Unable to adopt sold geocoins to new owner.

Howlingmoon

I've sold ACTIVATED geocoins to three separate people over the last two weeks, who do not have Geocaching accounts, and outright refuse to get one so I can adopt the coin over to them, and get it off of my account. I'm looking for advice on what the coiners around here might do in my position ?

Thank you,

i am having somewhat the same problem, except my buyer HAS a geocaching.com account and is very active. i sold one person two tranquilities last may and sent the adoption request. don't know what happened to that request but it never was completed. so i sent it again just a couple of days ago. sent the buyer an email via geocaching.com AND through ebay. still no answer.

setting up another account to adopt the coins to seems strange - i mean i would still be the owner according to GC - just under a different name. i just can't think of a logical reason why someone wouldn't want to adopt coins they have paid for!

rsg

I agree with you, RSG. I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to "own" the geocoin(s) they've paid for and have physical possession of, even if tis just on the forums.

One of the three told me that they never sign up for anything in order to avoid getting spam. Hmmm, they have an eBay account, PayPal account, and email account. Hello ?!?!?!

I thought about adopting the coins to a dummy account but, then I thought of what the new owners might say/think/whatever if they saw me adopting their coins to someone else. Do I need to tell them ? What about the one who doesn't join anything ? They got pretty rude with me in emails, and I'm worried about getting negative feedback on eBay from them as tis already!

I guess you're stuck with them on your profile or collection until they decide what they want to do with them that's relevant to geocaching. You can always change the names of the coins to "Waiting for Godot 1,2 & 3" so you won't be mistaken by which coins they are and hopefully they will be gifted/sold to cachers soon enough and you can adopt them away.... and let them wonder "why Godot?"

Edit to add..... If they aren't bothered by the tracking ownership to have them adopted over I can't see how they'd get upset by you adopting them to SOMEONE just to get them out of your hair. Just hang on to them until they figure out what they are up to.

Edited by Droo

Send a email to gc.com to have the coins deactivated.

On a personal note I have to wonder why someone would purchase a previously activated coin and then not accept adoption since it was certainly clearly stated in the sale. Perhaps even though they spent the money they just didn't want to take ownership.

Go figure.

I thought that wasn't possible ? I'll give it a shot! Thank you.

On a personal note I have to wonder why someone would purchase a previously activated coin and then not accept adoption since it was certainly clearly stated in the sale. Perhaps even though they spent the money they just didn't want to take ownership.

Go figure.

Yeah, I asked the same question. lol I definitely made it very clear that the coins were activated, and that they would be adopted over once payment was received. There's no reason they could not know they were bidding on an activated geocoin before they actually bid. Unless, of course, they didn't bother reading the description. Which wouldn't be the first time.

I thought that wasn't possible ? I'll give it a shot! Thank you.

Go figure.

Yeah, I asked the same question. lol I definitely made it very clear that the coins were activated, and that they would be adopted over once payment was received. There's no reason they could not know they were bidding on an activated geocoin before they actually bid. Unless, of course, they didn't bother reading the description. Which wouldn't be the first time.

Maybe they were confused. Did you talk to them?

This all sounds very strange.

I wonder if these are purchased by "muggles", who see the coins listed when searching for some unrelated item and they think, "Oooo, that's a nice token with a rabbit (or whatever) on it. I'd like that for my collection..." Then they end up buying it with no understanding of geocaching, or trackables... They have the token they wanted and that's all they're interested in.

Difficult to know what to do for the best.

:unsure:

MrsB

I agree with you, RSG. I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to "own" the geocoin(s) they've paid for and have physical possession of, even if tis just on the forums.

One of the three told me that they never sign up for anything in order to avoid getting spam. Hmmm, they have an eBay account, PayPal account, and email account. Hello ?!?!?!

I thought about adopting the coins to a dummy account but, then I thought of what the new owners might say/think/whatever if they saw me adopting their coins to someone else. Do I need to tell them ? What about the one who doesn't join anything ? They got pretty rude with me in emails, and I'm worried about getting negative feedback on eBay from them as tis already!

I think you probably need to be more relaxed about this. It's impossible to dictate what someone does with something after you sold it. It's not really a huge problem!

I kinda smile when I see this thread. And I'm inclined to roll with uktim. I have at least 28 activated coins on my profile that I've sold via Ebay. The new physical owners either never bothered to send me their info, never completed the request, or just told me that they didn't need to adopt it. I'd wager a freshly packaged new geocoin that at least one of your buyes is common to mine. It happens, and it will continue to happen.

TMA

I kinda smile when I see this thread. And I'm inclined to roll with uktim. I have at least 28 activated coins on my profile that I've sold via Ebay. The new physical owners either never bothered to send me their info, never completed the request, or just told me that they didn't need to adopt it. I'd wager a freshly packaged new geocoin that at least one of your buyes is common to mine. It happens, and it will continue to happen.

TMA

:blink:

So... How do you handle it? Do you mark those geocoin listings in some way? Like "Sold on (date) to (name)" or something?

It seems strange to me that people would pay up for a geocoin but then never completely take ownership of it. I wonder what happens later on if they get fed up with geocoins and decide to sell off their collection... It could make things a bit complicated.

MrsB

TMA

:blink:

So... How do you handle it? Do you mark those geocoin listings in some way? Like "Sold on (date) to (name)" or something?

It seems strange to me that people would pay up for a geocoin but then never completely take ownership of it. I wonder what happens later on if they get fed up with geocoins and decide to sell off their collection... It could make things a bit complicated.

MrsB

Here's one I sold in Feb. 2010, TB23F0T. I put "ZZ" in front of the name, which makes them statistically the last items in my trackables, so I never have to see them. Then I put "SOLD" on the back end. So I know I don't physically have it here. That works perfect as long as I remember to do so ;) But that's why I said at least 28. I know I've forgotten to do so on some others. Doesn't hurt my feelings.

TMA

I probably would post a note at the trackable:

Sold on ebay, date

New owner doesn't want to adopt.

That should stay the last entry for the time being, till they either start caching and show their trackables to be discovered or till they sell it on to someone, who is caching and might want to adopt the coin.

I'm in a different dillema, I bought an activated coin and wrote within two years three times to the (still active) seller with no response as to let me adopt the coin I've bought.

Now I don't take it to events to let it discover, cause I'm not the owner, but maybe I should, than the seller would get emails of discoveries...

Here's one I sold in Feb. 2010, TB23F0T. I put "ZZ" in front of the name, which makes them statistically the last items in my trackables, so I never have to see them. Then I put "SOLD" on the back end. So I know I don't physically have it here. That works perfect as long as I remember to do so ;) But that's why I said at least 28. I know I've forgotten to do so on some others. Doesn't hurt my feelings.

TMA

good idea, thanks so much,

lara

MrsB

Is it really so strange? I'd estimate that roughly half of the geocoins we have sold have gone to people who don't cache. A good design will appeal to collectors every bit as much as it will appeal to cachers.

MrsB

Is it really so strange? I'd estimate that roughly half of the geocoins we have sold have gone to people who don't cache. A good design will appeal to collectors every bit as much as it will appeal to cachers.

I can understand that - but you are selling brand new geocoins which have not got any previous owner's name attached to them. When one is bought by a "non geocachers" it doesn't make any difference because they've bought it presumably because they like the design and will have no particular interest in the fact that it's trackable in some game called geocaching. I think there are different considerations when someone buys a pre-owned geocoin which is still listed as belonging to another person, according to all appearances on geocaching.com. Rather like buying a second-hand car and not bothering to get the registration documents updated!

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

But that's exactly the point. If the new owner is not a geocacher, then what do they care? Jeremy could show up at the new owner's house demanding it back and they'd tell him to bug off. It's completely meaningless to them :D They would never even know it's activated or what activated means.

Side note. This thread motivated me to update my list, and I actually have 35 SOLD without new owners. yeah! :ph34r:

TMA

i am having somewhat the same problem, except my buyer HAS a geocaching.com account and is very active. i sold one person two tranquilities last may and sent the adoption request. don't know what happened to that request but it never was completed. so i sent it again just a couple of days ago. sent the buyer an email via geocaching.com AND through ebay. still no answer.

setting up another account to adopt the coins to seems strange - i mean i would still be the owner according to GC - just under a different name. i just can't think of a logical reason why someone wouldn't want to adopt coins they have paid for!

rsg

Maybe you could get those tranquilities back from the buyer and send them to me. I would be glad to adopt them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can understand that - but you are selling brand new geocoins which have not got any previous owner's name attached to them. When one is bought by a "non geocachers" it doesn't make any difference because they've bought it presumably because they like the design and will have no particular interest in the fact that it's trackable in some game called geocaching. I think there are different considerations when someone buys a pre-owned geocoin which is still listed as belonging to another person, according to all appearances on geocaching.com. Rather like buying a second-hand car and not bothering to get the registration documents updated!

I live in hope that none of my geocoins will start racking up parking tickets or points for speeding ;)

You could always mark it Missing or move it to some long archived geocache. Now that you cannot move coins to you collection if they have miles on them, I just put them in one of my events until I need to move them again to keep my list clean.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't move a coin to your collection if it has miles on it. When did that change? I moved one to my collection about a month ago that has over 14,000 miles on it and was returned to us after traveling around the world.

I've just checked on this for myself.

You can move one of your geocoin into your own Collection when it has mileage on it.

Cornish Bronze 2008 geocoin.

It's important that you first edit the geocoin's page and check the box "Make this trackable collectible". (Submit the change)

You will then have the option on the drop-down to "Move to Collection".

Edited by The Blorenges

I have a situation which I am having trouble getting resolved as the Coin I purchased from the previous owner have not sent me the adoption.

I purchased the coin way back in February and posted a note on the coin page the I had received the coin and to please send over the adoption. I then put the coin away and forgot about it. Recently I realized that I never got the adoption request so I emailed the previous owner thru Geocaching.com, Ebay and Paypal. Still, no response. The Coin is The All American Geocoin http://coord.info/TB149WQ - Anybody got any ideas how I can get this coin transferred into my name?

the new owner of the unadopted tranqs finished the adoption yesterday so i do feel better.

Oh, shoot. :tongue:

i'm sorry. but today i sent out notes to everyone that bought coins to be sure to give my their geonicks so i could send adoption request. one guy doesn't play the game so that adoption won't get done. oh well, no big whoop i guess.

the new owner of the unadopted tranqs finished the adoption yesterday so i do feel better.

Oh, shoot. :tongue:

i'm sorry. but today i sent out notes to everyone that bought coins to be sure to give my their geonicks so i could send adoption request. one guy doesn't play the game so that adoption won't get done. oh well, no big whoop i guess.

I hope I didn't offend you! Really...I was just being funny 'cause I was hoping you would send me those tranquilities and i would be glad to adopt them. :lol:

I have a situation which I am having trouble getting resolved as the Coin I purchased from the previous owner have not sent me the adoption.

I purchased the coin way back in February and posted a note on the coin page the I had received the coin and to please send over the adoption. I then put the coin away and forgot about it. Recently I realized that I never got the adoption request so I emailed the previous owner thru Geocaching.com, Ebay and Paypal. Still, no response. The Coin is The All American Geocoin http://coord.info/TB149WQ - Anybody got any ideas how I can get this coin transferred into my name?

Looks like you are doing what you need to do...emailing and posting a note on the coin's page. It appears the previous owner's haven't been on the site for almost a month. You never know what might be going on in their lives, but it is an unreasonably long time for you to wait. I recently experienced a smiliar situation and then felt horrible when I found out the previous owners were caught in the huge hurricane on the east coast and had no internet for a while (not to mention things affecting their lives that were way more important than caching!). You might considered emailing Groundspeak. Don't know if there's anything they can do, but it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!