Adopting Archived Geocaches

When a cache is archived, the container is removed. If you find the container, you could contact the Cache Owner, to ask if they want it or items inside it. It's probably a good idea to ask if they plan to place a new cache in the area -- you might find out that there's already a new Mystery or Multi cache in place, which you didn't know about. Saves a lot of work, knowing that in advance. The CO might even let you know why the old spot wasn't such a good place for a cache.

If you can't contact the previous CO, you can re-use the containers, and even place them in the exact same spot, but they would be new caches with new GC#s.

If the cache owner is still active, and the archived cache meets the current guidelines, the owner can get it republished, and can transfer ownership over to you. If the owner is not active, it's pretty much a dead issue.

Sure, but that would be pretty silly. There is nothing to adopt. He should just place his own cache at the location.

I just found a whole bunch of cache containers...various sizes and styles...

There are a number of archived caches in my area that I would be interested in adopting from the previous owners...What is the best method to do this? Thanks...

The best method is to prepare the cache containers, fill out the report a new cache form and submit it. If it meets the guidelines it will be published and your on your way to cache ownership.

There's a cache I've got my eye on, just waiting for it to be archived. It's the second lame guardrail cache in the same spot, and I've got a really good idea in mind. It will still be a guardrail, but not quite as obvious. As soon as the current is archived, I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich! :laughing:

Sure, but that would be pretty silly.

I agree. Wholeheartedly. But sometimes people do silly things. Heck, I know people that argue about black & gray film cans being good cache containers, and other people saying that caching in a big city is fun. Just because something appears silly or quirky to you and I, doesn't mean someone else won't like the idea. I just wanted to demonstrate that it was possible, even though I don't think it's a very viable option. For me, hiding a new cache is the better choice by far.

I am at a loss to understand why you would even want to adopt an old cache instead of putting a new one there. A new cache will bring people back to the spot that found the archived cache. Adopting it would not. The only thing to be gained by adopting a cache is the online logs that go along with it (*if* you consider that to be a "gain")

Edited by knowschad

I am at a loss to understand why you would even want to adopt an old cache instead of putting a new one there. A new cache will bring people back to the spot that found the archived cache. Adopting it would not. The only thing to be gained by adopting a cache is the online logs that go along with it (*if* you consider that to be a "gain")

As someone who has adopted 4 older, quality caches going back to 2002 I can speak to why someone would do it. I've only been caching for about a year and change. Older caches make me feel a connection to the early days of caching. Finding GC12 and GCD have been some of my favorite finds. And whos to say that the cache you adopt from 2002 may be the oldest one in -------- in 5/10/15 years. Maybe it's just me though.

As someone who has adopted 4 older, quality caches going back to 2002 I can speak to why someone would do it. I've only been caching for about a year and change. Older caches make me feel a connection to the early days of caching. Finding GC12 and GCD have been some of my favorite finds. And whos to say that the cache you adopt from 2002 may be the oldest one in -------- in 5/10/15 years. Maybe it's just me though.

I can somewhat agree with you about the very, very old caches, but they are the rare exception, in my book.