cache listed in wrong state

gprgrl

Hi Folks--

On a recent caching adventure, I logged a find and got a Georgia Souvenir, only I was not caching in Georgia. The cache is listed in the cache owner's home state, not the next state over where the cache is physically located. I emailed the cache owner, with no response after 2 weeks. Should I mark as needs maintenance? keep waiting?

Seen that all too often here in AZ.

Cachers that cache (and place caches) on both sides of a state line. They sometimes can't be bothered to pay attention and know which side they were on when they placed the cache they are writing up.

SNOWBIRDS (who winter here and spend summer elsewhere). Same as above. Rushing through the write-up without really LOOKING at what they are typing.

After a reasonable time, I would post a Needs Maintenance if the owner does nothing...if the write-up says the cache is in a different State than it is, the owner needs to make the correction.

Only saw a few caches that might possibly have been the one you got the souvenir from, and none of them currently say they are in Georgia. Sounds to me like something weird on Groundspeak's end rather than something the CO did. (The two most likely candidates I looked at were nowhere near the border.)

Why can't the site just use the state the cache's coordinates are in?

A rarity, but it could be a puzzle or a multi that crosses a state line.

Then the state the coordinates for the first stage are in would be used.

For some (most?) US states, the borders might be trivial, but for a lot of other countries, it's not so easy for an automatism to figure out which country some coordinates are in.

Why can't the site just use the state the cache's coordinates are in?

A rarity, but it could be a puzzle or a multi that crosses a state line.

Then the state the coordinates for the first stage are in would be used.

For some (most?) US states, the borders might be trivial, but for a lot of other countries, it's not so easy for an automatism to figure out which country some coordinates are in.

Google Maps still draws the line somewhere. The site can use those.

Edited by Ambient_Skater
Google Maps still draws the line somewhere. The site can use those.

Sure, but that may not be right. What do you think happens more often, the coordinate/state/country database being wrong, or COs picking the wrong state/country. I think it's the former.

Sure, but that may not be right. What do you think happens more often, the coordinate/state/country database being wrong, or COs picking the wrong state/country. I think it's the former.

If Google doesn't know, how will the CO know? What happens more often is the cache would be hidden somewhere that has its borders clearly defined. It's only a minority of caches that are hidden in those areas. Not everyone should have to choose the state just so a few caches can be listed in the right area.

Edited by Ambient_Skater
If Google doesn't know, how will the CO know?

Oh I don't know. This side of the fence = Israel, the other side = Egypt? Something like that maybe? Just a random example that I remember...

Not everyone should have to choose the state just so a few caches can be listed in the right area.

Sure, if the website can give me a suggestion of where it thinks the cache is, that's fine as long as I can override that, in case it's wrong. But the option to manually select the state/country must be present. And since we already have that option, we might as well keep it the way it is. If the CO isn't sure where the coordinates are and wants a web service to tell them, put the coords on Google and see what it tells you, just like you say. But don't tell me that's where it is if I know better.

Seen that all too often here in AZ.

Cachers that cache (and place caches) on both sides of a state line. They sometimes can't be bothered to pay attention and know which side they were on when they placed the cache they are writing up.

SNOWBIRDS (who winter here and spend summer elsewhere). Same as above. Rushing through the write-up without really LOOKING at what they are typing.

After a reasonable time, I would post a Needs Maintenance if the owner does nothing...if the write-up says the cache is in a different State than it is, the owner needs to make the correction.

Why would you feel that somebody that spends about 6 to 9 months of the year in one state would be any less careful about writing up a cache page than somebody that lived there 12 months of the year? And if that is true, I can only imagine how bad they are about the caches they hide in the state where they spend the remaining 3-6 months!