DECLINED - [FEATURE] Beacon Icon

Pawn-of-Chaos

I'll save you having to wait for a reply from Groundspeak...

The answer is going to be 'NO!' :)

A definite NO!

It's different to Wherigo because Wherigo can be played on equipment from more than one manufacturer. Chirps are a Garmin only creation

Mark

To me that seems like even more reason for the Beacon (chirp) to have it's own icon since you have to have a specific piece of equipment. --Dulce-Joy

Give Beacon (chirp) caches their own icon rather than just an attribute for a puzzle cache. Like a Wherigo, a Beacon cache requires a special type of GPS in order to play the game.

Beacon does not mean only Chirp. There are many other types of beacons needing even more specialized equipment. The capability to find a Chirp is quite common.

Eventually the gc app will include chirp functions as it is on the ant+ open source network.

Really? I'm not aware of any smartphones that can communicate with ANT devices. Please enlighten me.

Here you go: GeoBeacon: Garmin Chirp – on an iPhone (or iPad)

Garmin also just released an ANT+ adapter.

I use The Digifit key with my Garmin ANT+ Heart rate monitor and Runkeeper all the time, and it works *very* well. The Digifit adapter can be found for $50-$80 depending where you look. A one hour run, with GPS enabled, music playing, screen off and ANT+ running costs me about 10% battery hit on the iPhone.

I was ecstatic when the ANDROID app for Wherigo was released.

Sadly, this beacon BS relies on technology specific to a particular hardware manufacturer.

I have no intention of buying a new GPSr specifically to be able to find these caches.

Chirp for Android is dependent more on ANT+ hardware for Android than anything Garmin does. I don't own a Chirp compatible Garmin GPS unit.

I do, however own an iPhone and can use Chirp on that device ... which happened months after Garmin introduced it - and Garmin didn't launch that feature.

I have no intention of booking a helicopter to visit Ontario's oldest unfound cache. That doesn't mean I campaign to have the cache destroyed, it just means there are different caches for different people.