EU launches first two Galileo sats

hzoi

Russian Rocket With First Galileo Satellites Launches From French Guiana

KOUROU, French Guiana – A Soyuz rocket lifted off on its maiden flight Friday, carrying the first two satellites in the Galileo geopositioning system from a European space base in French Guiana.

The launch -- the first by the veteran rocket beyond Russia's historic bases at Plesetsk and Baikonur -- is part of a commercial deal struck in 2003 to extend the range of Arianespace, which markets services from the European Space Agency (ESA) base in Kourou, French Guiana.

The €5.4 billion ($7.4 billion) Galileo project is designed to comprise 27 operational satellites and three spares by its completion in 2020.

It should give geopositioning accuracy to within a meter (3.25 feet), whereas the US Global Positioning System is currently accurate to between three and eight meters (10 and 26 feet), according to official websites.

After a nine-minute flight through Earth's atmosphere, the Soyuz's final stage, the Fregat, was to propel the satellites on a three-hour flight toward their orbital slot.

===========================

Between the EU building the Galileo constellation and the Russian GLONASS constellation recently filling in its last hole, hopefully we can look to a considerable boost in accuracy over the next couple years. (With upgraded GPSr hardware, of course...)

Since it won't even be turned on in its most basic form until 2014 there isn't much to consider now. Also need to remember one of the basic rules of measurement. No set of measurements is any more accurate than the least accurate instrument. So it will do a user of the system no good for caches placed w/o it. Besides when I get within 20 feet I stop looking at the GPS anyhow.

Wow. That will be awesome for the people out there who actually need a machine to do all of the hard searching work for them.

Yeah, thanks for adding to the discussion.

Meanwhile, at the adult table...

Out in the open, I get pretty good accuracy now. I think this would help in wooded areas and mountains; there have been plenty of times lately where I've been in the woods with just rolling hills, and the accuracy has been at 50 feet or worse.

I wonder if it would help or hurt with urban signal bounce.

Just because the new system has greater accuracy doesn't mean that geocachers are required to use it. This topic has been discussed before, and one suggestion that I like is for GC.com to limit the accuracy of the coordinates that they publish. That will keep the "sport" in the sport of geocaching.

Just because the new system has greater accuracy doesn't mean that geocachers are required to use it. This topic has been discussed before, and one suggestion that I like is for GC.com to limit the accuracy of the coordinates that they publish.

In a way, they already do that. Rounding errors in the coordinates can amount to 1.3 meters. Not a lot in today's world, but if Galileo's accuracy turns out to be better than that, then things would look differently.