Cache Crisis

the3wilsons

I got a magnetic nano cache for my birthday and was determined to do something a bit different. I have got the whole story and cache name and placement all worked out. The plan was to make it a challenge and keep the cache in place until the tiny log book was filled (36 logs) and then move it on 6 times which fits in with story. Is this idea not likely to get passed as a legitimate cache. If not I'm gutted. <_<

I got a magnetic nano cache for my birthday and was determined to do something a bit different. I have got the whole story and cache name and placement all worked out. The plan was to make it a challenge and keep the cache in place until the tiny log book was filled (36 logs) and then move it on 6 times which fits in with story. Is this idea not likely to get passed as a legitimate cache. If not I'm gutted. <_<

You're describing a traveling cache which aren't allowed any more.

A cache placement is expected to be permanent and, for listing on Geocaching.com, "permanent" means at least 3 months, see Guideline: Here.

As for moving it 6 times... I don't know how far you were thinking of moving it but if it's less than 528ft you can make that move/co-ordinate change yourself using a log, but any distance further than that would have to be done by a reviewer. Usually, the advice on moving a cache location is that if you are creating a new caching experience for the searchers then it's better to do a brand new cache listing.

MrsB :)

All said above is true. But as long as you don't move it more than 528 feet from the original location you could probably get away with it. Moves above 528 feet have to be done by a reviewer. Multiple less than 528 moves that end up more than that from the original location could raise a flat.

I am not advocating that just exploring possibilities.

If you need to make special arrangements for a novel idea, contact Groundspeak before placing and reporting the geocache on Geocaching.com.

One needs to remember the guidelines are only guidelines. In order to be as fair as possible, the cache reviewers will not approve a cache that appears to violate the guidelines, but that doesn't mean the cache cannot be published. You can go directly to Groundspeak if you have a novel idea and try to convince them why your cache should be published. Be sure to have a clear understanding of the rationale behind the guidelines so you can explain why your cache should get an exemption.

So far, the OP has not presented a compelling reason to move the cache each time the log is full. It sounds more like they have an idea for a series of caches, but have only one nano to hide. Either buy five more nanos and hide a series or place the cache and allow it to stay in place for at least 3 months (replacing the log if it gets full). After 3 months you can archive the cache and reuse the same container with a new log in the new location. Create a new cache page that continues the story of the cache container.

You're describing a traveling cache which aren't allowed any more.

A cache placement is expected to be permanent and, for listing on Geocaching.com, "permanent" means at least 3 months, see Guideline: Here.

As for moving it 6 times... I don't know how far you were thinking of moving it but if it's less than 528ft you can make that move/co-ordinate change yourself using a log, but any distance further than that would have to be done by a reviewer. Usually, the advice on moving a cache location is that if you are creating a new caching experience for the searchers then it's better to do a brand new cache listing.

MrsB :)

Is there any way you can adapt your story so that it works with a travel bug? Attach a small container and logbook to the TB tag and send it traveling to the desired six locations. Finding the travel bug, and a clue contained within the container, could be the secret for also finding a stationary Mystery Cache.

Edited by Keystone

Is there any way you can adapt your story so that it works with a travel bug? Attach a small container and logbook to the TB tag and send it traveling to the desired six locations. Finding the travel bug, and a clue contained within the container, could be the secret for also finding a stationary Mystery Cache.