TB lost in 2003 possibly just found? What now?...

NoRain

I had a Travel bug go MIA in 2003.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=36d7a848-ec2a-4dd2-9a7f-99c0a004853a

It went missing from a Cache that had seen some muggle activity & I had come to expect that it would never be found.

The other day I got an e-mail (owner notification) that someone logged a find on it.

It appears they found it at a GeoEvent in Germany? And the log is in German.

I dropped them a message via geocaching but haven't gotten any reply.

Possibly due to the fact that they maybe don't understand english?

I'm reluctant to believe that it is even the right bug. But I would certainly like some confirmation.

So ya I'm not sure what I should do next.

Any thoughts, ideas or direction would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

NoRain

The fact that it was logged at an event (we will not go into the location) makes me suspect that the only thing seen may have been a list of TB numbers. You could try identifying the event and contacting other attendees to find out what was there. Never know, you might get someone say "Yes there was a list, but I never log from lists."

Another possibility is that the cacher copied down a tracking number inaccurately at the event and logged your MIA TB in error and didn't notice their mistake.

If it was somebody logging from a list of TB numbers I'd expect more logs to turn up soon!

Let's hope that it's genuine and your TB really has returned from limbo land.

MrsB :)

Another possibility is that the cacher copied down a tracking number inaccurately at the event and logged your MIA TB in error and didn't notice their mistake.

If it was somebody logging from a list of TB numbers I'd expect more logs to turn up soon!

Let's hope that it's genuine and your TB really has returned from limbo land.

MrsB :)

That is strange. The discoverer is not a newbie, so they should have seen the amazing time frame as well (or the fact that they didn't seem to notice may indicate less-than-accurate TB tracking). If the number's from a list, everyone else sure has excercised restraint, with no other logs. Could your bug have been part of someone's private, uh... collection?

I wonder if you could ask in that region's forum, for wherever the Mega Event was.

The log says,

"It was seen at the mega-event in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern."

That's in Germany. The event was Lost in MV.

There are 587 trackables logged into that event and your Little Alien Green thing is not one of them. Probably someone miswrote, or mistyped, the tracking number. If this were my trackable, I would delete the log.

That is strange. The discoverer is not a newbie, so they should have seen the amazing time frame as well (or the fact that they didn't seem to notice may indicate less-than-accurate TB tracking). If the number's from a list, everyone else sure has excercised restraint, with no other logs. Could your bug have been part of someone's private, uh... collection?

I wonder if you could ask in that region's forum, for wherever the Mega Event was.

Not a newbie for sure I to am surprised they missed this.

someone's private, uh... collection?

Gosh I hope not I put alot of time into this bug.

The log says,

"It was seen at the mega-event in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern."

That's in Germany. The event was Lost in MV.

I had trouble finding this page.

Many thanks.

There are 587 trackables logged into that event and your Little Alien Green thing is not one of them. Probably someone miswrote, or mistyped, the tracking number. If this were my trackable, I would delete the log.

And I just double checked that. Ya it must of been a misprint?

Possibly the guy had logged so many that he didn't notice.

Wish I spoke German.

Delete the log. If it really has come back, someone will tell you.

Excatly what I will do.

Many & Much thanks for all the input.

Have a Great Summer!

NoRain

You could always send a translated message using one of the online translators that are out there. Just search English to German translator in the search engine of your choice. The grammar will most likely not be perfect (as I have translated German to English a few times before) but it will be good enough for them to understand.

You could always send a translated message using one of the online translators that are out there. Just search English to German translator in the search engine of your choice. The grammar will most likely not be perfect (as I have translated German to English a few times before) but it will be good enough for them to understand.

Some of the German to English translations I've seen, I couldn't understand.

Hi,

maybe ask here if there might be somebody who can help out with translations.

Could assist with English to/from Dutch, German or French. Can arrange Polish and Spanish within a reasonable time frame.

Prepared a standard text in E, NL, F and D here: forum.geocaching.nl/index.php?showtopic=17821 (for those who are member there... ain't anymore).

Cheers,

harraps

Edit: Link

Edited by harraps