My rant!

karkess

There is nothing more maddening than working several hours on a cache and spending another couple hours finding the a place to put the cache, only to have someone yank it down, not a big deal. But instead of contacting me to let me know what happened, they tried to fix it themselves and in their failed attempt cut the rope holding it up, which now makes the rope too short to use and must be replaced.

Moral of the story...While caching should you accidently mess up someone else's cache, let the CO know about it and don't modify things to try and make them work!

There is nothing more maddening than working several hours on a cache and spending another couple hours finding the a place to put the cache, only to have someone yank it down, not a big deal. But instead of contacting me to let me know what happened, they tried to fix it themselves and in their failed attempt cut the rope holding it up, which now makes the rope too short to use and must be replaced.

Moral of the story...While caching should you accidently mess up someone else's cache, let the CO know about it and don't modify things to try and make them work!

I just read the cache description. Very cool. Nice elaborate puzzle container, with clear instructions about how to open it. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for people to wreck caches with complicated cache mechanisms. A lot of finders don't read the cache descriptions when searching for Traditional-types. They may download only the coordinates to their GPS and off they go.

If you post it as a Unknown (Puzzle) it might stand a better chance of surviving, since Unknown caches usually require the finder to read the cache description. But the downside, puzzle caches get fewer visitors.

I will make an observation.......if a hide requires any more than very basic retrieval and replacement abilities be prepared to do lots of maint.,..... too many folks are in a big hurry.

I will make an observation.......if a hide requires any more than very basic retrieval and replacement abilities be prepared to do lots of maint.,..... too many folks are in a big hurry.

Yup.

As the coolness factor of the mechanics of the hide increases, the possibility that the mechanics will be damaged by finders also increases.

Daysprings Totally Tubular series is a perfect example. He puts together some great caches, one that has some mechanical parts, and often it gets broken because people don't read the description. However, the opposite side of it is that he has 3 caches that are in the top 50 favorited geocaches in the United States as well as having an amazing reputation around these parts.

Now, I can see it being accidentally and unintentionally messed up if it is not a cut and dry cache - which this one wasn't. I can also see the cacher who mistakenly messed it up trying to fix it. I've done that before! But what I don't understand is why they would go so far as to CUT the rope that hung it in place (giving it slack to allow it to slide down from the tree it was hung from), totally make a mess of things (and it was obvious that it was put back wrong).... and then not say a thing to the CO. Just doesn't make sense to me. Unless they were just embarrassed and didn't want to admit they screwed it up I guess... It would make things a lot easier if you could spell it out for them in the cache listing, but that would give too much info if you did that, you might as well draw them a map and take a picture of exactly where it is and how to get to it. The purpose of this cache was to have a different kind of cache find other than the A-typical cache's that are normally found. Something different, something cool. I guess that is the payment for having a different cache! Oh, well...on to the next!

Edited by karkess