MIssing bugs

BlueDeuce

Why is it that I have to convince, plead and coerce people into waiting a full year to re-release a missing bug...

but it's a bigger problem to automatically mark as missing, (from a published and activated cache, a cache found several times in the last six months), a bug that hasn't been logged in over two years?

edit: clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Maybe you can answer a question I have. I had a bug go missing in 2010. My bug was marked as missing about 18 months later. This week it was suddenly "found" and placed in a cache in Colorado. I tried changing the "marked as missing" button to "recalculate distance" and it always defaults to "marked as missing". Do you know how to change this so it shows the bug back in circulation?

Maybe you can answer a question I have. I had a bug go missing in 2010. My bug was marked as missing about 18 months later. This week it was suddenly "found" and placed in a cache in Colorado. I tried changing the "marked as missing" button to "recalculate distance" and it always defaults to "marked as missing". Do you know how to change this so it shows the bug back in circulation?

Can you provide the reference number? Thanks.

It's supposed to come out of the Missing place, when the next person logs it.

Do you mean the drop-down "Mark as missing" box on the right side of the page? If so, that's the default selection, unless the Trackable's in your Collection. It's a pessimistic box.

Edited by kunarion

Your TB's look fine.

Do you mean the drop-down "Mark as missing" box on the right side of the page? If so, that's the default selection, unless the Trackable's in your Collection. It's a pessimistic box.

Any bug that was dropped over two years ago, listed as an active cache that has been logged as found, I donno know, three times within the last six months.

Follow me here, over two years ago. When do the "I'm tired of not finding a bug" people over-ride the "I don't have to/care to/need to move it out" people.

Any bug that was dropped over two years ago, listed as an active cache that has been logged as found, I donno know, three times within the last six months.

Follow me here, over two years ago. When do the "I'm tired of not finding a bug" people over-ride the "I don't have to/care to/need to/know to move it out" people.

Edit: added /Know to

Why is it that I have to convince, plead and coerce people into waiting a full year to re-release a missing bug...

but it's a bigger problem to automatically mark as missing, (from a published and activated cache, a cache found several times in the last six months), a bug that hasn't been logged in over two years?

I for one like to keep a tidy ship.

if i get several logs over a few months that a trackable is missing, its missing.

it don't need to sit in my cache a year before i mark it missing.

I for one like to keep a tidy ship.

if i get several logs over a few months that a trackable is missing, its missing.

it don't need to sit in my cache a year before i mark it missing.

i haven't placed any caches, but if i did , i'd keep a clean ship too.

how much time do we need to give someone to catch up and finally log their find?

i say.....a couple of weeks is plenty.

if the trackable hasn't been in my cache for 2 weeks, it's off my list.

i mean 'come on people'.

if it's not in the cache, it shouldn't be on the inventory list

Hi, going on vacation thought I'd grab a few TB's and move them a thousand mails or so. Made a list of localy listed TB's out of 6 found only 2, noted in cach log sight. Should I email cach owner, whos job is it remove icon on cach listing. Seems like a lot of missing TB's. Dont people realize to some of us these are our children please help us track them. Log them if you take them.

Walts Hunting is correct but check the logs for those missing TB's. Just click the link in the inventory list. If there has already been a note log stating that the trackable is not in the cache, you can just disregard as once is enough. If not, go ahead and add a note log stating that the item is not in GCxxxxx cache.

If the owner doesn't do anything from a filed log, they probably won't do anything from a personal email either (the log does generate an email).

Hi, going on vacation thought I'd grab a few TB's and move them a thousand mails or so. Made a list of localy listed TB's out of 6 found only 2, noted in cach log sight. Should I email cach owner, whos job is it remove icon on cach listing. Seems like a lot of missing TB's. Dont people realize to some of us these are our children please help us track them. Log them if you take them.

You have to be careful that the bug wasn't recently picked up but just not logged yet. My timeline is three months after the first report of not found in cache.

Next step is to contact the bug owner and let them know the bug was reported missing and then provide instructions on how to move it out. Three months.

Then you contact the cache owner and ask them to move it out, again providing instructions. Three months.

Then you contact the local reviewer.

Or send me your list and I'll take care of it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't know if I would call it their job. They have the ability and probably should but most don't. If you said on your log for the visit the status of bugs in the cache any further contact would be unnecessary and probably annoying. Once is enough.

Do you understand my point in this thread or is it just enough for you to tell people that it isn't their job. I say we need a change and yet I still make an effort.

You do neither.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We definitely need a change.

i don't keep track of these things but i think that the "Ghosting" of missing trackables,

was suggested a LONG time ago and we haven't seen any action from TPTB.

i really don't care how they do it, but it's too big of a problem to just ignore.

i really don't care how they do it,

What is your input concerning my recommendation.

i'm not sure what your recommendation is, but there are WAY too many trackables listed in cache inventories,

that are not physically in the cache.

3 months is too long.

the "Ghosting" suggestion was that...

if a cacher went to a cache and the trackable was not there, he could make an entry that would 'grey out' (ghost) the trackables name alerting other cachers that it isn't there.

like i said, i really don't care how it's fixed, but it DOES need fixin'