62st Deleting/Removing Caches

*bandit*

Thanks for the information. I was looking in the wrong spot. Your right Cachaholic. My apologies. I found a post from over 2 weeks ago tucked inside another thread. t4e, the reason I want to wipe these out is because I let my membership run out by accident so when I downloaded a bunch of caches I did not get all the info on them. For that reason I want to just wipe the thing out and start fresh. I never really know where I may end up caching so I like to keep a few in the bank. Take Care

Thanks for the information. I was looking in the wrong spot. Your right Cachaholic. My apologies. I found a post from over 2 weeks ago tucked inside another thread. t4e, the reason I want to wipe these out is because I let my membership run out by accident so when I downloaded a bunch of caches I did not get all the info on them. For that reason I want to just wipe the thing out and start fresh. I never really know where I may end up caching so I like to keep a few in the bank. Take Care

looks like you are a Premium Member, loading a new PQ will wipe out the caches you had on the unit previously

I got the message "maximum number of caches exceeded" on my Garmin 450 and followed the information on deleting caches, l.e., I went to the Garmin/GPX folder (with the Garmin connected to my Mac) but only a fraction of the caches that I want to deleted show up in the list. I don't know why only some of the caches show up, but I cannot delete the caches that are not in the GPX file, can I? Any help would be appreciated.

I got the message "maximum number of caches exceeded" on my Garmin 450 and followed the information on deleting caches, l.e., I went to the Garmin/GPX folder (with the Garmin connected to my Mac) but only a fraction of the caches that I want to deleted show up in the list. I don't know why only some of the caches show up, but I cannot delete the caches that are not in the GPX file, can I? Any help would be appreciated.

If you have deleted all of the *.gpx files in the GPX folder, then be sure to empty your trash via the Mac. The boys in Cupertino thought it would be fun for each connected USB storage device to have its own (invisible) trash can rather than keeping them on the PC itself. After that, you will need to reboot. You shouldn't be having any issues with cache count then. Should come up with none listed for finding a cache or looking at any found caches.

Thank you for your reply but I am still confused:

1) In the .GPX file in the GPX folder, I cannot easily distinguish between caches I want to keep and caches that I wish to delete. Only the GC codes show up and it is very tedious to look them up to see if they are caches I have found or not. I realize that I could delete them all and start over if that is really necessary, but

2) In the GPX folder, only some of the caches loaded on the Garmin show up. It seems that even if I eliminated all the caches in the folder, I would still have many remaining on the Garmin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your reply but I am still confused:

1) In the .GPX file in the GPX folder, I cannot easily distinguish between caches I want to keep and caches that I wish to delete. Only the GC codes show up and it is very tedious to look them up to see if they are caches I have found or not. I realize that I could delete them all and start over if that is really necessary, but

2) In the GPX folder, only some of the caches loaded on the Garmin show up. It seems that even if I eliminated all the caches in the folder, I would still have many remaining on the Garmin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iif you are also using an sd card with your unit, it is possible that some of the gpx files were transferred to a garmin/gpx folder there. And if you have been using pocket queries, a single gpx file will contain information for more than one cache. So have others have suggested, I would delete everything you see, empty the trash can, and start over.

If your gpsr shows caches that have been deleted, the Oregon Wiki, linked above recommends that you make sure you make sure the firmware is updated and empty the trash can on the mac. So it is likely that some of the "missing" gpx files on the unit are actually in the trash can.

If you have not been using pocket queries you should definitely do so. A query allows you transfer information for multiple caches. Found caches can be excluded from the search, so you do not have to worry about which caches you have found and which are still to be sought. It is easier to delete, update, or transfer a single file containing up to 1000 caches than it is to deal with dozens of individual cache files.

Your unit also keeps track of caches that you found through field notes, so that you can upload the list to the site and log them from there. You do not have to retain the found caches on the unit.

Edited by geodarts