Cache "hidden status" compromised by seasonal change

knowltonGeo

I have a cache that I placed in a tree.

The cache is covered by camouflage fabric. When the leaves are on the branches, it is difficult to see from more than 3 feet away.

The tree has lost it's leaves, and now the camouflage does no good.

I wonder what to do about it. I guess the obvious path is to disable the cache until spring (until the tree gets its leaves back) and then just keep it at my house until then.

There is no where close by to put the cache that won't require me to significantly change the coords.

Any thoughts?

I agree with StarBrand. Disabling it is not the way to go. Change the camo, or live with it during the winter. Lots of caches are covered in snow during the winter but the CO's rarely disable them. He is something else to consider, unless you remove the cache folks will still find and log the cache.

another thing to consider -

a geocache that has been in "disabled" condition for two or three months will often get the attention of a reviewer - typically with a friendly warning that begins with "I notice that your geocache has been under the weather for some time now"

if no action is taken after that, it may well get archived

This is why evergreens tend to make more convenient tree hides. If you want year-round camo in a deciduous tree, maybe go with a fake branch. Or, hide it further up.

Or, perhaps, concede that the cache might be easier to find at different times of year. I found a tree cache recently in which the CO explicitly noted that the cache would be harder to find in summer than at other times. (Of course, it was also a micro in an apple tree about 15 feet off the ground, so it wasn't terribly obvious to begin with ...)

I know of at least one geocache that works like this -

it is a two-stage multi

the first stage is a film canister with coordinates in it

the second stage is an ammo can

the owners adjust it in the spring and fall

when there is snow on the ground, the ammo can is a short walk away

in the summer months, the ammo can is a nice hike up a trail

the coordinates in the film canister are changed when the ammo can is moved

Ditto what everyone else has said. There is a cache near me that during the summertime the CO uses a green container and then in the winer he uses an orange container. It states that it is harder to find in the summer, but a little easier to find in the winter. That is unless it has snowed. These are all good suggestions I'll have to keep in mind for when I hide one in a tree. I right now have a two stage multi-cache and I used the first stage in a pine tree just because the needles are almost always green. Plus the item I used just looks more natural in a pine tree. Hope this helps you.

a geocache that has been in "disabled" condition for two or three months will often get the attention of a reviewer - typically with a friendly warning that begins with "I notice that your geocache has been under the weather for some time now"

True, but the only action that needs to be taken is a status update on the page. If the cache owner says it's offline until the leaves grow back that would be good enough to keep the reviewer from archiving it.

The fake branches I've come across have been hollowed out and attached to the tree, and just have a bison tube inside. Don't know what size you're using now, but if your cache is already a micro, I wouldn't see a need to change it if you go that route.

Another tried and true year round camo: the fake birdhouse. (Best to put a black board inside the front so birds don't actually nest in it.)

I have a cache that I placed in a tree.

The cache is covered by camouflage fabric. When the leaves are on the branches, it is difficult to see from more than 3 feet away.

The tree has lost it's leaves, and now the camouflage does no good.

I wonder what to do about it. I guess the obvious path is to disable the cache until spring (until the tree gets its leaves back) and then just keep it at my house until then.

There is no where close by to put the cache that won't require me to significantly change the coords.

Any thoughts?

next time try an evergreen. you can only diable a cache for a limited amout of time. You might be able to change the container to something smaller or you could just forget about changing anything.

True, but the only action that needs to be taken is a status update on the page. If the cache owner says it's offline until the leaves grow back that would be good enough to keep the reviewer from archiving it.

That's been my experience as well. There was a cache about a half mile from me that was located along a stone trail in one of our many gorges. The trail follows a creek with several waterfalls over 50 feet high and includes a couple of stone bridges which cross the creek. The trail is closed to the public (with signs at each end) every winter and reopens (usually) each spring. Due to the nature of the stone in the gorge large pieces of rock fall onto the trail from the cliffside due to snow and ice build up so there's always a week or so of trail maintenance done each spring before the trail is opened. The cache was disabled every winter when the trail closes and enabled again every spring. The cache was placed in June 2001 and was sadly archived about a year ago. Why? Here are the last two logs, posted by the CO:

"The lower part of this gorge trail reopened this fall and work continues on the upper section (that includes the cache area) with a projected opening of fall 2011: "Unforeseen obstacles on the upper trail include a newly formed waterfall under Stewart Avenue that has caused extensive water and ice damage. The University remains confident, nonetheless, that it will finish the project by its original target of next fall."

And the final Archive log:

"It is with great reluctance that I am archiving this cache. This portion of the Cascadilla Gorge trail is still closed for repairs (and clearly marked as such). Because several cachers have pursued the cache even under these conditions, I am archiving it to keep temptation away. There have already been several gorge deaths in Ithaca this year from those hiking and swimming in unauthorized areas, and trespassing in these conditions is not something to take lightly.

I'm hopeful that the trail will be reopened and that we may get permission to unarchive this historical cache at that time."

The local reviewer has bent over backwards to keep that cache active for 10 years, but would never had done so if the cache owner (it's been adopted a couple of times) was not vigilant about keeping the reviewer up to date regarding the status of the cache area.