Advice Please

gardengorilla

Hi everyone, it's been a while! I WILL have a mailbox in less than two weeks...so that means trading again. YAY!!!

Anyway here is my dilemma:

I bought some geocoins that commemorate a local groups anniversary a while ago...then I get this email from the cacher that I bought them from. She noticed I hadn't activated the coins yet and decided to do it herself. That's right, she activated MY coins. Then she realized she could only put her caching name as owner and emailed to tell me this. I emailed back to say that you can actually swap owners via adoption.

I haven't heard back yet, though it has only been a day or two. She did wonder how to change ownership so I really hope that she sends me the adoption requests.

If she doesn't send them...what can I do?

Welcome back Bernice!!

First of all did you let her know that she was definitely out of line when she activated your coins? It makes me mad just thinking about it!

I'm not sure though what you can do. Maybe contact Groundspeak with all the emails that you have traded? But they probably wouldn't get in the middle. Suggest trading them back to her for unactivated coins and tell her to keep them unactivated.

Ok I know I haven't provided much advice but did want to say HI

Bernice, do it like an elementary school lesson plan :) It's possible that not understanding that they were yours to activate also meant that the email of 'now please adopt them to me' went soaring like an eagle overhead :huh: .

Explain that there is absolutely no requirement to activate your coins if you don't intent to release them. Now she's activated them into her account, she needs to 'adopt' them to you so they become 'your' coins online instead. Explain that she only has to initiate the process and then you complete it. After you accept the adoption, they will be electronically removed from her list of 'owned' trackables into yours.

Send her this link: http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ and tell her to enter the TB number that shows on each coin's page (not the tracking number). This number starts with TB and can be found on the SIXTH line on the LEFT of each trackable item's page.

If that doesn't work, I'd send a note to contact@geocaching.com with a photo of the coins that you 'own' and need to adopt to see if they'll help.

Good luck!

and I'll throw in a GO CANUCKS GO just for good measure B)

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed but I don't think it was done out of spite. I will still give her the benefit of the doubt...call me Canadian!!!!

There aren't any replacement coins as it was a 100 year anniversary coins circulated amongst a small group. I think my best option is to wait until I get an adoption request. Failing that, I will contact Groundspeak I guess. I didn't want them activated at least not both of them! But I can deal with it as long as I am on the coin's page.

Hi Bev:lol: it's great to Bee back!:rolleyes:

Bernice, do it like an elementary school lesson plan :) It's possible that not understanding that they were yours to activate also meant that the email of 'now please adopt them to me' went soaring like an eagle overhead :huh: .

Explain that there is absolutely no requirement to activate your coins if you don't intent to release them. Now she's activated them into her account, she needs to 'adopt' them to you so they become 'your' coins online instead. Explain that she only has to initiate the process and then you complete it. After you accept the adoption, they will be electronically removed from her list of 'owned' trackables into yours.

Send her this link: http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ and tell her to enter the TB number that shows on each coin's page (not the tracking number). This number starts with TB and can be found on the SIXTH line on the LEFT of each trackable item's page.

If that doesn't work, I'd send a note to contact@geocaching.com with a photo of the coins that you 'own' and need to adopt to see if they'll help.

Good luck!

and I'll throw in a GO CANUCKS GO just for good measure B)

Hi Helen, I did most of this though maybe I didn't explain it as such. I do think she really doesn't know what she is doing in regards to coins so very specific directions may be needed. The danger of minting a coin for a mostly non caching group and then making them the only outlet for acquisition! sheesh!

I wish I could take a pic...coins are still in the shipment! GAK!!

I am very disappointed in the Canucks last two games. I just can't take the needless violence though it is happening

on both sides to be sure. Maybe I've been away from hockey too long? You would think that Aussie rules football and rugby would have kept me used to violence but...

I still hope they win because they are 'Canadian' but I don't know how into the game I'll be. Yes, I will still watch. I was hockey starved for too long to ignore it.

I can't believe what dimwits some people can be..... wow. This takes the cake. I agree with the above.... deactivate with Groundspeak help or swap the activated coin for an unactivated one you had purchased but never really got!

Especially considering she minted the coins... I thought she would have some knowledge of how the process works.

Bernice, I hope that you get this sorted out soon, what a nuisance to have to deal with this.

Will you have any of your personals to trade at BotB in Three Hills? Did you see the Geocoin Event that A+T are organizing? So cool!!!

Yes, it is a pain. I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO! On the positive side, we got our shipment on Saturday AND it is one week until we take possession of our house :lol: YAY!

I don't have many personals left to trade (maybe time to talk about a Canadian version though a touchy subject witht the husband). I did send you one of each finish rememeber? And I still don't have the Landsharkz only finish....:rolleyes:

No I didn't see the geocoin event. Are we officially Mega yet?

?

sorry Keewee, I'm rarely on here anymore. I have been settling back in and trying to keep warm, lol. We have had a relatively warm winter so far and I have been doing a lot more caching because of that. I sure miss Australia and in particular the ocean though.

Yes, I was able to adopt the coins in the end. What a pain, but lessons learned I suppose.

?

sorry Keewee, I'm rarely on here anymore. I have been settling back in and trying to keep warm, lol. We have had a relatively warm winter so far and I have been doing a lot more caching because of that. I sure miss Australia and in particular the ocean though.

Yes, I was able to adopt the coins in the end. What a pain, but lessons learned I suppose.

Cool - glad there was a good resolution to it. :)

Yes... your climate there would be considerably different to that in Australia!! LOL

And, they're having continuing problems with flooding in Queensland, but you were on the other coast, weren't you?

Yes, Western Australia. Nothing there but sweltering heat and the occasional bushfire.

Wagga wagga the inland town which was the site of the first Oz mega event has had a lot of flooding...with interesting consequences. Apparently all the little critters, like spiders have no where to go but up when the ground is covered in water. Cringe

My link

Yikes! That's the sort of thing you see in horror movies :o .

GG, do you have any of your cool Aussie coins left to bring to the Island Spirit event this summer? A&T are once again organizing the geocoin event for Saturday evening.

We are moving hopefully this spring and when we unpack, we may actually find those coins I need to give you! LOL! Chris is threatening to build a wall display for all the coins and samples that we've made, bought, traded or been gifted. This could end up being a massive permanent coin display here at LSHQ.