Garmin Oregon 450 - Maps Needed?

kenas

After much research, I'm leaning towards the purchase of a Garmin Oregon 450 GPSr for geocaching purposes. However, I'm a bit confused about what else I may need to get going in terms of maps.

Do I need to purchase a City Navigator map, or will I be able to geocache with the unit right out of the box? Is the City Navigator just what you need if you would use it in the car? If I can use it right out of the box for geocaching, what maps will be shown on it if any at all? Do I just go find free online maps to install on the unit?

Do people suggest getting TOPO maps as well, as I've never needed them in the past, and don't think I need them. However, I do like to be able to see a satellite image of the area I'm caching in, and may need them with a BirdsEye subscription to make this happen, but I'm not sure.

I appreciate anyone's feedback, or advice from your experience.

Cheers,

Ken

City Navigator is only needed if you plan to use it as an automotive GPS. If you've already got one of those, no need.

A topo map can be very handy in the event that you'd really like to know which side of the creek you're supposed to be on <g>. You'll find free ones for North America here: www.gpsfiledepot.com although you'll find a lot more have been built for the U.S. Even the OSM maps can be helpful in sorting things out at times: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php , also free and they DO cover Canada thoroughly.

Birdseye can be handy, but there are a couple of things that can work against you. Most forest trails are invisible - covered by tree canopy. A trail map will serve you better. Second, not all areas have high resolution images.

Edited by ecanderson

City Navigator is only needed if you plan to use it as an automotive GPS. If you've already got one of those, no need.

For those of us caching in urban areas, CN is quite useful, although the free OSM stuff is adequate too at a major savings in money. Topo maps don't do much for you when you are walking around the city and need street names and routing.

For those of us caching in urban areas, CN is quite useful, although the free OSM stuff is adequate too at a major savings in money. Topo maps don't do much for you when you are walking around the city and need street names and routing.

For me, having City Navigator on my GPSr means not having to use two GPS's to look for a cache. Most of the caches I hunt are urban or on the outskirts, where there are plenty of roads. Usually, I'll navigate "on road" then, after parking, "off road"....simple. Topo maps are lost on me, too. I really don't need them in a city environment, as Michael stated.

After much research, I'm leaning towards the purchase of a Garmin Oregon 450 GPSr for geocaching purposes. However, I'm a bit confused about what else I may need to get going in terms of maps.

Do I need to purchase a City Navigator map, or will I be able to geocache with the unit right out of the box? Is the City Navigator just what you need if you would use it in the car? If I can use it right out of the box for geocaching, what maps will be shown on it if any at all? Do I just go find free online maps to install on the unit?

Do people suggest getting TOPO maps as well, as I've never needed them in the past, and don't think I need them. However, I do like to be able to see a satellite image of the area I'm caching in, and may need them with a BirdsEye subscription to make this happen, but I'm not sure.

I appreciate anyone's feedback, or advice from your experience.

Cheers,

Ken

its a big thread but its been keeping up to date, the last about 10 pages are starting last year

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=174764&st=0

also check out this

Ontario Trails Project

since you're from Ontario you might want to keep an eye on the Canadian section, there is a thread there is being updates about additions to trails etc..

Edited by t4e

Sorry I just dunno, I looked at a couple gpsfiledepot maps and they did nothing for me. I may buy some 24k maps of areas of interest. I'll find out then if those are reasonably compatible with overlaying on aeriel photograqphy, that's months from now though...