You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Roman!

' timestamp='1315379054' post='4836298']

Share a 5/5 you're proud of doing, not dome lame liar 5/5 but a real 5/5.

Here's my two:

Lynne Lake

Definitely lookes like a 5 for terrain. But there is no indication that it would be a 5 for difficulty. Did it take severl hours of searching to find the container once you got there?

With 7 finds and no DNFs (and a spoiler photo that shows where the container is hidden) that is *not* a D5.

' timestamp='1315379054' post='4836298']

Share a 5/5 you're proud of doing, not dome lame liar 5/5 but a real 5/5.

Here's my two:

Lynne Lake

Definitely lookes like a 5 for terrain. But there is no indication that it would be a 5 for difficulty. Did it take severl hours of searching to find the container once you got there?

With 7 finds and no DNFs (and a spoiler photo that shows where the container is hidden) that is *not* a D5.

I have to agree :D Woowee, tough crowd here. :o

EDIT: C'mon, just kidding. I myself only have a couple of 5/5 liars caches (are they even allowed anymore?) Also, all the Canoe caches I've done have been by one guy, who doesn't list them as a 5 terrain. Good job, Roman.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

One of my favorite 5/5 cache finds (Nope. Not telling which one it is.) Requires a seven-mile hike/bike ride, looking for numbers at various spots to get the coords for the next stage. Most people call it a very tough cache. Me, I found the first two stages, Googled the rest, and did the final as a cache and dash. Rather startled the CO.

Or another requiring about ten miles to get between locations, then waiting for lightning to strike to figure out where the final is. That took me several months.

Those are the one's I'm proudest of.

My only 5/5, (I think), is Wheri(wanna)go Night Caching

It's a Wherigo, night cache, puzzle cache kinda thingy. Though the hike is only 4.5 miles. 2.5 of those miles are a hellish, wetlands bushwhack. You gotta find 5 ammo cans, solve the physical puzzle inside, (Rubik's Cube, Cryptex tube, etc), then find the final, another ammo can. I wasn't sure how it should be rated, so I bespoke a Reviewer, detailing the layout. They told me it should be a 5/5, even though those who survive the journey won't have a real tough time locating the final.

D I F F I C U L T Y

Extreme

A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

(26 km is a series physical challenge as is finding the 5 caches needed for the 5 over 5)

T E R R A I N

Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience

(boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Terrain, definitely a 5.

I'd say yes on both for 5's on both.

Edited by [Roman]

This is a REAL 5/5 !!!

I have to admit (okay, maybe I don't HAVE to, but we did say no lying) that I could not have completed this one without the help of the cache owner.

MANY people have taken many trips to try to complete this one.

This is the toughest puzzle I have ever seen in my life.

Each stage is progressively tougher and tougher. Most people get stopped by stage 3 if not sooner. Stage 4 is hideously evil. There are paths around GZ where many people have searched. I would not have found it without help. It is a multi/ puzzle that is incredibly difficult. Then it ends with ... yep, a water cache.

There are no easy outs on this one.

Each time you think you might have figured out the answer at a stage, something comes to screw you up in the solution.

Very creative. Very evil.

Getting the final with the boat was the easiest part of the whole thing.

Thank you Nolenator for showing us all what a real 5/5 is, (and also, thank you for helping a number of us with the solution). I learned a lot from this one!!!

I've found 5/5s according to my profile. They were so unremarkable that I don't recall doing them.

I think a very small percentage of 5/5s are true 5/5s. I'd be willing to bet that 95 percent of supposed 5/5s are not really 5/5s. Most are like one I encountered recently where the cache was clearly visible from the ground but you needed climbing equipment to reach it. That's not a 5/5 in my book, it's a 1/5.

' timestamp='1315459801' post='4837175']

D I F F I C U L T Y

Extreme

A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

(26 km is a series physical challenge as is finding the 5 caches needed for the 5 over 5)

T E R R A I N

Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience

(boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Terrain, definitely a 5.

I'd say yes on both for 5's on both.

The way I have always understood the D/T ratings is that the Terrain rating is a measure of the effort it takes to get to the location of the cache (and the fact that it might require a boat, rock climbing, scuba, etc. makes it an automatic 5). The difficulty rating is a measure of the difficultly for locating and opening the container once you get to ground zero.

Where the line gets blurry is when the journey to the published coordinates is relatively easy but the last 50-100 feet to get your hands on the container is the hard part. In the case of a cache high up in a tree I'd include the last 50-100 feet as part of the terrain. If the container can be easily located from the ground the Difficulty rating shouldn't be high, no matter how difficult it is to get the published coordinates and put your hands on the container.

So, a 26km hike to the location is part of the terrain, not a measure of the difficulty in finding the cache.

I did this series of caches and the Final Bonus 4 years ago. Just as well I did because I honestly don't know if I'd still be able to do all of them today. Basically, we had to find a hidden film pot in each cave, get the letter from it, then use the letters to create a phrase which was the key to solving the Vigenere Square for the final. Some of the individual caches had quite high ratings but our special equipment was some rope, hard hats, kneepads and plenty of torch power.

It was such good fun that the logs and photos tell the whole tale - although they don't completely explain why my friend and I were each wearing "transgender underwear" for the whole venture. The reason is that the caches are called "The UnderWorld series" so for the purposes of our slightly odd humour they became "The UnderWear series" for our attempt.

"Knackered Knees"

"Height of Darkness"

"Donkey Hole"

Horsham Hidey Hole"

"Lusty Caveman's Lair"

"The Worm's Turned"

"Ooops! Not Lord Elford's Hideout"

"UnderWorld 8 - The Final"

MrsB :)

GC1F4NV - Chiltern Hundred Bonus

While not exactly a 5/5 cache this one is listed as a 5/5 for a reason...

The coordinates for this are given to you by entering numbers onto a webpage set up by the cache owner. In order to get all the numbers you have to have visited at least 85 of his 109 caches. Not exactly challenging but as I completed 100 of the caches in one day (on a 25 mile walk) it's one of the 5/5 caches that I can actually be proud to say I completed!

This is a REAL 5/5 !!!

I have to admit (okay, maybe I don't HAVE to, but we did say no lying) that I could not have completed this one without the help of the cache owner.

MANY people have taken many trips to try to complete this one.

This is the toughest puzzle I have ever seen in my life.

Each stage is progressively tougher and tougher. Most people get stopped by stage 3 if not sooner. Stage 4 is hideously evil. There are paths around GZ where many people have searched. I would not have found it without help. It is a multi/ puzzle that is incredibly difficult. Then it ends with ... yep, a water cache.

There are no easy outs on this one.

Each time you think you might have figured out the answer at a stage, something comes to screw you up in the solution.

Very creative. Very evil.

Getting the final with the boat was the easiest part of the whole thing.

Thank you Nolenator for showing us all what a real 5/5 is, (and also, thank you for helping a number of us with the solution). I learned a lot from this one!!!

This was one that really stood out. Thanks Nolenator for the assist last year before SSVs paddle event.

I dont think I would have survived this one alone.

I really enjoyed Washington States Fizzy Challenge as it took many days, pocket queries and alot of fuel to complete.

GC13P6B

I am currently working on a 5/5 WIG in the northern Puget Sound region. Been slowly working on it for over a year

now. Hopefully I will get it published in the next couple of months.