaching across America.

It has been found by Jeremy and Shauna from Groundspeak.

It has some favorite points, a great gallery, and wonderful logs, the kind of logs one can only hope for. Even the shortest logs mention how nice it is, and there is just one blank smartphone log, out of 128 logs.

Cathedral In The Pines - GCB017

I've seen claims that Rift Valley in Kenya is the first Virtual. Looking at the logs, the first "find" was on 2/27/2002, eight months before the log on Lane Cove which suggest that it should be changed to a virtual. From the Lane Cove logs it appears that the physical cache was removed in August 2001 by park authorities but there aren't any logs between the August 2001 logs and then a log in October 2012. While Lane Cove may be an older cache listing, Rift Valley may actually be the first cache listed as a virtual.

Yes but I think he is going by what is listed now. With some of the oldest caches there maybe also a lot missing with most of them since they never had published dates only placed dates and maybe missing some original logs, who's to say when they were really first found, it might be easier to do it this way.

Too bad these can't make the list cause they are no longer active

09/12/2001..........First locationless cache: "Please Donate Blood Cache" by k2dave (GC1C90)

03/24/2001..........First event cache: "Austin Geocachers Happy Hour" by Austin Geocachers (GC389)

Too bad these can't make the list cause they are no longer active

09/12/2001..........First locationless cache: "Please Donate Blood Cache" by k2dave (GC1C90)

03/24/2001..........First event cache: "Austin Geocachers Happy Hour" by Austin Geocachers (GC389)

I was thinking of added them to the list. Maybe with an * to note they were first but are now archived.

...and don't forget CITO.

The point was to create a list of the oldest of each that could still be logged and show up as your oldest found.

(I'm am not going to get into the MINGO thing).

Yes but I think he is going by what is listed now. With some of the oldest caches there maybe also a lot missing with most of them since they never had published dates only placed dates and maybe missing some original logs, who's to say when they were really first found, it might be easier to do it this way.

The placed date for Rift Valley is listed as 6/15/2000, which coincides with the list that Lil Devil posted:

06/15/2000..........First Kenya, first Africa and first virtual cache: "Equatorial Divine" by Hans-Georg Michna (GC53)

Even if Lane Cove was changed from a traditional to a virtual the day that it was reported that the physical container was removed by the park service, that's still over a year after Rift Valley was "published". Although the list that lapaglia posted referred to the "first virtual cache" as "Equatorial Divide" the GC code for Rift Valley is the same. If one is creating a list of oldest active caches by type it really looks to me like Rift Valley, even though the name *may* have been changed, is the oldest.

If you're compiling a list of the oldest cache listings based on the currently listed type I suppose Lane Cove would be on the list as the oldest active virtual.

I have a bookmarked list call Firsts. The intro section explains a bit about the history of the cache types.

This is NOT a list of "oldest active", it's a list of caches that were the first of the their respective types.

If they are still active, they're the oldest, obviously.

Letterbox Hybrid is just a guess. In the very old forums, early 2001, you'll find reference to as many as 15% of geocaches being cross-listed letter boxes.

Firsts

The oldest micro cache in the US, that was originally placed as a micro, is Prime Suspect's

I'm Not Bluffing GC44E.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I have a bookmarked list call Firsts. The intro section explains a bit about the history of the cache types.

This is NOT a list of "oldest active", it's a list of caches that were the first of the their respective types.

If they are still active, they're the oldest, obviously.

Letterbox Hybrid is just a guess. In the very old forums, early 2001, you'll find reference to as many as 15% of geocaches being cross-listed letter boxes.

Firsts

The oldest micro cache in the US, that was originally placed as a micro, is Prime Suspect's

I'm Not Bluffing GC44E.

Kewl, thanks.