Should I scratch my itch?

Twice in the past two weeks I've been stung on the back of my neck (why that particular part of my anatomy is so popular with them I have no idea) by wasps - or at least I presume they were wasps, on neither occasion did they hang around to be identified. Each time I felt a slight tickling/itching, moved my hand around to explore the reason, and whammo! - they struck. I presume the lesson Mother Nature is trying to teach me is not to scratch my itch - but then I'd feel even more disconcerted when I'm being itched/tickled, and I don't know what is doing it..

AfterBite really isn't as good as it says it is.

Twice in the past two weeks I've been stung on the back of my neck (why that particular part of my anatomy is so popular with them I have no idea) by wasps - or at least I presume they were wasps, on neither occasion did they hang around to be identified. Each time I felt a slight tickling/itching, moved my hand around to explore the reason, and whammo! - they struck. I presume the lesson Mother Nature is trying to teach me is not to scratch my itch - but then I'd feel even more disconcerted when I'm being itched/tickled, and I don't know what is doing it..

AfterBite really isn't as good as it says it is.

lol... carry fly spray?

have you tried a repellant? My face usually works with humans, but with insects it needs a little help!

It might be a horsefly and not a wasp that finds you attractive. I stood on a wasp nest last week (working, not caching) and seventeen of the little devils lined up seeking revenge. Might be worth investing in a small can of 'Wasp Eze' for caching expeditions. It certainly helps to ease the pain but I found a small can really isn't enough for seventeen stings.

Michael

I find a 'zapper' (I think that is its proper name) works well on all stings. It is small plastic thing about the size of a lipstick, that emits a short high voltage, a bit like a gas lighter. It does not hurt. I carry it with my geo kit.

My wife has been trying to purchase one of these ever since I borrowed yours, but she has yet to find a shop that stocks them :sad: .

Having said that, while I agree it worked pretty well on my nettle stings, I think it would have been totally inadequate against my recent bee stings.

Rgds, Andy

I find a 'zapper' (I think that is its proper name) works well on all stings. It is small plastic thing about the size of a lipstick, that emits a short high voltage, a bit like a gas lighter. It does not hurt. I carry it with my geo kit.

My wife has been trying to purchase one of these ever since I borrowed yours, but she has yet to find a shop that stocks them :sad: .

Having said that, while I agree it worked pretty well on my nettle stings, I think it would have been totally inadequate against my recent bee stings.

Rgds, Andy

If you type 'Zapper' into E-Bay you should find an item similar to mine for £3.99 plus p&p. Alternativlely the correct name of mine is Zanza-Click, it should be available in larger Boots (thats the chemist not outdoor gear :laughing: :laughing: ). If you look for it on line - shop by brand then Zanza & its the only item, Boots code is 3771512 (£6.12 and part of 3 for 2 at the moment, Travel & Health). I have always found it effective as have people I have leant it to despite them being very sceptical at first. Hope this helps.

Regards

David

Four wasp stings for me today, after about thirty-five years since the last one! An anti-histamine tablet reduced the swelling, and then some cream when I got home. After a few hours the pain has eased to a mild irritation.

I wonder if wasps are particularly aggressive this month, for some reason?

Edited by Happy Humphrey

We've noticed fruit is ripe unseasonally early this year - apples ready to eat, blackberries too (a month or so early). Perhaps all the wasps are buzzing around with indigestion, looking for someone to take it out on.

I just had a Google about this and it appears that the 'angry' behavior increases as the season progresses and colony populations become larger while food becomes scarcer... (around early September)

In Autumn, they are primarily scavengers and they start to show up at picnics, barbecues, around empty food cans, at dishes of dog or cat food placed outside, and where ripe or overripe fruit are accessible.

As another poster mentioned, the fruit are ripe really early this year and resembles september rather than August.

Maybe all this early season stuff is confusing the wasps and they think the Summer is almost over?

(Did we have a Summer yet?) :rolleyes: