The new maps

cachew nut

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

Have you considered this could be Jeremy's elaborate joke on the Dutch? He told the rest of us to go along with it... icon_wink.gif

Oh, never mind.

Go to a cache, find "Online maps". There is a new option for geocaching.com maps. Those are the new maps.

(But I think Jeremy does not (yet?) have maps outside the US, so these will probably be of limited value at the moment.)

Found it, thanks.

And no, it is not showing European maps (yet?). I will incorporate this map into the CacheMaps range of online maps available for geocaching.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

Love the ability to hide certain cache types! However, I've noticed that unchecking the display of found/owned caches only removes the check mark, not the cache icons, showing all caches as unfound. Plus, disabling cache types while leaving the display of found/owned caches enabled leaves check marks on the map with no caches behind them. Will there be a way to turn off the display of the cache icons for found/owned caches as well?

you get to the new maps using the "map it" link on a page that returns multiple caches, like 'nearest caches', etc.

-- it would be nice to have a "map it" link next to a few of these links so that you don't have to go through two steps (two DB queries too!) to get to the map. for example, on a cache page you can click on "nearest caches" and get them as a list, which I find helpful for planning outings. If there was a a seperate "map it" link on that same line then I could go straight to a map rather than having to go to a list page, then a map.

--- never mind. I found it. It's under the mapping options. This is nice!

[This message was edited by WalruZ on October 01, 2003 at 09:46 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by DavidMac:

Love the ability to hide certain cache types! However, I've noticed that unchecking the display of found/owned caches only removes the check mark, not the cache icons, showing all caches as unfound. Plus, disabling cache types while leaving the display of found/owned caches enabled leaves check marks on the map with no caches behind them. Will there be a way to turn off the display of the cache icons for found/owned caches as well?

I've also noticed that the NEW flag will appear even though the cache icon has been hidden by the filter.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC005895

Great job folks!

Things are looking better all the time within just a few days. I like those new check box fields. Thanks for the red check marks on our own caches... and for listening to us.

I won't give any more suggestions, I think you've had enough of that for a while. icon_wink.gif

Parsa

It is AMAZING what Jeremy and crew can do with the map feature given time and feedback! Everyone now ENJOYS checking the map feature to see what’s new. Well, I know I do.

Larebel

"When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose". - Bob Dylan

Thanks for increasing the zoom out limit to 155 (or is that just the scale indicator, it looks like it's really 310 miles). Now I can almost see my whole state, and I could if I pan one time. I still think it'd be neat if you could have a link to a state sized version of this map on the 'state' page (but then again, I don't want to lose the simpler old maps, I hope they're not going to be removed).

Even if you don't add a state map - these new size limits will be very useful to us in more rural states. Keep up the good work icon_smile.gif

I have one question - is it possible to darken state boundaries any? They're a bit difficult to detect. I'd recommend darker lines or a different color to add contrast. I'm not sure if that's possible.

southdeltan

Kudos to Jeremy and the GC.com Gang!!!!!!!! My hat's off to you folks on the maps! You have really done a great job with the maps since you brought them back up. You've done excellent at trying to address everyone's feedback! Keep up the good work dudes!!!

Many poeple, including myself, have requested the ability to hide your finds in the map display.

Jeremy has said they can't do that. It appears they have done the next best thing and let you filter the cache list that results from using the map's "Identify" funtion.

What I mean is that the check boxes to the right of the map control the map display. The checkboxes below the map only affect the identify list.

One problem that I have in a cache rich area is I have done hundreds of caches within ten miles of my house. When I Identify a cache within this area and filter my finds I only get one cache listed. The other 19 closest caches are filtered.

I wonder if we could display 20 post filtered caches instead of 20 pre-filtered caches?

Mark

I have an idea.

The checkbox for found caches currently changes the icon to one with a checkmark over it.

What if instead it changed the icon to a tranparent color? It would still be there on the map you just couldn't see it.

Then instead of seeing our caching history we could find the areas to target for a fun day of caching.

Mark

Another suggestion similar to MarcuesArelius': Often I like to uncheck everything except New and TravelBug. It would be nice if Identify would recognize these and display the list of caches associated with them.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by TerraTrekkers:

This is not a gripe but rather my thoughts on the new map. I think the more you know about how people use the maps the better you’ll be able to design a map feature that meets people’s needs.

For my trip planning it is not very useful. Starting zoomed in on a particular cache and only zooming out to thirty miles, makes planning trips to other areas difficult. If I want detailed maps of a particular cache I’ll use my mapping software. Starting with a map of the whole state allows me to pick an area of interest, zoom to it and then identify individual caches. Also the old map was not as cluttered up with icons.

I have found the old maps by doing a new search on a particular state and then clicking the (map) link at the top of the page. Please don't change that feature.

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb

Our sentiments exactly! Couldn't have said it any better!

Team CountryStylin

Rob & Deb

quote:
Originally posted by Team CountryStylin:

quote:
Originally posted by TerraTrekkers:

Starting zoomed in on a particular cache and only zooming out to thirty miles, makes planning trips to other areas difficult. TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb

Our sentiments exactly! Couldn't have said it any better!

Team CountryStylin

Rob & Deb

Except that's has now been fixed (enhanced?) You can zoom far out (155? mile scale) with one click.

And as mentioned above, it's very nice to be able to get a map of where the travel bugs are, or where the new caches are.

The "only" thing missing is the ability to remove your finds from the display. (Yes, I know Jeremy has said this isn't possible. But I'm betting he'll have a flash of insight for a solution if he keeps thinking about this.)

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Well I see the new maps are finally here. I wonder this is as good as it gets.

Without the street names, they are perhaps a curiousity, but not much more help than the mapquest maps for finding a cache.

The most use I can see is viewing approximate positions from other caches I've found or plan to hunt.

I hope they get more detail in the future.

CN why do I think that if the new maps crapped gold out your cd drive. you would want planinum.

Are you never happy??

I think the new maps look great!

I can use my AAA maps to get the street names.

At least now it's not just a continent with a cluster of dots!

Some people would whine if you tried

to hang 'em with a brand new rope!

How exactly do you get the red boxes to show up? I decided to try the premium membership out for a month - and I can't seem to figure out the boxes. I've clicked the option on/off, I've logged out/in of the website, I've zoomed in/out, I've clicked identify - no luck with anything.

What am I missing?

southdeltan

mystats.php?userid=southdeltan&vopt=link&txtdata=MS%20Geocachers%20Association&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000