"Charter Member"

ScottJ

Recently, elsewhere on the Internet, the subject of membership renewals came up. Apparently, someone whose credit card info had changed had his renewal botched by a software problem and had to sign up again, losing his "Charter Member" status.

This reminded me of two things:

1) My credit card info has changed too, and

2) I have no earthly idea when I signed up.

I have looked all over the web site and can't find anything that will tell me my expiration date or let me update my credit card info.

I'm proud to have been one of the first to support geocaching.com, and would hate to lose my "Charter Member" logo because of an avoidable mistake. So, enlighten me ... anyone know where one can get to the magic page where membership information can be viewed/updated?

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

If your membership ever switches from Charter to Premium by these issues, just email us and we'll switch it back. We definitely appreciate the folks who helped support us early on.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Recently, elsewhere on the Internet, the subject of membership renewals came up. Apparently, someone whose credit card info had changed had his renewal botched by a software problem and had to sign up again, losing his "Charter Member" status.

This reminded me of two things:

1) My credit card info has changed too, and

2) I have no earthly idea when I signed up.

I have looked all over the web site and can't find anything that will tell me my expiration date or let me update my credit card info.

On PayPal, when changing credit card info, you have to do it in a specific order. You have to add the new credit card to your account first. Then you can remove the old one. If you remove the old one first, you lose all the automatic payments that were set up for that account.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

By definition, a 'Charter' member would have been one from the begining, or close to it, i.e. 'charter member'='founding member'.

This thought has been on my mind as well though. When is(was) the cut-off for Charter members?

Draegon, Mentor of the OKIC

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

What is the definition of Charter Member?

Mine says Premium member on my cache page now. I didn't think there was any difference. I thought that "Charter Member" only showed up under your avatar. Until you change it anyway.

Are there some different benefits for the charter members? Or is it just a badge of honor in the forums? I'm sure mine said Charter when I first signed up.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

As a matter of fact, when I intially signed up on Geocaching, my profile showed "Charter Member". It later changed to "Active Member". Now, since I paid my dues, it says "Premium Member". Any explanation for these changes? What was the cut-off for charter vs. active vs. premium? etc., etc., et. al.

Naturally mine is not the last word, but if I recall, you became a charter member by paying $30 during the first year or so that membership started. The price is still the same now for premium members with no differences between the two. The benefit of becoming a charter member when it was offered was that the cost of membership would not go up for as long as you kept your membership current. Here is a link to a previous discussion on the matter.

Does anyone know how I can check up on the status of my automated payment? And is there a way to change it to automated if it wasn't?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I think you check in Paypal, you need to select subscriptions. You can't change it to automated, but if you go to the subscribe page about a week before your membership runs out, you can subscribe again, but this time use the automated icon if you want the payments to be recurring. Otherwise you can just go another year. That way your membership won't lapse. At least thats how it worked for me.

Hmmm... Just checked mine and it says Premium though I think I signed up within the first week or so it was offered. If I remember right, I think the membership expired and because my credit card had expired it didn't automatically renew. I guess it switched to Premium when I renewed it.

sigavatar.gif

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

quote:
Originally posted by UFBuilder:

As a matter of fact, when I intially signed up on Geocaching, my profile showed "Charter Member". It later changed to "Active Member". Now, since I paid my dues, it says "Premium Member". Any explanation for these changes? What was the cut-off for charter vs. active vs. premium? etc., etc., et. al.

I was checking on this myself, and I found that my profile used to say Charter Member, but now that a year has come and gone, when I renewed my membership I am now just a premium member. Course by the time I renewed mine, all of my information had changed, if that has anything to do with it, but I thought it was pretty cool that I got in on the ground floor, so to speak.

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1

I guess the fact that I've been caching for two years and am one of the biggest cachers in the area is good enough for me.

Draegon, Mentor of the OKIC

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

In another thread on this subject, Jeremy said that if you got changed from charter member to premium member due to a glitch with PayPal, temporary lapse, etc., that you could just write to the contact address and they would fix it back to charter member.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.