I'm a quitter!

28 years since the first, and after yearss of trying, I'm finally no longer a smoker. Finally got through the physical stage of addiction, so the hard bit is done.

So, preferably in the north west, any recommendation for cache that can match the elation? I want the best walk, a great view, and a sense of achievement. Wish to do this one this week, so I can shout from the hilltop that I beat my addiction.

Edited by NattyBooshka

The obvious choice would be Scafell Pike.

MissB is supposedly going to the top of it tomorrow. :unsure: That is, if her group's finished with Ben Nevis today. :unsure:

I've given her the details of the geocaches she should try and find but whether she will or not, who knows? As a geocacher, she's a big disappointment to me. <_<

Anyway, very well done on being a quitter. A great achievement and think of all that extra lung capacity you now have for climbing the fells. :D

MrsB

The obvious choice would be Scafell Pike.

MissB is supposedly going to the top of it tomorrow. :unsure: That is, if her group's finished with Ben Nevis today. :unsure:

I've given her the details of the geocaches she should try and find but whether she will or not, who knows? As a geocacher, she's a big disappointment to me. <_<

Anyway, very well done on being a quitter. A great achievement and think of all that extra lung capacity you now have for climbing the fells. :D

MrsB

Yes... Scarfell Pike would be great, if I had the lung capacity to get up there... Think it'll have to wait a while, I struggle up kinder right now.

I applaud you... well done!

I stopped smoking for 3 years ..... then 1 year .... then 8 months ..... then 6 months ... have been smoking again almost a year.

This time I hope to stop it for good!

I know I can do it ... i just know I can. :unsure:

You can!

I watched a programme that said if you need a smoke within 30 minutes of waking up you're badly addicted... I thought 30 seconds must be pretty extreme then! I couldnt get up without a smoke, if I woke in the night I'd light one, etc etc.

So, I reversed it in my head... If I can not smoke for 30 minutes, I'm not badly addicted. Easy... So, half a day and I'm fine.... Nope, really dying for one... Got 20... Looked that 20 in the "eye" and said it's you or me... Opened them into washing up bowl full of water.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done... I'm on day 6... Sometimes I want one, but my body isn't screaming for one all day. I'm there, and I'm not going back... I've been through hell, and I ain't going back.

Used caching to get me through, as walking was the only time I didn't smoke. Today I didn't walk... Or smoke. Tomorrow I will bag a few caches.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Grats!

funny, today is my 1st anniversary, tis been one year for me since I smoked one

up hill is so much easier by now :)

and its all in the head, nothing else will sort it.

good luck :)

Cheers... And well done on the year. Yeah, physical is gone now, it is all in the head. Guy on telly I refered to earlier said it was impossible for me to stop alone with no nicotine replacement etc etc... Oh yeah doctor? I'm a stubborn one... Now you've said I can't, I WILL!

Sure, gonna be hard sometimes, but I've gone at all my must smoke times this week... dinner, pint in the local, not walking, etc etc... Didn't want those times to be an issue later.

May have offended a reviewer in another thread during an I need a smoke moment... Sorry for that, owe you a beer!

Edited by NattyBooshka

I've never had a single puff of a single cigarette. Can I get some congratulations too please? :ph34r:

I say Snowdon - it is possible to get the train down if the walk up proves too much, and pick your route. The Miners' Track is pretty flat and then suddenly really, really not. The Pyg track might be a safer bet, or even either of the long walks, like the Ranger path which sort-of follows the railway line and is long, but fairly steady. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it and take your time :)

When I was a lad, no-one knew they killed you. Or if anyone did know, they were keeping it very quiet. I am *so* lucky that I didn't start; all my friends were smokers, and often offered me one. "How do you know if you'll like it if you haven't tried it?" And I thought of all the other things I haven't tried because it's so obvious that I won't like it, and thought that was a silly argument. And I heard the way they coughed, and it didn't sound right to me.

So well done you!

From one ex smoker to another, well done!

August Bank Holiday (Sat) 1976 was the last day I smoked a cigerette. Normal Bank Holiday Sunday and I refused to go out and buy my normal 60 ciggies and as the Monday was the same I had 2 full days without. Just decided to give it a try.

Breathing ability slowly recovered to the extent that I ran 5 London Marathons and trained for around 50miles a week.

Climb to the highest cche you ca,n just to demonstrate to yourself how much better you feel without the dreaded weed and, like me, do not give in to any temptation to start again.

Congrats natty and DrDick.....I did stop smoking when i was pregnant with my boy but unfortunetly started again (only outside though...7 steps away from the doorway) Id love to have the will power to stop smoking but with the stresses of work and life its very difficult for me anyway!

Didnt no you were from the NW Natty...so am i.....Leigh is where im currently living.....Hope to go back to yorkshire as soon as possible though.......If ur ever caching up my area give me a message and we can do some together.....Got some series i need to finish and also start :)

Congrats natty and DrDick.....I did stop smoking when i was pregnant with my boy but unfortunetly started again (only outside though...7 steps away from the doorway) Id love to have the will power to stop smoking but with the stresses of work and life its very difficult for me anyway!

Didnt no you were from the NW Natty...so am i.....Leigh is where im currently living.....Hope to go back to yorkshire as soon as possible though.......If ur ever caching up my area give me a message and we can do some together.....Got some series i need to finish and also start :)

Technically I'm East Midlands... But the boarder to NW is about 4 miles away, as is the Yorkshire one, so I'm a kinda 3 regions player!

Not been in the Leigh area for a long time... Could be cool to put a face to a name etc!

I've never had a single puff of a single cigarette. Can I get some congratulations too please? :ph34r:

I smoked for 25 years. Weed for 18 years. Smack, Crack and Ice for a night or two.

I don't ask for thanks or even praise for giving up.

I just live on and cache. :)

PS..the above is 100% true.

Congrats. I guess.

Edited by Chili-K

I smoked for 25 years. Weed for 18 years. Smack, Crack and Ice for a night or two.

I don't ask for thanks or even praise for giving up.

I just live on and cache. :)

PS..the above is 100% true.

Congrats. I guess.

Those who never did know that they deserve the praise... Sad thing is the current senior school kids don't believe us.

Those who did, and worse, deserve as much support as it takes.

Technically I'm East Midlands... But the boarder to NW is about 4 miles away, as is the Yorkshire one, so I'm a kinda 3 regions player!

Not been in the Leigh area for a long time... Could be cool to put a face to a name etc!

Think im heading to the NW Mega in warrington in August if ur attending that :)

Oooo Yorkshire aswell....my home Land...Leeds gal born an bread, off over at weekend to do a lovely series which has just been placed so looking forward to that :)

Congratulations on quitting, top of snowdon has two you can tag and enjoy the views,

It does... And the train is way too expensive! Easier walk than scarfell too... Could be the one/two!

i was going to suggest snowdon - we did it yesterday and bagged the trad and the virtual on top. didnt realise til we got down tehre are another 2 or 3 we could have bagged if we wanted too as well - using different routes/paths.

Congrats on not smoking! i quit proporly last summer after a rather weak and feable period of smoking only when in the company of others. walking is so much easier once your lungs clear of the crap thats in them!

Can't help with the cache as I don't know the area but might there be an old cigarette factory in North West. I know BAT etc. had them all over the country. I know you don't like Urbans but maybe a cigar tube around the site/location of the site it was on if disused would be apt?

Anyway, congratulations on joining the ex-smoker brigade. You will now become so anti-smoking that you will lose all your puffing friends! lol

WELL DONE AND KEEP IT UP.

Can't help with the cache as I don't know the area but might there be an old cigarette factory in North West. I know BAT etc. had them all over the country. I know you don't like Urbans but maybe a cigar tube around the site/location of the site it was on if disused would be apt?

Anyway, congratulations on joining the ex-smoker brigade. You will now become so anti-smoking that you will lose all your puffing friends! lol

WELL DONE AND KEEP IT UP.

Not sure on the tobacco politics. Gallagher Brothers took over the senior service site in Dukinfield... Cigarette production stopped a while back, the site was used by a toy company. Now it's all been demolished and in the process of becoming a business park and housing.

Maybe in sentiment of the rage against the machine Christmas number one (FU I won't do what you tell me) I could plant a little cache. It would have to wait a while though, as it's muggle central with the building work! Nice thinking.

Off to Snowdonia in the morning... Up to the summit before pitching the tent for much vino!