Tips on dealing with the insects/bugs

goddess25

As the title topic says I am looking for some tips on dealing with the biting critters while out searching for caches. I live in Western Canada and its a temporate rainforest, never really been in and about the woods and forests so much and it appears that insects and bugs that bite love me. I have been covered in bites from head to toe, I have been spraying myself with insect repellant that contain deet but would rather not use it, even with the repellant on I am still getting bitten. I am caching with my husband who as a few bites my 2.5 year old son who has a few and I dont want to put the repellant on his skin and my 5 month old daughter who is in her stroller - no bites as yet! So far I have been bitten by mainly mosquitos and also a few other insects that I am not sure what they were.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Have you been wearing clothing that covers you? Pants, long sleeve shirts, hats, socks, and shoes? You can buy a product to spray on your clothing to make it bug repellent. Then, you need to make sure you aren't wearing perfume based products. Hair spray can be a big draw to bugs.

There are lots to do about this depending on the kinds of bugs that are biting you. I am sure others have suggestions. I start with clothing first and then move to other forms of control.

There are more bug repellents than just plain old "bug spray."

In Boy Scouts, some of the younger guys who were allergic to DEET-based products prior to alternate releases (late 80s, early 90s) used Avon's Skin-So-Soft product to good effect.

In addition to working well for most bugs, it smelled better.

I learned a while ago from a friend that had grown up in his Grand-dad's care (Pacific NW lumberman), that if you are overly concerned about the mosquitoes, you aren't having a good time or getting your work done.

Have never, ever seen him swat at a mosquito. If it helps you at all, I admit that I can only TRY to follow his example, but it does seem to have merit when I adhere to his teachings. :blink:

Agreed with the above. I have been wearing a jeans shirt, long sleeve if going into the woods. A hat is a must, I've seen people use the full brim type with good luck. Tuck things in. You can probably get skeeter nets for younger ones if its really that bad.

I've had some luck with the Off repeller. Its a disc that fits inside a hanging device with a motor that moves air through it.

Theres also a thing called a Citrosa Plant that is used to detract skeeters and other insects. You could possibly use some of this near the kids. It reeks of citronella (hence the name), but it might better to stick together, and use a local deterrent like that, than find something for each person. I hunt a lot around rivers and wooded areas, so I know all too well. But I have my OFF deep woods by my side for that. And yes, you need to cover everything. A lot of people forget the neck, and ears. Those areas are the most prone to attacks, yet most people worry more about arms and hands.

Thanks a bunch for your replys, I have bought an OFF deep woods one and an OFF for kids. I have us all covered in clothing from head to toe, but for me personally trousers tucked into socks, long sleeves, I somehow still get lots of bites under my clothes! I seem to be the perfect meal.

I am going to try some citronella, cheers!

Thanks a bunch for your replys, I have bought an OFF deep woods one and an OFF for kids. I have us all covered in clothing from head to toe, but for me personally trousers tucked into socks, long sleeves, I somehow still get lots of bites under my clothes! I seem to be the perfect meal.

I am going to try some citronella, cheers!

In addition to using OFF! on your skin, try a permethrin based repellent on your clothing. Sawyer Clothing is one.

I cache and live on the west coast as well

very bag for bugs this year

Deet is very good though ive had to apply over and over in one outing, kind of gross and cant be good for you

my geo buddy uses natural repellants and has still had to use my deet spray, even on the dog!

the secret is, to stop the itch afterword is to rub the inside of a banana peel on the sore areas

works like a miracle

cache on