I think I know who has taken my TB

Adam Amy

I recently took a travel bug (which I had been given as a present from my wife) to a distant cache in order to release it into the wild in keeping with it's goal. After a few visits to the said cache and no activity I became suspicious so started contacting 'Found it' loggers and tracked it down to the very first person who found it after us. A newby with only 2 finds to their name. I would like to think they took it not knowing what it was, however they have not replied to my emails, and I'm begining to think (If they haven't just blatently stole it) they may have entered an incorrect email address. Is there any way to have Geocaching.com contact them by way of flagging their account (or freezing it) as I would like to think that GC.com wouldn't want TB stealers on their site. I know there will be a few "just let it go" responses to this thread, but as I think I've pretty much found the culprit, I thought there may still be a chance.

I know there will be a few "just let it go" responses to this thread

Just let it go. :anicute:

Now that that's out of the way, here's a plan. You can edit the trackable's web page, something like I did on my TB that vanished from my cache before ever being logged:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3317718

I did three things. I edited the TB's name with the "[MISSING]" designation. I placed some info about it being missing and selected red headline text for it. And (a little overboard, you may omit this part) I changed the photo, so now it has a big red "MISSING" text across it, and changed the name of the photo to text saying it's missing. Maybe you notice my plan has a theme. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now when anyone looks at any TB list with my TB in it, or the TB page itself, they see it's missing. More people than you may realize. Unless you change the TB's page, that issue may not be apparent. If you write to someone, they may not get the email (for all sorts of reasons), or you may not get their reply (for all sorts of reasons plus an additional reason -- them replying to "noreply", and not realizing that).

I'm in the same boat you are. Someone visited my cache, signed the physical log, and my TB vanished then (or within a couple of days). I can pretty much finger who took it. But I can't tell if he then maybe placed it into another cache and also didn't log that one, and neither can you. It may yet turn up. Don't let it go just yet (I was just kidding).

I should also mention that you can't always be certain who steals something. The first TB I ever moved disappeared immediately from the cache I put it in (everything else was fine), and I also verified it vanished. It was never seen again. I'm the only one who logged it. So I must be the prime suspect.

Edited by kunarion

Before you do the "let it go" thing...

Have a look at the Newbie's first find log and see whether they went to that cache with another caching name. If they were introduced to geocaching by someone else it's sometimes possible to make contact via that third party.

(In light of another topic on these boards, if you do try the above contact be very, very careful - You wouldn't want anyone to think you were a stalker ;) )

MrsB

First "rule" of trackables -- Never release anything into the wild that you cannot bear to lose.

...they have not replied to my emails

How many emails? Ya know, it sometimes gets to a point of harassment if those emails are the least bit accusatory or otherwise worded "less than extremely nice"... even then, depending upon the receiving person's point-of-view, three emails over a years' time could be too many.

There is no better way to get someone to throw your TB into the nearest trash bin than to conduct an email stalking campaign.

We have a few missing TB's, two of which we KNOW who holds them, one of them, we even know what house the holder lives in (700 miles away). Each has been emailed twice in one year. No response, then we simply dropped the matter. Doing much of anything more about the matter simply isn't worth it.

Why they kept them is anyone's guess, the reason for it could be one of 1,000's (legitimate or not). Remember, you are the person that put it out there for anyone that found it to pick it up. Ya takes your chances when you do that.

Is there any way to have Geocaching.com contact them by way of flagging their account (or freezing it)...

Highly unlikely. At least we haven't heard of this yet -- not for holding a single TB. There may have been action against a few individuals that had A LOT of travelers (includes geocoins) in their possession. But not for just one. It could be chalked up to a nØØb mistake, simply forgotten about, or inadvertently lost (and they are too embarrassed to come forward about it). Again, any one of a very large number of reasons. Most all completely innocent.

I know there will be a few "just let it go" responses to this thread...

You are absolutely correct in this statement. This is because experience has shown it is the BEST option to take. You have emailed them (at least twice), there is little more you can do. To continually "go after" them could ultimately get sanctions placed upon you or your account (a reversal of that which you proposed).

There is some hope yet. TB's have reappeared after as long as seven years (that we have heard of), so... it does happen.

We wish you the best of luck for having your TB come back to life, but suggest that you just "let it go".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'm dealing with a similar issue on a travel gem, Diamond In The Rough. The only difference is, I know exactly who has it (As far as their geocaching name)vshopandnightbandits. It appears they also have a few other travel bugs in their possession as well that they haven't moved for a while. They've actually moved on a couple of other travel bugs before, so they know the process. Their just choosing not to follow through.

I get kind of worried after four months, but try to always understand that circumstances sometimes intervene and take someone out of caching for a while. In the instance of my travel gem, the individual(s) who picked it up were caching on a regular basis afterwards. In my opinion there's no excuse for them to keep my trackable, or the others they picked up, for such an extended time.

People can call a couple of emails stalking if they want, but when someone steals something from you, that just isn't right. It would be nice to see this particular issue over all, not my specific issue, addressed legally at some point...providing one could show who took it. I mean after all, if I were able to walk into the Groundspeak store, then take a couple of travel bugs, gems, etc... I don't think they would take to kindly to it. I most certainly don't think they would "let it go." They would call it theft, and prosecute me to the full measure of the law.

People can call a couple of emails stalking if they want, but when someone steals something from you, that just isn't right. It would be nice to see this particular issue over all, not my specific issue, addressed legally at some point...providing one could show who took it.

Inscribe your name, address, and phone number on a silver dollar and include "this is my property, don't steal it". Hand it to a stranger, and tell him to be sure to give it away (and be sure he understands this plan). Now imagine he pockets it and keeps it. You know who took it. So now you can take legal action. What exactly will you do, and what will the outcome be?

Now suppose that silver dollar has been pawned, passed to others, forgotten, and now someone finds it and sees your info on it, and contacts you so you get it back. This is in many cases how "stolen" Geocoins work. It eventually falls in the hands of an honest person who's willing to do the extra work for you, when he doesn't even have to.

But once you started this by giving it away, you have no legal recourse. Keep it in a safe.

Edited by kunarion

After a few visits to the said cache and no activity I became suspicious so started contacting 'Found it' loggers and tracked it down to the very first person who found it after us. A newby with only 2 finds to their name.

how do you know it was them or you're just assuming that because they are newbies?

Once again the best solution is found in my signature.

A typo? :P

What's the matter? Don't you like drinds? :huh:

If they're too hard for you just soak them in milk overnight.

MrsB :P

Never thought of it as a typo, myself. I just thought it was a result of two too many drinds. :lol:

EDIT: to fix MY typo!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

After a few visits to the said cache and no activity I became suspicious so started contacting 'Found it' loggers and tracked it down to the very first person who found it after us. A newby with only 2 finds to their name.

how do you know it was them or you're just assuming that because they are newbies?

Only because everyone who has found the cache (still in perfect working order) after them have replied to me and have said it wasn't there when they found the cache. The person directly after the Noobs, being a premium member with many finds to their name. Obviously it might not be them, but they haven't cached since, and won't reply to my emails.

I know there will be a few "just let it go" responses to this thread

Just let it go. :anicute:

Now that that's out of the way, here's a plan. You can edit the trackable's web page, something like I did on my TB that vanished from my cache before ever being logged:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3317718

I did three things. I edited the TB's name with the "[MISSING]" designation. I placed some info about it being missing and selected red headline text for it. And (a little overboard, you may omit this part) I changed the photo, so now it has a big red "MISSING" text across it, and changed the name of the photo to text saying it's missing. Maybe you notice my plan has a theme. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now when anyone looks at any TB list with my TB in it, or the TB page itself, they see it's missing. More people than you may realize. Unless you change the TB's page, that issue may not be apparent. If you write to someone, they may not get the email (for all sorts of reasons), or you may not get their reply (for all sorts of reasons plus an additional reason -- them replying to "noreply", and not realizing that).

I'm in the same boat you are. Someone visited my cache, signed the physical log, and my TB vanished then (or within a couple of days). I can pretty much finger who took it. But I can't tell if he then maybe placed it into another cache and also didn't log that one, and neither can you. It may yet turn up. Don't let it go just yet (I was just kidding).

I should also mention that you can't always be certain who steals something. The first TB I ever moved disappeared immediately from the cache I put it in (everything else was fine), and I also verified it vanished. It was never seen again. I'm the only one who logged it. So I must be the prime suspect.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. Some great ideas have been discussed, many of which I will try before "letting it go" :laughing:

I try two emails after about three months of no moving... Extremely nice emails and I don't accuse anyone of having my TBs. I just say, I'm trying to track down my TB and wondering if you mightve picked it up? I repeat it a few weeks later in case they didn't read the first email, or just forgot. I get tons of emails and that's usually what happens to me...

Then I drink two margaritas (Cabo Wabo Tequila) and eat a nice med/rare steak...... ;)

FloridaFour~ who's currently feeling guilty because I think I lost a geocoin I picked up a few weeks ago..... (Don't worry, have already emailed owner)

I try two emails after about three months of no moving... Extremely nice emails and I don't accuse anyone of having my TBs. I just say, I'm trying to track down my TB and wondering if you mightve picked it up? I repeat it a few weeks later in case they didn't read the first email, or just forgot. ...<snip>

Extremely good advice. Most concerns can be addressed with a friendly email offering assistance. Many new cachers simply don't understand what they are supposed to do with a traveler or how to log to properly. You'll get more mileage (pun intended) when the cacher knows you aren't going to criticize them for misunderstanding. Teach one person how to move a bug then let them know that now they can teach others.

I had a newbie cacher log one of mine 3 times and also picked up my newly released tb...Looking at their profile they had 17 finds in one week back in july 2011 and haven't logged any more finds or visited the website since then. I sent 2 e-mails with no replies. I'm afraid my tb is awol with no mileage at all. I deleted the extra loggs yesterday hoping to get some sort of reply from the cacher...I seriously doubt if I do..It does bugg me that this tb was located in a premium member cache and some one had to give them the cords for it as it is hidden well off the road on private property. I sent out e-mails to the other finders hoping if one of them gave out the cords maybe they would get in contact with their friend..no good there either...I'm still going to wait awhile before marking this tb as missing.....http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2990193

I had a member pick up my TB and 8 others and still holds them. I emailed him and he responded saying he has been to busy to drop them off, even after he continued to log caches for 6 more months. He won't respond to emails now. I emailed the powers that be here and never received any reply at all. Not even a thank you very much, but there is nothing we can do. I will not be paying $30 to renew my membership.

Edited by Len & Cheri

I generally check on my trackables once a month. If there have been finders to the cache since it was dropped off, I ask if they remember seeing my trackable and provide a link to the trackable's page. Some respond, others don't. Sometimes, my emails prompt the holder to log it out of the cache or if they are already holding it, drop it off somewhere. More often, nice folks say they didn't see it and hope that it turns up, but it doesn't.

Keep in mind that there are cachers that don't log their finds online. Whenever I replace a log in one of my caches and compare it to the online log, there are always names on the signed log that don't appear online. I have found that just because there is only one online find log after you dropped it doesn't mean that the next cacher stole your trackable. It may have been taken by a muggle, a cacher that didn't log their find online, or more than likely, space aliens.

I am not patient enough to wait years and hope the item surfaces... six months is about enough for me if all my attempts to track it down have failed. Generally I produce a custom trackable replacement tag and do a "grab" on the item and start it moving again. To date, not one that I have replaced has resurfaced.

So... just because the original trackable disappeared doesn't mean you can't send out a proxy in its place. I always photograph the item before I send it out so I can include the photo of the original with the proxy. If you are interested in the custom trackables that I make, send me an email or visit my profile and follow the link to visit my Homepage.

Hope your trackable turns up...

I generally check on my trackables once a month. If there have been finders to the cache since it was dropped off, I ask if they remember seeing my trackable and provide a link to the trackable's page. Some respond, others don't. Sometimes, my emails prompt the holder to log it out of the cache or if they are already holding it, drop it off somewhere. More often, nice folks say they didn't see it and hope that it turns up, but it doesn't.

Keep in mind that there are cachers that don't log their finds online. Whenever I replace a log in one of my caches and compare it to the online log, there are always names on the signed log that don't appear online. I have found that just because there is only one online find log after you dropped it doesn't mean that the next cacher stole your trackable. It may have been taken by a muggle, a cacher that didn't log their find online, or more than likely, space aliens.

I am not patient enough to wait years and hope the item surfaces... six months is about enough for me if all my attempts to track it down have failed. Generally I produce a custom trackable replacement tag and do a "grab" on the item and start it moving again. To date, not one that I have replaced has resurfaced.

So... just because the original trackable disappeared doesn't mean you can't send out a proxy in its place. I always photograph the item before I send it out so I can include the photo of the original with the proxy. If you are interested in the custom trackables that I make, send me an email or visit my profile and follow the link to visit my Homepage.

Just an observation. It seems like you are too attentive of the movement of your travelers, which sets you up to think people aren't meeting your expectations. Which then leads to disappointment. Maybe that's because you are more into coins than travel bugs.

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as a proxy travel bug. Each bug, re-released or not, is the real thing.

Thanks Darick, I was thinking about sending out a proxy, but looking at your homepage has hardened my resolve. I can do it!.... I SHALL do it!!........No, I WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!