Anyone on Skye?

beetlebug54

I laid a cache on the Isle of Skye a few days ago, but need a local cacher to act as a proxy owner in order for it to be enabled... I visit every month so anticipate minimal contact will be needed from anyone kind enough to agree to help me out, but the rules say it can't be enabled unless someone on the island agrees to accept responsibility for it. If you can help me, please reply and we can discuss more off forum :D The co-ordinates are N 57° 25.797 W 006° 46.831.

Cheers

Becka/beetlebug54

Typically you are not allowed to place a cache out with where you live as it won't be practical to maintain it properly - the vacation cache problem of someone placing a cache on holiday then having nothing more to do with it (as logs full, maintenance is needed and so on).

If you are regularly travelling to the area I would have assumed it should be okay for you to place and own - get in touch with the local reviewer, explain the situation and see if he will grant you the permission. I know there are many, many caches placed in location people regularly travel to for work or to visit family and so on.

Did you explain to the reviewer that you are in the area monthly? That seems like it should be sufficient to be able to maintain your cache.

I agree. If you are there once a month, there shouldn't be a problem. I have caches that are 20 miles away that would take me longer than a month to attend to.

Did you explain to the reviewer that you are in the area monthly? That seems like it should be sufficient to be able to maintain your cache.

Yes I did but they are requesting that I still find a local cacher to own it for me. I was hoping it would be sufficient too as I wouldn't lay a cache somewhere I wasn't able to get back to it to maintain it.

Typically you are not allowed to place a cache out with where you live as it won't be practical to maintain it properly - the vacation cache problem of someone placing a cache on holiday then having nothing more to do with it (as logs full, maintenance is needed and so on).

If you are regularly travelling to the area I would have assumed it should be okay for you to place and own - get in touch with the local reviewer, explain the situation and see if he will grant you the permission. I know there are many, many caches placed in location people regularly travel to for work or to visit family and so on.

Yeah I did that, but they are still requesting that I find a local cacher to help maintain it. It's well stocked in terms of a log book for over 100 sigs to begin with and is safe and dry.

I agree. If you are there once a month, there shouldn't be a problem. I have caches that are 20 miles away that would take me longer than a month to attend to.

That's what I thought but it's not allowed annoyingly. Am frustrated as it has a travel bug in it and was a well thought out cache. I'd never leave one somewhere I couldn't get back to.

Yeah I did that, but they are still requesting that I find a local cacher to help maintain it. It's well stocked in terms of a log book for over 100 sigs to begin with and is safe and dry.

That's absolutely ridiculous! Anyone who can guarantee to be able to visit their cache within a month is well able to meet the maintenance rule.

Anyway, a positive suggestion, have you tried posting your request on the UK Forum? I have no doubt you will get a better response there.

Good luck with your cache :)

That's absolutely ridiculous! Anyone who can guarantee to be able to visit their cache within a month is well able to meet the maintenance rule.

Anyway, a positive suggestion, have you tried posting your request on the UK Forum? I have no doubt you will get a better response there.

Good luck with your cache :)

It's frustrating! Thanks so much for pointing out to me there is a UK specific forum, have x-posted on there now too :) fingers crossed :yikes:

I'd also encourage you to seek a second opinion from Groundspeak by writing an email to appeals @geocaching.com. If you appeal, include as much detail as possible about your monthly visits to the area. It would help, for example, to point to a record of geocache finds in the area. I assume you do not have a friend or relative living in the area, which is another common way to satisfy the "Cache Maintenance" section of the Listing Guidelines.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!! A lovely friendly Skye cacher has agreed to look after it when I am not there so hopefully it can be enabled now. I didn't really want to get into an appeals process so am glad someone has offered to help out. Thanks so much for the replies and support :) glad I wasn't the only one to be a bit :angry: !!

Happy Beetlebug54 :D