Maintenance

That is the answer!

My question is if you go and do maintenance on one of your caches do you post a owner maintenance if there was not a maintenance needed request before it? I have done that a few times just to log that I went and checked on it and fixed it up. Should I just log a note or not even mention it? I am thinking I might not want a lot of owner maintenance attributes on the listing or is that a good thing?

-WarNinjas

My question is if you go and do maintenance on one of your caches do you post a owner maintenance if there was not a maintenance needed request before it? ... I am thinking I might not want a lot of owner maintenance attributes on the listing or is that a good thing?

Logging an Owner Maintenance log does not set an attribute, it only clears the Needs Maintenance attribute, if there is one.

Anytime you perform maintenance, you should always log an Owner Maintenance log, if for nothing else it sets your log apart from the rest. When reading the logs, I may not be aware of who the Cache Owner is, but when I see an Owner Maintenance log, it's obvious that it's from the Cache Owner.

That is the answer!

My question is if you go and do maintenance on one of your caches do you post a owner maintenance if there was not a maintenance needed request before it? I have done that a few times just to log that I went and checked on it and fixed it up. Should I just log a note or not even mention it? I am thinking I might not want a lot of owner maintenance attributes on the listing or is that a good thing?

-WarNinjas

For me, personally, if I am just stopping by to check on it, I'll either post nothing or post a quick note. I would log an owner maintenance if I put a new logbook or replaced the container, stuff like that.

If it's been a while since anyone visited the cache, an owner maintenance log indicating that the cache is still there and in good shape would be a good sign to people thinking about going after the cache.

As far as removing the needs maintenance attribute, I've heard that you can do it by editing the cache's attributes as well, though the log is a better option if you actually did fix/replace something.

You can/should post an 'Owner Maintenance' log every time you visit one of your caches...just checking to make sure everything is OK IS maintenance.

If there was a 'Needs Maintenance' attribute on the cache, it will be cleared. If there wasn't you will appear to be a really pro-active CO!

If you had already posted a note, or some other type of log (like 'enable' if the cache was disabled), you could edit the attributes to remove 'Needs Maintenance' without posting another log.

You can/should post an 'Owner Maintenance' log every time you visit one of your caches...just checking to make sure everything is OK IS maintenance.

If there was a 'Needs Maintenance' attribute on the cache, it will be cleared. If there wasn't you will appear to be a really pro-active CO!

It also shows that the CO is involved with their caches and not just a place and forget. I like to see owner maintenance logs for that reason. :)