Signature Coins

BMndFul

Does the same love go for custom wooden nickels?

Some people collect the wooden nickels. And you can make a bunch using only a sharpie and blanks, real inexpensively, if you like. Those are often very cool, too. I sure don't find them around here much. I've seen a few turn black when soaking wet at the bottom of a container, but maybe part of the deal is to find and rescue them before they're in too bad a condition. Snooze ya lose...

Edited by kunarion

Some people collect the wooden nickels. And you can make a bunch using only a sharpie and blanks, real inexpensively, if you like. Those are often very cool, too. I sure don't find them around here much. I've seen a few turn black when soaking wet at the bottom of a container, but maybe part of the deal is to find and rescue them before they're in too bad a condition. Snooze ya lose...

I make wooden nickels with a ChartPak Blender marker, using the laser printer transfer method. Works great and is water proof (I had one survive the washing machine).

I make wooden nickels with a ChartPak Blender marker, using the laser printer transfer method. Works great and is water proof (I had one survive the washing machine).

Those would be pretty cool! One thing I try to have is variety. You can buy custom coins all the same, or you can make them by hand, in several styles. So people have a selection to choose, and more combinations to collect.

Those would be pretty cool! One thing I try to have is variety. You can buy custom coins all the same, or you can make them by hand, in several styles. So people have a selection to choose, and more combinations to collect.

Ya, I have made several different coins. Anything from a army tank, to a QR code, TinTin characters, our local cacheing group logo etc.... I do the artwork in MS Word, then print to my laser printer, then transfer using the ChartPak Blender marker (must be ChartPak, other brands do not work).

If you get blank wooden nickels, you could go and get a couple of custom made round rubber stamps that fit the nickel. Then stamp them to get a real good and repeatable design you could color in or leave as a line drawing. Once you have made the first couple of those rubber stamps it will become easier and at ten dollars for a stamp that aint bad. The ability to change designs without being stuck with a massive amount of one design cuts down on "siggy regret".

If you do this you can also reuse the rubber stamps for the cache logbooks that are larger than micro scrolls as well.

get a couple of custom made round rubber stamps that fit the nickel. Then stamp them to get a real good and repeatable design you could color in or leave as a line drawing. Once you have made the first couple of those rubber stamps it will become easier and at ten dollars for a stamp that aint bad. The ability to change designs without being stuck with a massive amount of one design cuts down on "siggy regret".

That sounds great! And you may even get lucky and find a whole set of outdoorsy stamps in a dollar store. Or whatever images appeal.

You can buy UV invisible ink stamp pads (and pens), too. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' B).

get a couple of custom made round rubber stamps that fit the nickel. Then stamp them to get a real good and repeatable design you could color in or leave as a line drawing. Once you have made the first couple of those rubber stamps it will become easier and at ten dollars for a stamp that aint bad. The ability to change designs without being stuck with a massive amount of one design cuts down on "siggy regret".

That sounds great! And you may even get lucky and find a whole set of outdoorsy stamps in a dollar store. Or whatever images appeal.

You can buy UV invisible ink stamp pads (and pens), too. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' B).

I have had a ton (figurative) of custom stamps made by www.stamp-connection.com they are awesome and make an acrylic stamp you can see through. The see through stamps make the placement easier. You send them links to line art images you found on the net. Tell the folks what you want written on it and they send you proofs before you pull the trigger on the order.

I use them all the time with my other hobby wheresgeorge.com and the georgers swear by these folks they do a good job

The turtle in my avatar is one of theirs.

Edited by Cliff's Notes
I have been on the fence about creating some cache signature coins. Are they cool swag people like to see, or do they just sit there and become more junk the CO needs to remove? What's your thoughts? What do you do if you find one in a cache?
The only things I trade for are personal signature items like this.

I have been on the fence about creating some cache signature coins. Are they cool swag people like to see, or do they just sit there and become more junk the CO needs to remove? What's your thoughts? What do you do if you find one in a cache?

99 times out of a hundred I don't swap for swag. I do drop my own siggy items in the caches I have all sorts of them to choose from. I have poker chips, dice (professionally engraved at .42 cents per), My current favorite is a laser engraved whistle. and a custom coinlike metal object mentioned in other posts.

The only thing I actively seek are the signature items of other cachers. Especially the really well done ones or the "coinlike metal object mentioned in other posts"

My next thing may be wooden nickels. If I do, I will do the rubber stamp idea I mentioned above and do it in conjunction with other local cachers, this is a plan for when I stop my road warrior ways.