How to find Duplicates

Here is an idea. It may not be the simplest but it works. Go to your profile and look at your caches. Sort them by found. Now copy and paste them into a Spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet you can sort the alphabetically thus allowing you to go down the list and easily see any duplicates you have. Just tried it in MS Excel and was able to paste and sort the list.

I did just that - copied all the found, exported it into excel and found the remaining 2 duplicates.. now all of my caches are distinct/unique.. but now I have 5 less finds (albeit duplicates) but still sad I have to go find 5 more that I removed... :) Unique ones, of course!

If you have GSAK, thats the easiest way, you can sort the column "Fcount" and it will show how many finds you have on each cache.

I just downloaded My Finds to GSAK but can't find a column "Fcount"???????????

I did sort by cache name and didn't find any duplicates?

Edited by captnemo

I did just that - copied all the found, exported it into excel and found the remaining 2 duplicates.. now all of my caches are distinct/unique.. but now I have 5 less finds (albeit duplicates) but still sad I have to go find 5 more that I removed... :) Unique ones, of course!

Did you delete the duplicate log from the cache page?

If not, if you download a MyFinds PQ the duplicate logs will re-appear.

(Or even if you download a GPX file for the caches with duplicate logs)

If you have GSAK, thats the easiest way, you can sort the column "Fcount" and it will show how many finds you have on each cache.

View > Add/Remove Column... > Found count

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks to all who helped me with this. B)

View > Add/Remove Column... > Found count

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks to all who helped me with this. B)

As well as deleting the extra log from GSAK, remember to delete the duplicate log from the cache page.

If not, if you download a MyFinds PQ the duplicate logs will re-appear.

(Or even if you download a GPX file for the caches with duplicate logs)

If they were duplicates, then nothing was truly lost.

AND you can be proud that your count is COMPLETELY sanitary.

I have a little application called Findstats that I wrote when the My Finds query was new. It doesn't give as detailed statistics as newer applications, but it is quick and easy and identifies all duplicates. And, as always, it is free. All you have to do is drag your My Finds gpx file on it and it spits out a nice little text file.

I think it is the easiest way to find duplicates.

Edited by fizzymagic

Or upload your "my finds" PQ to mgcp and it will tell you.

To revive this thread:

I just tried to find dupes by uploading my finds to mgcp, but to no avail <_< .

So I did the other procedure suggested using GSAK and adding the FindCount.

Nonetheless, can someone enlighten me how to do this in mgcp?

TIA!

We found the cache in GSAK that shows 2 as the found count, deleted one of the logs months ago.  We already uploaded a new stat file but that didn't fix GSAK, it is still showing the two original logs although they no longer show in geocaching..  Is there a way to manually override the 2 back to a 1 ?

Edited by travelnbhappy21

Not quite sure if I understand you, but if you have logged the cache in goecaching.com twice and have exported the two finds to GSAK this is what I do:

Delete one of the two logs in geocaching.com (usually the later one)

Delete the GSAK log entry.

Export the remaining log from Groundspeak to GSAK.

This will resync the number in Groundspeak and GSAK

Sometimes, when you delete one log in Groundspeak, the number on top is not reduced. You have to logout, clean the browser cache, close the browser and then login again.

Best greetings, MB

On January 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM, bjohio said:

Another quick way to find your duplicates (and tons of other cool stuff) is visit http://project-gc.com/Profile/FindBadLogs. Log on to your Groundspeak account through this web site and you can access all kinds of useful data.

+1 here...Project GC makes it super easy to find your duplicate logs. Tons of other stat info to look at too.