Newbie and Proposal Idea

aggiebass09

Hello everyone!

Me and my girlfriend are about to try getting into geocaching. We haven't had the chance to actually try it just yet but hopefully sometime this week! In a couple weeks, though, I plan on proposing. I've seen that a handful of people have used geocaching to propose. I thought that this would be a pretty original and fun way to propose but I have not set up a cache before. I know that each cache has to go through an approval process but is there a way to set up a private cache? My concern is that I don't want someone to find my cache before she does!

So is there a way to set up a private cache or do I just need to be very good with the timing?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Me and my girlfriend are about to try getting into geocaching. We haven't had the chance to actually try it just yet but hopefully sometime this week! In a couple weeks, though, I plan on proposing. I've seen that a handful of people have used geocaching to propose. I thought that this would be a pretty original and fun way to propose but I have not set up a cache before. I know that each cache has to go through an approval process but is there a way to set up a private cache? My concern is that I don't want someone to find my cache before she does!

So is there a way to set up a private cache or do I just need to be very good with the timing?

Thanks!

Can you load coords into your device that you are using? If so, so somewhere that you want it to be get the coords load it into your device, put a name on it of whatever you want it to be and then let her use the device to find the cache.

Best way is to fake it. Write-up a real page for a cache without submitting it and then (assuming it is within the guidelines) - have it published after the proposal. You will have to edit a 'printed' copy of the page to remove the unpublished cache comments but you can make it look real enough.

is there a way to set up a private cache? My concern is that I don't want someone to find my cache before she does!

Unless you scout out the perfect spot to propose (which has no cache already), a fake one's best, as suggested. The two of you could go "find" a nearby real cache first (one that you've already located, so you can "find" it quick and continue to the proposal cache). Then load the proposal waypoint, start the navigation, and have her go "find" the next "cache", where the proposal site is. The location can be much more flexible than a real cache may be, even inside a building.

Save coords for a park pavilion or bench, or under a trellis, or some other ideal spot. Nice paved walk, no ticks, what a strangely comfortable cache this is :rolleyes:. Place the box in a very hidden way, or have a friend hide it just before you arrive (or just have him standing there holding the box for you). Consider inviting a few close friends to the place (so they hide or mill around in the background til the proper moment), if you'd be inclined to do that. Of course, if you're both very adventurous, it can be a 5/5 cache if you prefer. Get down on one knee, shout, "Hey, I think this may be it, look!", and when she comes over, you propose to her.

If it's a good cache site, you can later make a real page and publish it. For now, the best plan is to do it at a memorable place. I also think it would be cool to have an engagement ring in an ammo can, but maybe that's just me. :P

You could use any existing "puzzle cache" page. So "you worked it out", and coincidentally, the coords are in the middle of a footbridge over a stream. Go figure. If you use a ring box, bring it with you, and set it down at any suitable time to find, or have it in your hand.

Edited by kunarion