Oregon 450T

Have an Oregon 450T with the city maps loaded. The GPS used to beep and state, "arriving at location", this location was that of the Geocache, it would then go to compass mode to locate the cache. Lately it hasn't been doing this. There was a software update for the GPS, that occured around the same time that the geocache site started producing their own maps. Since the change in maps, on the site, I've had this problem. Now the GPS will get me close but not state "arriving at location" and won't go in to compass mode. Most likely this is operator error so any and all inputs are welcome.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

TIA

Team DaK

Have an Oregon 450T with the city maps loaded. The GPS used to beep and state, "arriving at location", this location was that of the Geocache, it would then go to compass mode to locate the cache. Lately it hasn't been doing this. There was a software update for the GPS, that occured around the same time that the geocache site started producing their own maps. Since the change in maps, on the site, I've had this problem. Now the GPS will get me close but not state "arriving at location" and won't go in to compass mode. Most likely this is operator error so any and all inputs are welcome.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

TIA

Team DaK

may 18 firmware update

Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

it still beeps though, just not displaying the message

as for the unit switching itself to compass, we have a 450 and a 550 and we're not aware of such feature

Wonder why they took that out in the first place?

Because it's annoying as heck and lots of people wanted it gone :P

I still don't know how you get it to automatically switch the screen to the compass. Is there an option for that?

Ah, I see, I like that feature personally.

It doesn't do the auto switching anymore with this new software load. And now I am second guessing myself if it even did that.

Can't see why the banner would of been annoying. Think it is much more annoying to discover you passed a cache and have to back track.

t4e,

Thanks for that link. Going to write Garmin right now and suggest that they put that back in. The Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

they took it out because many users have complained about and asked for the annoying feature to be removed. Please don't return it but if they made it optional fine. I hate it

WOW, why and how did you find it annoying?

While we are out caching, I am busy navigating the 4wd roads and really don't have time to watch the GPS all the time so the banner and the chime were excellent for me.

Garmin should make it an option then. That would appease everyone. Also be nice to make that chime louder as the Jeep can be a noisy environment sometimes.

I second the elimination from the Montana! Very annoying walking up to a cache then loosening your direction and distance for a banner that tells you that you have arrived. No crap! I’ve had my eyes glued to the distance, I knew exactly how far away I was until that annoying banner covered it up. Then you either have to wait impatiently for it to go away or cancel it manually. It’s a lot like a commercial on TV. It pops up right when everything is getting interesting.

WOW, why and how did you find it annoying?

While we are out caching, I am busy navigating the 4wd roads and really don't have time to watch the GPS all the time so the banner and the chime were excellent for me.

Garmin should make it an option then. That would appease everyone. Also be nice to make that chime louder as the Jeep can be a noisy environment sometimes.

It was annoying to many of us who would be navigating towards a cache, and the approaching the cache page would pop up, and we'd have to press the ok button to have it go away and get back to the map or pointer. Just having the beep is enough of a proximity indicator. It was extremely annoying to have something pop up in the way of the screen I was using to navigate with.

Yes, having such a thing user configurable would be nice, but don't get your hopes up - I don't think garmin is going to be adding any more functionality to the oregon line in the near (or far) future.

t4e,

Thanks for that link. Going to write Garmin right now and suggest that they put that back in. The Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

It was VERY annoying, appeared on the screen and you had to press a button to clear it. Then turn around and head back to look for the cache, as you usually walked past it while trying to clear the Arriving at Destination message!

On the other part of your question, check your settings, sometimes an update will change or delete something you have previously set as a preference.

Edited by Bear and Ragged