randmcnally.com

wilywampa

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I don't see where you can do a lat/lon search on their web site.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Come on, eagle-eyes, it was right in front of you. icon_biggrin.gif

Go to their 'get a map' page. Enter the latitude {comma} longitude in the "address/intersection/lat-long" field and click go.

Likewise, you can click on lat/long on the page and that will give you a popup to fill out (which just enters the values in the address box and clicks go for you).

quote:

Show me how to turn it into a direct link, smart guy.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Mission accomplished, chief! icon_cool.gif

I stole the following URL from their "recenter on this address" link.

Whole URL hidden for brevity

In that URL, you can make the A= value whatever you want the label on the X to be (in this URL it is 'work').

Set the T= to the latitude (in this case, my own)

Set the N= to the longitude (in this case, my own)

I dunno what all the rest of it is good for, but who cares.

Only works in the US, AFAIK.

Ta-da!

[Edited for coord correctness]

[This message was edited by ju66l3r on June 19, 2003 at 07:33 PM.]

Say, that *is* a nifty mapper, even has a link for local weather conditions. Nice!

For urban caching especially in an area with a lot of one way streets I would still recommend MapQuest as they have arrows indicating the direction a oneway street goes. At least where I live that makes getting around downtown a LOT less complicated. But definately the Rand maps are pretty to look at.

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

quote:

Show me how to turn it into a direct link, smart guy.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Doesn't Jeremy owe ju66l3r an official "smart guy" t-shirt?

Everything looks great except for the legal part:

quote:

You may print out any of the materials from this Web site for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Accordingly, you may copy this information only as necessary for your personal use to (i) view it on your screen, and (ii) save a single copy on your hard drive or disk, provided that you do not remove any copyright notices that appear and do not modify the information in any way, and/or (iii) print a copy for personal use. You may not otherwise reproduce, copy, modify, decompile, disassemble

or reverse engineer any materials from this Web site, and may not republish, upload, post, transmit, loan, rent, transfer, sell or otherwise distribute any materials from this Web site in any form, for any purpose. The use of any such materials on any other Web site or networked computer environment is also prohibited. If you use the materials other than as permitted in this license, you will be violating randmcnally.com's copyright and other proprietary rights.

Without limiting the foregoing, you may not use information contained in this Web site with any products, systems, or applications installed or otherwise connected to or in communication with vehicles, capable of vehicle navigation, positioning, dispatch, real time route guidance, fleet management or similar applications. You also may not use this information with or in communication with any mobile or wireless-connected electronic or computer devices,

including without limitation cellular phones, palmtop and handheld computers, pagers, and personal digital assistants or PDAs.

I'm sure it might be possible to modify this (read, pay them money), so it still might be worth at least looking into.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

As I would understand it...deep linking (linking directly to the results of a search) is not like using the information on Geocaching.com. I believe they're trying to prevent people from using their actual maps on their websites.

If I link to a spot where you can download a patch for Microsoft Streets and Trips, I'm not using their information on my site, I'm pointing to the results.

Does this site provide Non-US maps like Mapquest? I don't think so. We need to think globally, not just Ameri-centric.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

ummm.. so we shouldn't let americans use a better mapping service just because other people can't? and i also think that legal stuff refers to putting the actual maps on the website, not linking to theirs, but it would probably be a good idea to ask

Here is a bookmarklet script that works for me:

quote:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseInt(myArr[1])+parseFloat(myArr[2])/60;lond=parseInt(myArr[4])+parseFloat(myArr[5])/60;location.href='http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A='+latd+',-'+lond+'&z=large&l=9&T='+latd+'&N=-'+lond+'&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT';}

Once you have a bookmark saved with this script as the URL, you just select (highlight) the coordinates and then select the bookmark and it should take you to the Rand Map. This is also a handy way to jump to a map from coords posted to a locationless.

This script won't work for everyone as is. It assumes 'N' for lat and 'W' for lon, and won't work for lat > 10 or lon > 100 (due to a bug in parseInt()?).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

[This message was edited by Marky on June 20, 2003 at 11:46 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by bunnyfufu:

highlight the coords from where?

Any cache page with coords displayed in the standard format. You just drag the mouse across the coords to select them, and then activate the bookmarklet which picks up the selection, parses the coords out of it and formats it into the rand URL.

Also, I found that parseFloat() is much more forgiving that parseInt() so here is what I edited my script to:

quote:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])+parseFloat(myArr[2])/60;lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])+parseFloat(myArr[5])/60;location.href='http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A='+latd+',-'+lond+'&z=large&l=9&T='+latd+'&N=-'+lond+'&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT';}

It still is hardcoded to N & W, so should work for North America.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

A few clarifications:

About the licensing, first, randmcnally's license discusses "materials" of the webpage. An URL is not a "material" AFAIK, so use of a link does not break their license. There are much stricter website licenses which specifically declare deep linking to be illegal (only some of which have held up in court). Second, mapquest carries the same license statements (except they call it "information") and our little mapquest maps on each cache page could *easily* be considered duplication of their information on a commercial website. I haven't heard them knocking down any Jeremy's doors, so I'm sure they don't care.

Third, in terms of enforcement of these licenses, if the websites had any real need to enforce their own silly comments (their lawyers made them do it) then they could cancel any links from outside their own site by using HTTP referrer checks and killing any attempts from outside their own domain. They don't because they really don't care, so long as you're not trying to pass off your own website/product as their's (which is what has ended up in deep linking lawsuits in the past...e.g. Ticketmaster vs. Tickets.com).

Finally, unfortunately, randmcnally.com admits that they only have N American maps. It's unfortunate but true. If Jeremy would like to add the URL to our links, then I think it would be beneficial for those of us in N America. Hopefully there are other sites for other countries/continents that he can link to if they are brought up here as well.

I think the McNally link would be good, because unlike mapquest.com you can actually get driving directions to a pair of coordinates (mapquest only drives address->address).

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

Doesn't Jeremy owe ju66l3r an official "smart guy" t-shirt?

I won't hold my breath...so long as it was beneficial for everyone to have gotten the link for our pages, then I'm happy enough without the shirt. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tubby Rower:

I'm not too up to speed on javascript, how can you make it come out to a new window?

Never mind answered my own question with a little playing around.

quote:
javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])+parseFloat(myArr[2])/60;lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])+parseFloat(myArr[5])/60;window.open ('http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A='+latd+',-'+lond+'&z=large&l=9&T='+latd+'&N=-'+lond+'&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT');gohistory(-1);}

Thanks Marky for getting this together. I would have never thought to even try this. This is so awesome!!

kc

row, row, row your boat

quote:
Originally posted by bunnyfufu:

ummm.. so we shouldn't let americans use a better mapping service just because other people can't?

Not really the intention of what I meant to say. I just didn't want us REMOVING the Mapquest link in favor of the Rand McNally one. I wanted to prevent the conversation from taking that turn.

Non-US cachers get shafted enough with no initial map (the Tiger Census map), no Topozone maps, Lostoutdoors.com doesn't help them, etc., etc., etc. We take away Mapquest (which I doubt Jeremy would), and we would have an all out international incident. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

quote:

I'm not too up to speed on javascript, how can you make it come out to a new window?

Never mind answered my own question with a little playing around.

Nice addition! I'll have to change my bookmarklet to your version. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Love the javascript - now my question is....

Is there anyway to tweak this script so that it will use more than one space for a seperator, ie both:

N 46 13.167 W 119 11.983

N 34° 03.061 W 084° 39.226

would work? right now only the bottom one from gc.com works, but the top one is from another source I use.

Thanks.

mystats.php?userid=YeOleImposter&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

Well, have never played with Javascript before, but here is what I came up with to answer my own question.

I split the string into the lat & lon parts then split those, thereby avoiding problem where there is more than one space between the lat & lon.

Would appreciate it if anyone who knows better could comment if there would be any improvements on this:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split('W');lat=myArr[0];lon=myArr[1];latArr=lat.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(latArr[1])+parseFloat(latArr[2])/60;lonArr=lon.split(' ');lond=parseFloat(lonArr[1])+parseFloat(lonArr[2])/60;window.open ('http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A='+latd+',-'+lond+'&z=large&l=9&T='+latd+'&N=-'+lond+'&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT');gohistory(-1);}

Thanks!

mystats.php?userid=YeOleImposter&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

These scripts only work for the Western regions of the world, which is no problem for the RandMcNally map as this only covers the USA anyway.

For other parts of the world I made up a couple of other scripts:

Vicinity/MapBlast, 20km wide:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])+parseFloat(myArr[2])/60;lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])+parseFloat(myArr[5])/60;if(myArr[0]=='S'){ns='-'} else{ns=''};if(myArr[3]=='W'){ew='-'}else{ew=''};window.open ('http://www.vicinity.com/gif?DU=both&FAM=myblast&W=500&H=500&CT='+ns+latd+':'+ew+lond+':96000&IC='+ns+latd+':'+ew+lond+':8:');gohistory(-1);}

Map24 (Europe), 5km wide:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])*60+parseFloat(myArr[2]);lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])*60+parseFloat(myArr[5]);if(myArr[0]=='S'){ns='-'} else{ns=''};if(myArr[3]=='W'){ew='-'}else{ew=''};window.open ('http://www.map24.nl/map24/link2Map24.php?lid=17ac66fb&maptype=cgi&wx='+ew+lond+'&wy='+ns+latd+'&width=5000&description=&maptype=RELOAD');gohistory(-1);}

Map24 (Europe), 2km wide:

javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])*60+parseFloat(myArr[2]);lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])*60+parseFloat(myArr[5]);if(myArr[0]=='S'){ns='-'} else{ns=''};if(myArr[3]=='W'){ew='-'}else{ew=''};window.open ('http://www.map24.nl/map24/link2Map24.php?lid=17ac66fb&maptype=cgi&wx='+ew+lond+'&wy='+ns+latd+'&width=2000&description=&maptype=RELOAD');gohistory(-1);}

Does anyone have a way to ask for the wanted zoomlevel using these scrips?

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif