Do you thank others for moving a TB?

team-adoptapet

I've only gotten one "thanks" for moving a trackable, so it's not customary in my experience. I did think it was kind of a neat gesture, and I've thanked a few people for moving mine since then, especially if they leave an amusing log, or photos, etc. I think it's entirely appropriate (and certainly in no way inappropriate). I'd tell them just what you posted here - that it's your first TB and you're excited that it's on its way. I know I'd be pleased to receive an e-mail like that (and I'd make extra sure I left your TB in a good cache after that). You might not get any e-mail in response though (but make sure you have the box checked down at the bottom that talks about including your e-mail, so they can respond easily if they want).

I hope your TB travels far and wide!

Edit to add: On the "thanks" that I did receive, the owner didn't really say what I was being thanked for. At first I wondered if maybe this was a CO on some cache that I'd found or something? It took me a bit to figure out just who this person was and why they were thanking me. :) So anyway, maybe include the name of the TB you're e-mailing them about.

Edited by terrkan78

I've only gotten one "thanks" for moving a trackable, so it's not customary in my experience. I did think it was kind of a neat gesture, and I've thanked a few people for moving mine since then, especially if they leave an amusing log, or photos, etc. I think it's entirely appropriate (and certainly in no way inappropriate). I'd tell them just what you posted here - that it's your first TB and you're excited that it's on its way. I know I'd be pleased to receive an e-mail like that (and I'd make extra sure I left your TB in a good cache after that). You might not get any e-mail in response though (but make sure you have the box checked down at the bottom that talks about including your e-mail, so they can respond easily if they want).

I hope your TB travels far and wide!

Edit to add: On the "thanks" that I did receive, the owner didn't really say what I was being thanked for. At first I wondered if maybe this was a CO on some cache that I'd found or something? It took me a bit to figure out just who this person was and why they were thanking me. :) So anyway, maybe include the name of the TB you're e-mailing them about.

Thanks!

My first TB just got moved! I tried to search the forum for this topic, but I didn't see anything. Is it customary, appropriate, bothersome, appreciated or otherwise to e-mail the cacher that moved the TB and thank them for their time? TIA!

I always send a "thank you" email to anybody who moves my TBs and geocoins. I do it because I really do appreciate it when people move them and log them, and I also (selfishly) hope that it encourages people to take care of my travelers by logging them properly. I've received thanks from others, as well, so I don't think it's uncommon.

I good geocacher is one who log online as soon as possible for him,

when he take and when he place a trackable..

A careless geocacher is one who take and place trackables

and dont care about the online logs, but he do care to log online his cache finds.

I am sorry to say this, but I do see the number of careless geocachers growing,

what a shame, people do pay money for trackables and they do enjoy to see them moved and all that,

I personally log trackables on the road ! much higher priority over logging a cache find.

I dont think you should thank people for acting like they are supposed to,

it is a part of this game..

but maybe you should hate people for not ?

It depends...

If someone grabs the TB and moves it along to another cache, I don't email them. That could be a lot of work and time consuming (life gets busy).

But, if someone holds onto my TB's and *visits* them to a lot of caches (like on vacation travel), I will email them and say THANK YOU for the adventure!! I enjoy reading their logs, seeing the pictures, and reading about the 'people' who have carried the TB around with them.

I would think....grabbing and moving a TB is the standard game. But when a geocacher has a TB and travels around with them, they care enough about the TB not wanting to let it go yet and carry it along while on vacation (for instance). That's kinda neat...

When one of my lost TBs turns up and gets placed, I send a PM and I place a note on the TB page, thanking the cacher that placed it. BUT...

I first re-read the messages I'm sending. There seems to be a fine line between "Thank you for moving my TB!" and telling someone "it's about time you moved my TB!". I try to ensure that my PM can only be read as genuine gratitude, because any PM about this topic is unusual to receive.

I have found that it helps the trackable to survive to say thanks.

As soon as someone picks up my trackable, I send them a message saying thanks and that I look forward to seeing where they'll place it.

As soon as they drop it off, I send them a thank you for helping my trackable on it's mission.

If someone posts a "discover" log somewhere other than an event, I'll send a thank you email for letting me know that it's safe and sound.

A little thanks goes a long way in helping your trackable survive. With that said, I've still lost a few trackables which I hope will show up someday.

But, if someone holds onto my TB's and *visits* them to a lot of caches (like on vacation travel), I will email them and say THANK YOU for the adventure!! I enjoy reading their logs, seeing the pictures, and reading about the 'people' who have carried the TB around with them.

I would think....grabbing and moving a TB is the standard game. But when a geocacher has a TB and travels around with them, they care enough about the TB not wanting to let it go yet and carry it along while on vacation (for instance). That's kinda neat...

I agree on this one. I'm probably not jaded enough yet, but I enjoy seeing my TBs or coins being "dipped" in lots of caches, then reading up on the various cache descriptions and ... well ... living vicariously through the traveler. TBs will sooner or later end up in what I call "The Great European Travel Bug Gyre" anyway. That is, they get stuck in an endless loop in a major European country, hopping from TB hotel to TB hotel increasingly becoming "someone else's problem". You know which one ...